X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irishdjd
    started a topic The saga continues

The saga continues

Well, I had a very interesting conversation with the police yesterday. As usual on Saturday morning, across the street from me there is the "yard sale" at the Chelsea Elliott housing project. And this one guy sells his pirated music without a permit blasting his boom box violating the noise ordinance. This has been going on for 10 weeks. As usual, I called 311 to make my weekly complaint. I asked if there was a way I could make a complaint against the police who don't do anything about this. They gave me some numbers to call. One number I got was the Housing Authority police. So, I called them and complained. They said they'd get someone out. They didn't. I called precinct 10.

A cop car came by, driving down the street, not stopping. I called again, a cop car came down the street, parked, no one got out or talked to the guy. In fact the guy saw the police and walked up the block trying to mix into the crowd. He knew he could get in trouble! The police left, he went right back. I called again. This time I made a complaint that every time I've called the police about anything going on in this street, the police ride by, windows up, non-stop and never address any of the problems. The cop I talked to said he would send an officer who he promised would get out of the car and talk to the man. This happened! They told him to turn his music off, which he did. They left and he promptly turned his music back on!

And yes, I called again!!! The cop told me they can't watch the man all day, they have other things that are priorities. I said that there is a bigger problem on this street that is not being addressed. I called the police on Thursday night at 2AM because some kids where shooting off firecrackers and rockets at each other! The police rode down the street, non-stop!! I told the officer about the drug deals on the street, the drinking, the constant noise. I said these are "quality of life" issues which don't seem to matter! He said they don't have the manpower to do everything they need to do. He told me I should go to the Community Board. I told him I've written to them, they said they'd take my concerns to a meeting, and when I tried to follow up, I got no return call.

I told the officer I feel sad that I am going to be pushed out of my neighborhood because of the bad behavior of a minority of people. The vast majority of the people in this block want a peaceful life. The police and the city aren't going to do anything about it. He told me he agrees its sad and that at the first opportunity he has, he wants to "get out of this city"!!!

I realize now, that there really isn't much to do. I have written my letter to the management company asking to be released from my lease. Hopefully they will as I don't want to loose my security. If they don't, I'll just move out anyway.
    So yes, I have been run out of my own neighborhood!

• Irishdjd
    replied
    Re: The saga continues

I thank everyone for the advice and support. I think, how crazy is it that I have to spend so much of my own time pursuing different city agencies and departments to get some help? Aside from my job, this has become a part time job! I don't want to live like this. I want to come home and just enjoy my own space and relax.

I've only lived in NY 7 years total, but I feel so much of my time is spent "dealing" with living here in one way or another.

When I move, it's either going to be out of Manhattan, maybe Brooklyn, or back to CA. I'm over this. Which saddens me as NY does have a lot to offer....if you are very well off!

Leave a comment:

• Vespa
    replied

Yeah and like how much rent do they pay in that building?

Leave a comment:

• Vespa
    replied

FYI-from an older notice

Working with the New York Police Department's (NYPD) Civil Division Legal Bureau to utilize anti-nuisance laws to pursue repeated instances of music piracy activities at business establishments. The RIAA has helped New York City law enforcement bring 45 cases as part of the "Padlock Initiative," including efforts pending in Harlem/125th Street area, Elmhurst/Roosevelt area of Queens, several areas in Brooklyn, mid-town Manhattan between 23rd and 34th, and Canal Street.

Leave a comment:

• Vespa
    replied

I would take photos or a video and send to the Piracy unit of the police, i believe they have one that cracks down on bootleggers.

Leave a comment:

• Irishdjd
    replied

When I moved into this apt. 5 months ago, I hesitated, but had no idea how bad it could really be. In March, it didn't seem so bad. In fact, I saw the playground and that is what worried me. Little did I know that it would be the adults not the kids that would be the problem!

Leave a comment:

• dmarie
    replied

Too many years out west. It's nice to live like a civilized person and not have to be subjected to the inconsiderate or ignorate.

I feel for ya Irish but, honestly you could'nt give me an apt across the street from the project never mind me buying one .

I live in Penn South I'm close enough

D

Leave a comment:

• Irishdjd
    replied

Unfortunately, I'm beginning to understand that's true. So often here people say, "that's New York" in response to just about anything that is unpleasant.
    I lived here in the mid-70's and though it was a gritty and kind of scary city, it was also the most interesting place I'd ever seen! The arts were so creative, there was just so much interesting stuff going on.
    Now it feels like a big shopping mall that attracts tons of formerly "suburban" types to come and live and visit here. It is not the city I knew from my youth...many say it's great progress. I say, at best, its mixed results.

I am thinking seriously about returning to California where I moved here from. Even though I was born an Easterner, I just don't think I fit in here anymore. Too many years out west.

Leave a comment:

• dmarie
    replied

you call 911 they tell you to call "311" how helpful

311 = not important enough to send the police.

Manhattan is a great place to visit, but if you want to live peacefully don't be a resident. Unless you live on Park Ave.

jmho
    D

Leave a comment:

• JimR
    replied

The bike messengers are the worst

Leave a comment:

• AEG
    replied

Originally posted by terrace_rat View Post
    the morons who ride on the sidewalk.
    I refer to them as roving land mines.

Leave a comment:

• terrace_rat
    replied

I recently came very close to having a major accident on my bike, caused by an idiot who was riding in the wrong direction in the bike lane on 8th Avenue. Seriously scary. And my dog has nearly been hit on more than one occasion by the morons who ride on the sidewalk.

I'm glad to know the police actually recognize those offenses as crimes. And I think they should ticket your local yard saler, too.

Leave a comment:

• Irishdjd
    replied

Really? Going the wrong way???? Geez, I see that a hundred times a day. But real criminals can get away with ANYTHING!!!

What a city!

Leave a comment:

• JimR
    replied

A guy that works at the church I volunteer at was also ticketed for riding his bike the wrong way on 7th Ave. It's amazing they worry more about this than true crime

Leave a comment:

• Irishdjd
    replied

He was ticketed for riding his bike through Central Park. Apparently it's not allowed. I have another friend who rides his bike everywhere and he was near his house and rode up on the sidewalk for about 20 feet to lock his bike up, he was ticketed too! The police have time for that kind of thing it seems, but not enough resources to take care of real problems.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X