Update

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update

I sent a letter to my management company asking to be released from my lease. Of course they said, "we don't want to lose you" and asked me to wait another month to see if any apts come available in the back of my building. Well, its the middle of July and as people need to give 30 days notice, I'm pretty sure that no one is moving out on August 1st. So, I'll be calling them to let them know that I'm giving my notice as of August 1st. I don't want to lose my security, but things on this street are only getting worse as summer goes on. I was also thinking of possibly just stop paying rent and let the 4 months security deposit just pay my rent! I don't know how long eviction proceedings take. But, I really don't want to hang here for 4 months, so I'm willing to lose it if I must. I won't send in the rent for August, thats for sure.

Re: Update

4 months' security deposit! Yikes! That's a lot to lose. It must be pretty bad if you're willing to lose that. Anyway, sounds like you're doing the right thing Irish, keeping your landlord posted about your intentions. Maybe they will find you something on the back of the buildling.

I would tell you that evictions can take a very long time - like up to a year - but since you can't stand living there any longer anyway - I guess it doesn't really matter. Good luck! Hope you'll stay in Chelsea though. Any ideas where you might go?

Comment

I'm considering a move to Philadelphia (where I'm originally from). I haven't lived there in over 25 years, but thinking it might be a good move. Still not sure but it's one of my choices. Or back to LA (where I moved here from). Lastly, if I can find an apt. on a decent block in Chelsea...but we all know how hard that can be!

Comment

Yikes! I thought you would maybe go to Hell's Kitchen or Murray Hill - Not Philadelphia or LA! When you move - sounds like you really move!

Comment

hi was reading abt ur situation i so understand exactly what ur talking abt, have u tried http://www.nyc.gov/html/hpd/html/apa...otteries.shtml they have some real nice places going up just a suggestion. hoping it helps you.

Comment

You might try going to the Assemblyman's office on 27th Street bet. 7th & 8th Aves. They usually post the times of the free housing legal clinics (which, I believe, are weekly) so you can get some legal advice. Also, they post the new construction listings for "affordable" apartments. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
            X