Loft 25

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loft 25

i am considering to buy a condo at loft 25 (across from elliott houses). what are your thoughts on the neighborhood?

Re: Loft 25

I have former neighbors who bought in there-- WHAT A DISASTER! The neighborhood is still a bit sketchy late at night and, from what they've told me, the condos themselves have had tons of issues (i.e., shoddy construction, water leaks, busted pipes in the walls, etc...)

Think long and hard before going forward. You might want to hang out there in front of the bldg during an AM or PM "rush hour" and speak to some of the residents...

Comment

thank you for your reply. your comments regarding the area reflect my concerns.

however, the building is still in construction and will not be completed until october 2007. r we talking about the same building?

thank you

Comment

You're right. I"m thinking of the Loft Bldg/Conversion on 26th Street and 10th Ave. My apologies.

Still, North of 23rd by all the mechanic shops... quite transitional, and not done transitioning, yet

Comment

this will be my first purchase and i am quite new the process. do you think area will improve ina year with the higline and new condo development? or that block will still be somewhat removed? thks

Comment

Of course no one knows for sure what will happen in the real estate market but in my opinion it will be a great neighborhood.
            10 years ago many people told me not to buy on W. 22nd between 8-9th ave because of the neighborhood. Of course the apt. has appreciated in value 5-6 times it's original value and today I couldn't find a better block to live on.
            Good luck.

Comment

I agree with BobW22 because I remember Chelsea back in 1992 when I moved in. Arcadia (Formerly the big Cup) was two seperate stores: One was a shady 99 cents store, the other a poorly stocked local market/deli. I remember the tranny-hookers who befriended me as I'd walk my dog on 8th Ave late at night, and I remember that NOBODY went past 9th Ave at night unless they were lookin' for trouble. I remember when Bendix was the only really nice place to eat at, and when The Grand Chelsea went up on 17th and 8th and it was the first really big highrise on 8th Avenue-- across from the (then) Chelsea Gym-- and nobody thought it would ever last because who would pay to live in a building like that in a neighborhood like this? I remember when the rush of all the gay men out of the West Village into Chelsea (that made Chelsea what it is) happened in the early 90's. So, yes-- this neighborhood has come a really long way in the past 10-15 years. But as to your questions, Ronesans: "do you think area will improve in a year with the higline and new condo development? or that block will still be somewhat removed?"

I actually think it's going to take years . The work on the highline park redevolopement may be getting underway this coming month (Feb 07) however, please bear this in mind:

1) If all goes according to plan, the infrastructure and landscape work between Gansevoort and 20th Sts. will be completed and this section will open to visitors in the spring of 2008.

2) That's nearly 10 blocks south of where you're looking. For the rest of the work/ job to be complete, the expansion of construction on The Highline Park would need to extend north another 10 blocks or so and that might not be until 2009 or 2010. Now you're 3 years away.

3) If it's not the booming success it's predicted to be, you can be sure there will be no further northern expansion beyond the renovations to 20th Street. That would leave you in your hood in the far upper west 20's without the direct impact of that redevelopment.

4) Nobody is planning on removing the garages and projects over past 10th Ave.

So, overall, if you're looking to buy something and hoping for a massive change in a year or so, it's not a good idea for you. But, if like BobW22, you're willing to sit tight, enjoy your home and watch a neighborhood flourish around it over the next decade, then I think you might be on to something.

Comment

Stand in front on a weekend night around 11 for half an hour.

Most of what you see won't change, no matter what happens to the neighborhood. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but it is what it is.

Walk down 9th and you'll see the same thing. There are, for the most part, a certain type of businesses from 23rd down to ~18th, and then it gets very different for a couple blocks across from the projects, and then changes dramatically the block after they stop.

It's a big part of why I like the neighborhood, but in terms of investment, you should be aware of the impact the public housing has on blocks immediately adjacent (23rd btwn 8 and 9 being the possible exception, but that's enough of a thoroughfare that it's a different context).

Comment

I just purchased a unit in Loft 25 and I?m not too concerned about the public housing across the way. I currently live in London Terrace on the 24th Street side and I?ve seen so much development within a 3 block radius over the past year. There are so many luxury residential buildings (eg 200eleventh.com) and galleries (eg Chelsea Arts Tower) that have been built or are going up in the immediate area that it really doesn?t matter how long it takes to develop the High Line--the area has already changed dramatically.

