Shooting on 5/24

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shooting on 5/24

Last Saturday(early Sunday), around 2-2:30am there was about 8-10 shots fired in Chelsea Projects. At first I thought they were firecrackers but after all the screaming and cops showing up afterwards, I knew it was a shooting. Anyone hear anything or know anything??

Re: Shooting on 5/24

I live over on 24th btwn 9th & 10th, & had just gotten in from the airport and thought I heard what may have been gunshots. I looked on here yesterday to see if anything was posted, and there was nothing on the news so I was hoping maybe it was nothing.

Comment

Anybody know what it takes to shut down a housing project? Enough already.
      www.shardsofglass.etsy.com, www.shardsofglassmosaics.blogspot.com

Comment

So it would be better to have thousands of families out on the street instead? There are a lot of decent people in the projects, and they don't like living with violence and intimidation any more than you or I do. And they don't have an out.

I'd rather see more steps taken to make the projects safer--which would help those living there now and help stop the cycle of violence for the next generation. Better security, et al.

Comment

Originally posted by alexismckinnon View Post
          So it would be better to have thousands of families out on the street instead? There are a lot of decent people in the projects, and they don't like living with violence and intimidation any more than you or I do. And they don't have an out.

I'd rather see more steps taken to make the projects safer--which would help those living there now and help stop the cycle of violence for the next generation. Better security, et al.

Well said! I totally agree, Alexis!

Comment

Originally posted by alexismckinnon View Post

Any ideas? I say they should do a sweep of each apartment to root out the drugs and guns, then do an investigation to find all the welfare/food stamp cheats and get rid of them too. I don't have a problem with people who are elderly or disabled needing help, but it's these miscreant troublemakers that are living generation after generation off my dime, and refusing to work. I see them in Gristedes with their little white BENEFITS card, trying to sneak it to the cashier because they know they're fit to work, but don't want to.

How many working class people are in gangs? Not too many. We've made it too easy for people to entrench themselves in these projects and not have to work for the rest of their lives.

I'd start with an in depth welfare investigation and take it from there.

You know the saying: Give a man a fish, he eats for a night. Teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime. (or something like that)

People need to earn their living, not sit back and wait for it.

Comment

Something happened to these people in their lifetimes where they ended up in these "projects" - with riverside views I might add.
              However, I'm all for the idea of a severe investigation, often!

Comment

Thank you phtp2!

For you, Chris...you seem to have a lot of misconceptions about the projects. Let's see if we can clear them up.

First off: People living in the projects PAY RENT. They don't live there for free. No, they're not paying $2000, but they are paying what is probably comparable to rent-controlled prices or a little lower.

Second: "Project resident" does not equal "welfare recipient" or "person who refuses to work." Believe it or not, there are plenty of people living in the projects who work very long hours, pay taxes just like you, and simply do not have the income to afford a better place to live. Most are blue-collar. Ever wait for the M11 on 10th and 25th? If you do, you will see people coming out of the projects every day in medical scrubs, in housekeepers' uniforms, in security uniforms.

Originally posted by ChrisNYC1213 View Post
                Any ideas? I say they should do a sweep of each apartment to root out the drugs and guns, then do an investigation to find all the welfare/food stamp cheats and get rid of them too.
                So you think that everyone in the projects should have an illegal search of their apartments? If someone in YOUR building showed up with a gun, do you think they should do that to your apartment too? What's that you said: You're an innocent, hardworking person who has done nothing wrong?

The Housing Authority has in fact made many changes over the past few years to try to weed out drug dealers and gang members. They're working on it. They could do better, and they could make the projects safer, but they are in fact trying on some of these issues. There is federal regulation in place that gives those convicted of drug offenses one strike: they are evicted from the projects and they don't get another chance.

I don't have a problem with people who are elderly or disabled needing help, but it's these miscreant troublemakers that are living generation after generation off my dime, and refusing to work. I see them in Gristedes with their little white BENEFITS card, trying to sneak it to the cashier because they know they're fit to work, but don't want to.
                Actually, they're probably trying to hide the benefits card to avoid stares and judgment from people like you, who know nothing about their lives but feel free to denigrate them.

OK, first off: Welfare in NYC has a cap. A lifetime cap, IIRC. These days, people cannot go on welfare and stay there for years. In addition, those who are on welfare are expected to go to "workfare" and are often sent to job training, etc. so they won't be on welfare again.

Second, food stamps are given on the same card used for welfare money. Food stamps are available to working-class families, not just those on welfare and are very necessary for many who cannot afford food. I suppose we could let people starve, but I'm somewhat against that.

Oh, and BTW, unemployment benefits are now issued with the same card. How do I know this? I was out of a job for a little while last year and yep, that's what they gave me.

So, there are plenty of people using those cards who are actually working or legitimately unemployed and are paying taxes into the services they use. For those that aren't: how do you personally know, from standing behind them on a grocery line, what they are capable of doing? They could have AIDS, cancer, tuberculosis (and, um, people with TB are not ALLOWED to work even if they want to do so), mental illness, an invisible handicap such as arthritis or any other number of diseases or conditions, and so on.

