The saga continues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The saga continues

Well, I had a very interesting conversation with the police yesterday. As usual on Saturday morning, across the street from me there is the "yard sale" at the Chelsea Elliott housing project. And this one guy sells his pirated music without a permit blasting his boom box violating the noise ordinance. This has been going on for 10 weeks. As usual, I called 311 to make my weekly complaint. I asked if there was a way I could make a complaint against the police who don't do anything about this. They gave me some numbers to call. One number I got was the Housing Authority police. So, I called them and complained. They said they'd get someone out. They didn't. I called precinct 10.

A cop car came by, driving down the street, not stopping. I called again, a cop car came down the street, parked, no one got out or talked to the guy. In fact the guy saw the police and walked up the block trying to mix into the crowd. He knew he could get in trouble! The police left, he went right back. I called again. This time I made a complaint that every time I've called the police about anything going on in this street, the police ride by, windows up, non-stop and never address any of the problems. The cop I talked to said he would send an officer who he promised would get out of the car and talk to the man. This happened! They told him to turn his music off, which he did. They left and he promptly turned his music back on!

And yes, I called again!!! The cop told me they can't watch the man all day, they have other things that are priorities. I said that there is a bigger problem on this street that is not being addressed. I called the police on Thursday night at 2AM because some kids where shooting off firecrackers and rockets at each other! The police rode down the street, non-stop!! I told the officer about the drug deals on the street, the drinking, the constant noise. I said these are "quality of life" issues which don't seem to matter! He said they don't have the manpower to do everything they need to do. He told me I should go to the Community Board. I told him I've written to them, they said they'd take my concerns to a meeting, and when I tried to follow up, I got no return call.

I told the officer I feel sad that I am going to be pushed out of my neighborhood because of the bad behavior of a minority of people. The vast majority of the people in this block want a peaceful life. The police and the city aren't going to do anything about it. He told me he agrees its sad and that at the first opportunity he has, he wants to "get out of this city"!!!

I realize now, that there really isn't much to do. I have written my letter to the management company asking to be released from my lease. Hopefully they will as I don't want to loose my security. If they don't, I'll just move out anyway.
    So yes, I have been run out of my own neighborhood!

Re: The saga continues

Wow, that's quite a story Irishdjd. And I totally relate to you. Not to get political about it but I remember "community policing" under Giuliani where the police would respond seriously to "little" complaints like this because they realized people doing things like what this guy is doing are likely to commit other crimes as well. And if you can stop them during the "little" crimes you'll stop bigger crimes. And crime plummeted during that time.

Now, it seems impossible to get the police to respond to things like this. I used to call them about the screaming that took place at 4 in the morning at the 30th St. crack house. They'd show up maybe an hour later, look around and see nothing and move on. Well, of course they saw nothing because the screamer had left long ago! If it takes them an hour to show up why do they even bother? Anyway, I share your frustrations. And it's a real shame that for whatever reason the city has decided to stop enforcing so many of its laws, because they're too unimportant.

I don't know if crime is going up or down or staying about the same but I'd really be surprised if it's not going up. Personally, the way I'm seeing things going I fear the city is headed back towards its pre-Giuliani chaos.

Comment

Hi Irish:

The night you called the police at 2 A.M., I also called the cops. The firecrackers woke me out of a sound sleep. A car did actually ride east on 26th Street and stop and I did in fact see 2 officers get out and walk toward the courtyard between 425 and 428 (between 26th & 25th Sts.) As soon as I saw them heading towards the courtyard, I noticed that the firecrackers stopped. So that's good.

That said, I am sorry that you feel you're being run out of your neighborhood though. It's a shame that circumstances such as these types of disturbances, are pushing you out. I do wonder though, if and when the people at the heart of the disturbance want to get some peace & quiet, how do they handle all the racket downstairs affecting their "quality of life?" I have a couple of theories, but I think I'll keep them to myself.

