Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone hit on 9th ave

Hi all.

I was on the 9th ave bus and passed by a scene. Ambulance, cops, big truck and a guy laying on the street with a white sheet over him. Lots of bike messengers around.

Anyone get any news on what happened there today? It was a little past noon on Thursday. Looked very bad.

Re: Someone hit on 9th ave

I live on 9th Ave. What street? I haven't heard a thing about it at all. That's terrible. A white sheet can only mean one thing; and, that isn't good.

Comment

Unfortunately I read it in the Times. A flatbed truck was making the turn and ran over the 22 year old messenger and killed him.

Comment

Oh wow! How awful. Thanks for the update.

Comment

Thanks, for the info Jim.

Comment

Here's what I found online at the Times..

Manhattan: Bike Messenger Killed

By EMILY VASQUEZ
            Published: August 11, 2006

A 20-year-old bike messenger was killed yesterday when he collided with a flatbed truck carrying construction materials at Ninth Avenue and 29th Street, the police said. The driver of the truck had stopped at the intersection. When the traffic light turned green, he turned right onto 29th Street, into the path of the bicyclist. The messenger, Darren Lewis, of Manhattan, was the seventh bicyclist to be killed in an accident this year in the city, the police said. Twelve were killed in 2005. He worked for Urban Express, a courier company, for about a year, a company spokesman said. The police called the collision an accident and said no charges would be filed. A representative of Transportation Alternatives, a group that promotes safe streets for cyclists, said accidents in which a vehicle turns into the path of a cyclist are so common that they are known among cyclists as “right hooks.”

Comment

Yeah, we were around just after that happened, with all the cops, white sheet, etc, but didn't see the accident happen. It's so incredibly sad. Also scary. We turn at the intersection basically every day to get to the bike path...most of the time take the path and cut in, to minimize riding in NYC traffic.

It's absurd that this city doesn't bend over backwards (or at least make some small attempt) to be bicycle friendly, and safe. Not to ignore the river and central park paths, those are appreciated, but we could benefit so much in so many ways from seperate, safe bike lanes on every street. It's the most dangerous place to bike, and the place that most needs to cut down on traffic congestion, noise and pollution, and yet even the few "bike lanes" like the one on sixth avenue are ignored by drivers double parking (often cops) swerving into the lane without looking to make turns. In my dream version of NYC there's a seperate bike lane next to every sidewalk, gated off, then priority lanes for emergency vehicles, delivery trucks, moving vans, and cabs. If individual drivers don't like getting stuck in the traffic of the remaining single lane, they can take the train into town instead. It's too expensive to drive anyway. And if you live in Manhattan and own a car, you should have priority parking here, and use your car mostly to get out of the city- which I think is what most of us with cars do anyway, could be wrong. Anyway, I don't know how to actually do city planning like that, but if so many European cities can manage it, why not us? Even with just the avenues having decent bike lanes it would be a safer, healthier place, better air, more people of every age exercising while noiselessly, fuel-lessly getting around...and in the winter using the subways and buses. Rather than the few people who DO travel in a way that doesn't hurt anyone, being the most in danger of being hurt, or killed.

But to come back from the tangent, the death on that corner is incredibly sad, and I'm so sorry for him and those he left behind.

Comment

I honestly don't know how anyone can afford to own a bike here. They get stolen so often. I've had two stolen this year -- and simply can't afford to keep buying new ones everytime one gets stolen. It's almost impossible to take your bike anywhere and park it for more than an hour without it getting stolen.

More bike lanes would be great - but if motorists aren't taught to respect them they're pretty useless. I'm surprised the driver involved in this accident wasn't charged with anything. You would think if you accidentally hit a pedestrian or a biker and kill him that you would at least be charged with something . It is against the law to hit pedestrians/bikers with motorized vehicles so I'm not sure how it is that he was charged with nothing.

It certainly does nothing to promote an atmosphere of respect for bikers when a driver who kills one, even by accident, is charged with nothing.

Comment

Jon,

Owning a bike here isn't easy. Riding a bike in NYC is....risky, to say the least and IMHO, insane. But it's convenient, saves money and the environment, and I commend anyone who's brave enough to go for it.

My husband is one who loves biking and has had at least half a dozen bikes stolen from the street. Good bikes and crappy bikes. Good locks, chains, and all. Not to mention countless tires. We finally find a solution. It now lives in our hallway. A pain in the butt (literally) but guess what? It's still there. As far as when you're out, I suppose the best you can do is get the best lock available and chains. Make it more inconvenient to steal. Take your front wheel and seat off. If possible, keep it within your view. But, you have to know, it's a gamble.

I got some more info on this accident, BTW. It seems the messenger was hanging out talking to some friends or a friend. When they were ready to leave, one friend told him to "go ahead" and he took off. Right into the path of the coming truck.

Apparently, the driver is not always held responsible and charged in these cases. Sometimes, the one hit is partly at fault. Awhile back, a young girl out walking the family dog was hit by a SUV. The dog took off into the street and she ran after it. The driver did not see her. She died. Imagine how awful for both the mother and the driver, who was a mom, herself.

Right or wrong, the pedestrian or the biker is in more danger on the streets and needs to always be alert. Sometimes vehicles come out of nowhere or lose control.

Comment

After living in Seattle for many years, I am still amazed by this city. Part of the problem is the fact that everyone is in a hurry and the aggression, etc.
                    The reality is that when a pedestrian has a walk sign, many cabs or drivers will run you over and think they have the right of way. From what I remember learning to drive in CT and living in Seattle, Pedestrians have the right of way. For whatever reason, New Yorker's function on an opposite premise. Part of this is the crazy cab culture, crowded everything, and people who grew up in cultures where driving laws are different.

I ride my bike a decent amount in the summer and am scared every time that I ride on the streets. I do not trust anyone on the road and it is amazing what NYC will let their drivers do and justify it as normal. Culture grows over time and is hard or nearly impossible to change.

Comment

The "New York State of Mind" on this is really quite simple:

If you're a pedestrian - every driver and bicyclist is actively trying to kill YOu - specifically

If you're a driver or a cyclist - every pedestrian is actively looking to get killed BY you - specifically

Comment

Working...
                      X