Book guys at 25th & 9th

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book guys at 25th & 9th

Has anyone else noticed the new encampment at 25th and 9th? (On 9th Ave, the west side.) The bodega next to Dunkin' Donuts closed down, and shortly thereafter a guy with a tableful of books moved in front. He's been steadily adding tables and friends over the past two weeks... now there's a sidewalkful of lawn furniture and crates full of books out there all the time.

The group gets pretty loud during the day and they seem to be settling in to live there at night. I've called 311 a couple of times... is this bothering anyone else?

Re: Book guys at 25th & 9th

I've noticed them when I'm down that way... Can't say they've bothered me, though I'm sure I'd feel differently if I lived in the nearby vicinity and they were loud/living there on the sidewalk. Usually I like browsing books on the street, but these seem particularly dirty and haven't wanted to touch them, really! The guys are friendly though, at least the few I've passed by, which is better than crazy.

I feel for you if you have to walk through them to get home or listen to their noise... it may help if other people call 311 as well. Not sure selling books is illegal- is it? But living there and hanging out causing a ruckus certainly is.

Comment

I walk by them every day as I go to and from work. They are right at my corner. And yes, it's growing larger day by day. That corner is already crowded with the kids hanging out at the bodega and Dunkin Donuts and the book people are just adding to it. The whole area there is looking more and more tacky.
      I haven't called 311 yet for that, because I've had to call so often for noise and drug deals and fights, etc.
      The police, for some strange reason, really do not want to deal with this street at all. The half block on 25th up to 9th Ave and half way down that block is just a mess. I just don't get it.

Comment

The cops did come check it out the first time I called - they said something to the guy, who started putting books into a crate, but then didn't leave. I called again but didn't see any cop activity after that.

I honestly didn't mind when it was one guy and one table. But now it's a bunch of tables, benches and chairs that are out there all the time, and 2-3 guys who are getting loud. Sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by xgirlny View Post
          The cops did come check it out the first time I called - they said something to the guy, who started putting books into a crate, but then didn't leave. I called again but didn't see any cop activity after that.

I honestly didn't mind when it was one guy and one table. But now it's a bunch of tables, benches and chairs that are out there all the time, and 2-3 guys who are getting loud. Sigh.

I agree. Now that it's a business going, on an already crowded side walk, it is becoming a problem. Maybe if more people call the police, they'll do something.

And when it gets colder, it may solve the problem.

Comment

I hear that as long as they have one book on a table, they are protected by the first amendment. A lot of folks use this protection to "hang out" and sometimes aggressively panhandle. We have a bunch down on 13th street who set up chairs and even have a TV tapped into the light pole. It appears, again, that the street situation is out of control.
            roby2000

Comment

Originally posted by roby2000 View Post
              I hear that as long as they have one book on a table, they are protected by the first amendment. A lot of folks use this protection to "hang out" and sometimes aggressively panhandle. We have a bunch down on 13th street who set up chairs and even have a TV tapped into the light pole. It appears, again, that the street situation is out of control.

Has it ever been under control? And I ask that seriously.

Comment

I called 311 today and gave them a full report. I recognize the woman who is obviously mentally challenged and very unhealthy looking. She used to hang around the area on 8th Ave. on the east side of the avenue, near the UPS store and the pizza shop and the hair salon -- I guess that's about 25th Street. i've seen her cursing people. Poor thing -- she needs so much care. She now has set up home on 9th and 25th. Let's see if 311 acts on this.

Comment

Has it ever been under control? And I ask that seriously.

Sadly, you're right. It just seemed to get a wee bit better last Spring, or so it seemed to me. Of course I'm often wrong.
                  roby2000

Comment

I walked past that corner yesterday evening and noticed that everything--furniture, tables, and people--was gone. Did the police or one of the crisis centers intervene?

Comment

The book guy is still there during the day, but the whole situation is a lot quieter and less messy than it was a couple of weeks ago.

Comment

Working...
                      X