How many working class people are in gangs? Not too many. We've made it too easy for people to entrench themselves in these projects and not have to work for the rest of their lives.
                How many working class people are in gangs? Ask the Mafia, Italian or Russian, take your pick. Ask the Westies. But because that's gang crime committed by white people in nice suits, I guess it's different, right?

It really, really bothers me when people make snap judgments about those who are less fortunate than they are. It's wonderful that you and I have been blessed with a good education, good jobs, and the finances to live in a better place than the projects. Not everyone is so lucky. They don't deserve to be condemned.

And you know, everyone keeps crying about how Chelsea is changing and gentrifying. Guess what: in a diverse, eclectic city, there will be poor people there. There will be projects. You can't have it both ways. Either you make them go away and you live in a sterile city with Duane Reades on every corner and lots of rich, uninteresting snots, or you have a little compassion and understanding for others, and realize that you need all sorts of people--including the poor and low-income ones--to make a city work.

Comment

Here we go again. I refuse to sit here and get dragged through the mud on this issue.

PLEASE RE-READ THE HEADLINE: Shooting on 5/24 (not the first, by the way, just ask anyone)

Is that not the point of this thread?

I never said "Project resident equals welfare recipient or person who refuses to work." In your rage, you have come up with that on your own, Alexis.

Also, I said we should get rid of the problems like cheaters and thugs with guns. I didn't say we should have raids like big guns and dogs like I'm sure you are so used to seeing on the telly. I'm sure there are means of investigating people without kicking down their doors. It's perfectly fine to collect benefits, foodstamps and disability - LEGALLY.

You and I are paying for these benefits right now, so it is in our best interest that they are doled out properly. I'm sure you would be pissed if I took a 50 out of your wallet to buy myself a few downloads on iTunes.

How many gang shootings have claimed innocent children and adults? Do you want to be the next victim of their stupid "thug lifestyle?"

I'll say it one more time, with feeling. I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH THE POOR, THE DISABLED, THE DOWNTRODDEN. AS LONG AS THEY DON'T CARRY WEAPONS.

I want to die in Chelsea - when I'm old, not because some little bastard decided, "Hmm, I don't like the way he looked at me, so I'm going to get my gun."

I hope this clarifies the issue. Gun violence does not a safe neighborhood make. I really wish this would make the news, because all the developers trying to rezone this neighborhood into the new TriBeCA would piss their pants and push the lawmakers into doing something about it.

Have a lovely and safe day, everyone. And watch out for that corner on 23rd and 9th with the badly timed streetlight.

Comment

Well, Chris, this was in your post:

it's these miscreant troublemakers that are living generation after generation off my dime, and refusing to work. I see them in Gristedes with their little white BENEFITS card, trying to sneak it to the cashier because they know they're fit to work, but don't want to.

There really wasn't anything about crime there, and it came up after you said you wanted to completely shut down the project--so yes, that is what I took it as. You were making a judgment about the people living in the projects and seemed to assume that everyone using a benefits card was a "miscreant troublemaker," from what I read.

Of course, nobody wants to be the victim of a thug. I don't, and you don't. That is why making the projects safer, making more stringent gun control laws, improving the NYPD and improving education and services so people are not as tempted to decide to go the crime route are so important. It doesn't require closing down projects or condemning those who live there.

Comment

Most litter 9th Avenue with their presence, and often spill out onto 8th!

Comment

Hmm, interesting conversation! I think you both make good points Chris & Alexis. But I wanted to say to Alexis, if you read Chris' opening statement in the passage you quoted where he said "it's these miscreant troublemakers" and interpret that as the subject of his sentence, then that would mean he's referring to THOSE people throughout. And if you interpret "miscreant troublemakers" as criminals then I think it's probably fair to say he directed most of his comments to the criminal element that may live in the projects.

I agree with you though Alexis on the food stamps issue. I get annoyed myself when I see apparently able-bodied people using them, but you make a good point when you suggest there are many "diseases" that aren't apparent on the surface.

Comment

Vidis! Are you calling *people* trash?

Comment

Originally posted by charlesB View Post
                            I agree with you though Alexis on the food stamps issue. I get annoyed myself when I see apparently able-bodied people using them, but you make a good point when you suggest there are many "diseases" that aren't apparent on the surface.
                            Yep. And I think that it's also important to realize that food stamps are not the same thing as welfare, even though they're distributed on the same card. A lot of working class families use them, and it's going to increase. There have been a lot of stories in the news lately about the fact that with the poor job market, high gas prices and increasing food costs, even middle class families are being forced to turn to food stamps or pantries, because they have no other way to survive. Everyone deserves to be able to eat.

Comment

We were never on food stamps but were eligible for years but never applied. We never were on welfare, During this time in our lives either my husband was unemployed while I worked or we both had low wage jobs. Times are a little better now but we have made due with medicaid health insurance and we do not fit the typical image you would expect but I will say I grew up in the projects when they were safe in a different era

Comment

Working...
                              X