Comment

Congrats on the new pad. :-)

One point I would make: While it's very optimistic to see all this development of the former wasteland that was West Chelsea, there is still an alarming rate of crime in the immediate 2 block vicinity of the projects. If you ever pick up a copy of Chelsea Now newspaper and check the crime reports- it's nearly ALWAYS right around the projects.

In fact, after just completing a month on Grand Jury Duty (what a nightmare to my schedule) the only cases that ever came before us from the Chelsea section of New York County were ones from the immediate vicinity of the projects over there.

Personally, I feel that The City needs to close those projects down or relocate them. Until something of that happens, there will always be a vacuum in that section of Chelsea that (literally) cannot "gentrify". I'd rather not live on the edge of it. I'm already too close for comfort. But ask me to pay in excess of $1M for a large 1 Br apt to live across the street???? No, thanks. I'll pass.

Comment

"Personally, I feel that The City needs to close those projects down or relocate them. Until something of that happens, there will always be a vacuum in that section of Chelsea that (literally) cannot "gentrify". I'd rather not live on the edge of it."

Really? Would you like to have your buiding "shut down"? This might come as a shock to you, but human beings live in the projects, and not everyone that lives there is a criminal. Many of them are hard working low-income or lower-middle-class working folks- it's the ones that commit crimes that give them a bad name. Some of the crime over in that area, btw, comes from people coming home from clubs high and drunk, and has nothing to do with the projects. I'm quite glad certain areas of Chelsea and NYC for that matter "cannot gentrify". I know it's hard to believe, but everyone doesn't have money and people need a place to live. Affordable housing is just as important as "luxury" towers and lofts.

Comment

Originally posted by phtp2 View Post
                        "Personally, I feel that The City needs to close those projects down or relocate them. Until something of that happens, there will always be a vacuum in that section of Chelsea that (literally) cannot "gentrify". I'd rather not live on the edge of it."

Really? Would you like to have your buiding "shut down"? This might come as a shock to you, but human beings live in the projects, and not everyone that lives there is a criminal. Many of them are hard working low-income or lower-middle-class working folks- it's the ones that commit crimes that give them a bad name. Some of the crime over in that area, btw, comes from people coming home from clubs high and drunk, and has nothing to do with the projects. I'm quite glad certain areas of Chelsea and NYC for that matter "cannot gentrify". I know it's hard to believe, but everyone doesn't have money and people need a place to live. Affordable housing is just as important as "luxury" towers and lofts.

phtp25: Very, very well said. Thank you for posting this.

Comment

I take great exception to the notion that "the projects need to be shut down and relocated." First of all, thank you phpt2 for stating the obvious. Not eveyone coming out of the "projects," is or ever have been a criminal.

I grew up with dozens of people, many of whom are my good friends still today, who were born and raised in Chelsea, and who came out of those projects. And, might I add also, that many of those people or "element," would be homeless were it not for the fact that they got an apt. in those projects. They were and are able to raise up their families with some stability and grace.

IMHO, it's the muckity, mucks who are messing up this nabe. What with their endless resources, their relentless need to "gentrify," and change what used to be a real neighborhood. Not a pretentious, over-developed cookie cutter iron horse (so-to-speak).

Yes, I agree, there is some major and scary crime happening in and around the projects; true enough. However, I have to agree that a lot of it is also a result of the B & T crowd who come to Chelsea and get soused, high and stupid.

Comment

PHTP2 AND CC69:

I was born and and have lived my whole life on 23rd Street. There is no way that I could agree with each of you more. Thank both of you for these two well-written, thoughtful and heartfelt posts, perhaps two of the most important that have ever been on CYB. What you say is EXACTLY what a "neighborhood" is about; it is exactly what life in any small-town in the world is about, and New York is really made up of a series of "small towns" on a scale grander than anywhere else. I'll bite my tongue here and let it go at that; this is an issue that can get me going and it's probably best for me to remember that discretion is, indeed, the better part of valour. Anyway, CONGRATULATIONS on what you wrote. By the way, CC69, what the heck does "IMHO" mean?

Comment

"In my humble opinion..."

"CC"

Comment

Working...
                              X