Like I posted on a previous thread, I had a friend who lived at 412 and left to move to Park Slope. Hanging out at her house was like being at a block party sometimes; and, she lived on the 4th Floor! So I totally hear what you're saying.

Good luck.

"CC"

Comment

CC - no - don't keep your thoughts to yourself! Share them with us! I'd like to hear your thoughts on the people at the heart of the disturbance.

Comment

Thanks Charles and CC for your comments. I agree that when Guliani was mayor, this sort of stuff got attention real fast. Not that I'm a huge fan of his for other reasons, but Quality of Life issues really did seem to matter. I even said that to the cop I talked to on the phone. He kept saying that they have fewer police now and that is part of the problem. I guess that is Bloomberg trying to run the city like a business and save money!

I'm glad to hear that the police did get out of their car the other night, but I assure you that is not why the firecrackers stopped. I think they were just finished with their "fun" because their leaving was not in response to anyone approaching them. I was able to see the whole incident clearly.

CC, I must live in the exact apt. your friend did! I'm at 412 on the 4th floor!

And here is what is so crazy about this to me. A friend of mine who is an architect, lives in Chelsea (owns), pays his taxes, has lived in NY for 15 years, was riding his bike home from work a few weeks ago. He rode through Central Park. He was ticketed, had to take time off from work to go to court and pay a fine! But this idiot can be outside every Saturday, selling illegal CD's, without a permit to sell and break the noise ordinance and nothing can be done! The priorities here are really screwy!

Anyway, I don't know where I'll end up, but I plan to be out of here no later than September!

Comment

Ticketing a bicycle rider

Originally posted by Irishdjd View Post
            riding his bike home from work a few weeks ago. He rode through Central Park. He was ticketed...
            What was he ticketed for?

Comment

He was ticketed for riding his bike through Central Park. Apparently it's not allowed. I have another friend who rides his bike everywhere and he was near his house and rode up on the sidewalk for about 20 feet to lock his bike up, he was ticketed too! The police have time for that kind of thing it seems, but not enough resources to take care of real problems.

Comment

A guy that works at the church I volunteer at was also ticketed for riding his bike the wrong way on 7th Ave. It's amazing they worry more about this than true crime

Comment

Really? Going the wrong way???? Geez, I see that a hundred times a day. But real criminals can get away with ANYTHING!!!

What a city!

Comment

I recently came very close to having a major accident on my bike, caused by an idiot who was riding in the wrong direction in the bike lane on 8th Avenue. Seriously scary. And my dog has nearly been hit on more than one occasion by the morons who ride on the sidewalk.

I'm glad to know the police actually recognize those offenses as crimes. And I think they should ticket your local yard saler, too.

Comment

Originally posted by terrace_rat View Post
                      the morons who ride on the sidewalk.
                      I refer to them as roving land mines.

Comment

The bike messengers are the worst

Comment

you call 911 they tell you to call "311" how helpful

311 = not important enough to send the police.

Manhattan is a great place to visit, but if you want to live peacefully don't be a resident. Unless you live on Park Ave.

jmho
                          D

Comment

Unfortunately, I'm beginning to understand that's true. So often here people say, "that's New York" in response to just about anything that is unpleasant.
                            I lived here in the mid-70's and though it was a gritty and kind of scary city, it was also the most interesting place I'd ever seen! The arts were so creative, there was just so much interesting stuff going on.
                            Now it feels like a big shopping mall that attracts tons of formerly "suburban" types to come and live and visit here. It is not the city I knew from my youth...many say it's great progress. I say, at best, its mixed results.

I am thinking seriously about returning to California where I moved here from. Even though I was born an Easterner, I just don't think I fit in here anymore. Too many years out west.

Comment

Too many years out west. It's nice to live like a civilized person and not have to be subjected to the inconsiderate or ignorate.

I feel for ya Irish but, honestly you could'nt give me an apt across the street from the project never mind me buying one .

I live in Penn South I'm close enough

D

Comment

Working...
                              X