Grace Cleaner Closed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grace Cleaner Closed

Grace Cleaner at 239 9th Avenue has closed. :-( The owner said it had something to do with the landlord but she was not specific.

Re: Grace Cleaner Closed

Is that the one between 30th & 31st AEG?

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
      Is that the one between 30th & 31st AEG?
      No, near 25th St. And I am moderately concerned as I still have clothes there.

Comment

They have disconnected their phone and I still don't have my clothes. I just called 311 and filed a complaint. I really hated to do this -- they have always been so nice. But they gave me less than 24 hours notice (Friday Night) that they were closing and I wasn't able to be there to pickup my clothes Saturday morning. And they weren't able to stay open late Friday night so I could come by after work.

In other threads we have discussed mom and pops vs chain stores. This particular incident does not increase my sympathies to the mom and pops. Don't read this as I have anything against mom and pops -- it's just that it furthers my belief of a zero-sum game in this matter -- you are just as likely to get screwed by a mom and pop as a big business.

Comment

i walked by and there isn't even a note in the window. you'd think there would be some sort of arrangement for remaining customers. sorry to hear this, hope you get your clothes back.

Comment

I just called the Department of Consumer Affairs to update my file. (I wanted to add the license number of Grace Cleaners that's on the ticket.) The 311 operator said DCA had closed my case. Since the cleaner is out of business they are no longer licensed by the DCA and therefore it's not DCA's problem.

So, I am back at square one.

Comment

So, I found the management company (www.aimco.com) and wrote them.

I also wrote CB4...not knowing if they have any pull in this type of matter.

If anyone else has any ideas, please chime in.

Comment

Progress (maybe?)

I remember she had a 2nd cleaner on the east side. I googled for it and found
                Grace Cleaners
                137 E 27th St
                New York, NY 10016
                (212) 686-3955
                I called and they said they were related to the 9th Avenue store. The attendant took my phone number and said when "the lady" comes in she will call me.

I post the number above in case anyone else reading this is in a similar situation. When I looked in the window today, I saw lots of clothes that did _not_ belong to me.

Comment

Yikes! I can't believe you can't get your clothes AEG. That's terrible. I actually saw a story on the news awhile back, a story of this same thing at another dry cleaners. Finally, someone from the city came and opened the doors and they let the public come in and it was kind of a free for all where everyone was rushing around trying to find their clothes.

But you gotta love the run around you get from the city, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
                    Yikes! I can't believe you can't get your clothes AEG.
                    You just know I will have to recuse myself from future mom/pop vs. large biz threads in the future. IMHO, a bad biz is a bad biz and size is just one attribute.

Comment

I know! You really put your foot into it this time AEG!! I agree though. Small and large businesses both have their advantages and disadvantages. The thing I like about mom & pop retailers, like delis, is their character and their sometimes off-beat inventory. But on the other hand they're often times dirty and not well-kept. And they're not always consistent in their inventory. They're stocked with whatever the route wholesaler happens to bring to them. But on the other hand you can request things from them that they'll get for you, and that's not something you can usually do with a larger business.

Comment

Finding a decent laundry in Chelsea that doesn't overcharge to launder a shirt has become a challenge. The guy who took over Cliff's on 9th Ave. between 24th and 25th charged me $5.00 to launder one shirt. The shirt had been laundered (by him) numerous times in the past, but because it did not have a collar, he could not put it on that crappy machine they use and dry cleaned it instead hence the $5 charge.

Also I had an overcoat relined there. He charged $90 to do it and did a lousy job and when I complained and made him redo it he was really pissed. I told him flat out that if he couldn't do it right that he shouldn't do it at all and simply make a referral to a place that can do decent tailoring.

Needless to say, I have stopped going there but am having a problem finding somewhere to have cleaning done. I tried Grace, they were ok, but they never had my laundry ready when they said they would have it. Fortunately I had taken my laundry to the joint in London Terrace last week, or I would be complaining about them big time.
                        Last edited by EchoSri; 01-30-2008, 04:01 PM. Reason: additonal informatio

Comment

Originally posted by EchoSri View Post
                          the joint in London Terrace last week
                          I remember at one time that place was owned by Cliff also. Is he no longer there?

Comment

No, Cliff is no longer there. The place changed hands or owners about 3 years ago. I hope you are able to get your things back AEG, without too much difficulty.

Comment

Anyone else need their clothes back?

The dry cleaner will be opened by the landlord today and tomorrow:

Thursday 1-2pm
                              Friday 11-12am

After that, the landlord says the clothes go into storage.

Comment

Working...
                              X