How to break a lease?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to break a lease?

Does anyone have advice on how to break a lease?
    I moved into a studio apt on 25th St. across from the project. Unfortunately my apt faces the street. I literally have no slept through one single night since I've moved here 4 months ago! The noise is so unreal!! Just last night, there was a "party" in the playground with HUGE speakers blarring music. With my windows closed and the AC on I could hear the words of the music, let alone hearing the vibrations on my windows. I did call the police, they came, the music went down a little, the police left, the music was cranked right back up. I called the police again, they said they'd have the Housing Authority police take care of it. Eventually, it seems they did stop it...or was it the rain?
    Anyway, I'm sick of the trash all over the streets, the drug deals, the screaming and hollering that goes on into the wee hours of the morning....and then forget about it on weekends! the Club traffic.
    I have written the state Senator, City Council, the Community Board, and called the police. Nothing has improved. There is NEVER a police presence out here day or night.
    I feel my only recourse is to move. And I need to break the lease and don't want to lose my deposit, which is substantial.

I love Chelsea..it is literally just this block that is a living hell!

Any advice?

Thanks!

Re: How to break a lease?

Hi Irish...:

I found this information on the below website. It might help you out. Tenant-dot-net, is a pretty good resource for leaseholders.

I hope this helps...a little.

http://tenant.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=27070

BTW, my friend used to live at 412 W. 25th Street in a studio, after like 9 years, she finally had enough of the noise, etc. (I've mentioned her situation before in previous posts on different threads), and she just got the *$%@! out. She couldn't take it either. I grew up here on 26th Street (at P.S.), and had many, many friends who are still my friends today from the projects. All I can say is, things have really, really changed for the worse! I wouldn't even walk down those 2 blocks now, alone at night, and the noise level is friggin' ridiculous! So, I can well understand why you feel the need to relocate.

I wish you luck and a good night's sleep...

"CC"

Comment

Unfortunately, I do not have an answer for Irish, however, ChelseaChicks reply is a reminder as to why this blog is so important and useful. Someone will always have an answer or advice or someway of helping our fellow neighbors. I'm happy to belong and hope that someday I too will be of help to someone.

Comment

Great sentiment Izzy & Mo! I for one, appreciate your being a part of this "community" as well.

Happy Memorial Day!

"CC"

Comment

Thanks CC for your reply! I live in the same building your friend lived in. I wrote the Management Co. and asked them if they had any other apts. on the other side of the building. If they don't, then I will proceed on trying to break my lease.
          Friends keep telling me that when Loft 25 opens, that things will get better. They say that people who pay 2 million dollars for an apt. will not put up with this craziness. Maybe true, but I think it will be a year or more before anything will improve. I can't wait that long.
          I'd hate to leave Chelsea, especially as I work 7 blocks from where I live, but it might just have to be.

It is great having "neighbors" who are so supportive on this board!

Comment

Irish, boy can I ever relate to what you said. I live on W 30th bet 8th & 9th and it's a nightmare out there. I've actually had thoughts of moving myself!

Anyway, I give this advice not from a legal standpoint, but from a practical one. I don't know how big the buildilng is you live in or how much they might try to chase you down, but when I was in a very similar situation a few years ago - I just moved out. And I'll admit, I lived there for a month and a half without paying rent because I had put down a month and a half rent and I knew they weren't going to give me my deposit back.

Anyway, in the end not a damn thing happened. I never heard from them again. They never tried to contact me. I think they were just happy I didn't try to live there for 6 months without paying rent - which you can do and get away with in this crazy city! Oh, I did complain to them very strongly for a couple of months before I decided to do this - so they knew why I left and they knew it was because they hadn't been completely honest with me about the apartment before I moved in.

Comment

Oh, and Izzy&Mo - great point! I have to say I am constantly amazed at how people on this site - how someone ALWAYS has an answer to seemingly almost anything! We should do a test and just ask unanswerable questions and see if they get answers. I bet they would! And good ones too.

Comment

Irishdjd, I'm sorry to hear about the problems you're having with the apartment! I hope your landlord might have something on the other side of the building to offer you.

If not, what CharlesB has suggested is definitely an option. Another one might be to sublet the apartment. That way, you're out of there, but you're not breaking the lease. If you advertised at one of the local colleges, like FIT, you'd undoubtedly find folks willing to rent the place.

Comment

Alexis, good suggestion about posting an ad at FIT. Absolutely Irish, you really should put it out there. Just be careful though, my friend went through hell just trying to get reimbursed for her toilet not working. If memory serves me correctly, the prop. mgr. and landlord who were there and might still be there, are real "...busters!" If you know what I mean.

But anyhoo, best of luck, and please keep us posted.

Cheers!

"CC"

Comment

The "not paying the rent" angle seems to be a way. If you break a lease, in a normal city with vacancies and cheaper rents, they will go after you for the lease term rent and keep your deposit. If you walk on a lease in NYC, they will get a new tenant at an increased rent in 24 hours. If you can't amicably part, with your deposit, then the stop payment may be the way to go. I know people who have done it, but I am not a legal expert and I am really speaking from an emotional standpoint because someone who likes the neighborhood is being forced to flee. And that is not a good thing.
                    roby2000

Comment

I really appreciate the feedback from everyone! The management company did respond to a letter I wrote them asking if there were any apts in the rear of the building. They said there was one apt open and I could move into it, but it is in the front two floors up. That doesn't solve my problem, but did make me feel better that they at least responded. Now, I think I might have a better chance of breaking the lease. That's my next move..to do it legally and be able to get my deposit back. I'll let you all know how it goes!

Comment

Yeah, definitely let us know. It will be interesting to hear what happens. Just stay in Chelsea if you move though.

Comment

Again Irish, best of luck and I too hope you remain in Chelsea.

Cheers!

"CC"

Comment

wow i just got hip to this new blog thingy, i was born and raised here in chelsea i loved this neighborhood and still do unfortunately i know of all the %(&^$# that goes on here, when we moved here i was 4 and we sold a house from the village to these projects it was lovely then they investigated ur *** to move in here and the neighborhood had a mixture of race and we all got along and grew up together and still today many of us have gone gotten married and even have come back and raised our children here there are the few that dont appreciate what they have and yes these new developements going up are pretty costly for this neighborhood and its said of the disturbance but we have to all take a stand whenever necessary

Comment

Working...
                            X