thefts at Chelsea rec center (25th)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thefts at Chelsea rec center (25th)

I know about a year ago they were really bad.
    I was discussing it with a woman who had lost $100, and she thought it was the employees. I kind of agreed, because, other than the rowdy kids that come in, the people that "cleanup", had been locking people out for 45 minutes at a time.
    Does anyone know anything more about this?
    I'm posting now because now they won't allow combination locks. My theory was that those locks did/do keep out thefts from clients, but not from 'inside jobs'.
    (I've always felt the staff, even the management, was very attitude-y, if not downright unfriendly.)
    K.

Re: thefts at Chelsea rec center (25th)

I had to stop going there, I was so creeped out by the staff and some clients, and even though it's only $75 a year, I ended up going to Bally (mistake), where ironically I had $100 taken from my locker the first week I joined.

Comment

We are so lucky to live in Penn South where cooperators can join our wonderful exercise room without any problems. We have all of the equipment necessary. Although the room is small and we do not have showers we need not worry about lockers. We can leave our valuables without worrying someone will steal stuff from us. I can go and wash down the equipment while walking away for a minute and leaving my fannypack on the equipment with a little money in it. It's such a community here and I think we all trust each other pretty much. Many times its the same people in at the same time too so socially its nice too to make friends. I do not find the need to walk over to the city recreation centr although I qualify for that senior discount. Yes it does cost a little more in our special room but well worth it.

Comment

My fellow CYBers: first rule about any gym in NYC is not to lock valuables in your locker. Leave 'em home. If you use a daily locker, try to vary your locations. Use a heavy-duty key lock, like a Master lock. Don't skimp and buy one of those Jack's .99 jobs. Oh yeah, did I mention not to lock valuables in your lock?

Vidis: I used to go to the Chelsea Rec Center, too. When it first opened it was great. Clean, safe, not too crowded. After a few months, however, it started to go downhill. The lockers were falling apart, the floor in the locker room was always dirty, the pool was overcrowded and the water cold, and the weight equipment was in disrepair. $75 per year. The aphorism "you get what you pay for" has never been so true.

Comment

Well I still use their pool, where it is sort of Russian roulette of whether it will be warm that day. I just deal with the attitude -- I've gotten in a couple of arguments -- and use a Master lock. I don't have the kind of life where I can go to the gym and then go home. Most of the time I have to go onto something else, and I can't leave everything home!K.

Comment

I met a woman at muhlenberg who said she was assaulted by someone during a swim at the pool a couple of summers back, yea they're a strange bunch. they got sore at me because they were using ammonia to mop floors during public classes. I tried to talk to the director but he was busy doin nothin so I emailed the commissioner, they threw me shade for along time but now I think they're over it, I lost three relatives from lung disease so I wasnt about to have it!

Comment

Working...
            X