FAIRWAY COMING TO TOWN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAIRWAY COMING TO TOWN

Fairway Market will be opening a store in one of the new high-rises on Sixth Avenue between 25th and 26th Streets in the near future. Looks like the east side of the neighborhood will have competition among Fairway, Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods. Too bad we can’t get some of the same over here.

Re: FAIRWAY COMING TO TOWN

I wonder whether all the competition will send a message to Gristede's to lower their prices which are always way higher than any of the other local stores.

Comment

I'm not interested in a Fairway over here. I'd rather have an affordable supermarket, and Fairway isn't that.

Comment

Fairway has a great price range...and good produce. Plus its closer than Trader Joe's. But for the basics the NSA on 9th does the trick.
        But Gristede's... yeah they are big price fixers.
        I'm fascinated when I go in there, maybe once a year, that all the items of a kind are basically overpriced, at the same price. Toothpaste for example is practically $7. Are they on something?

Comment

No, he's raising money for his mayoral campaign.

Comment

I'm not interested in a Fairway over here. I'd rather have an affordable supermarket, and Fairway isn't that.

Actually, by Manhattan standards, Fairway is quite reasonable. Their quality and service are excellent, too. Other markets could learn how to operate by observing Fairway.

Comment

[/I]Actually, by Manhattan standards, Fairway is quite reasonable. Their quality and service are excellent, too. Other markets could learn how to operate by observing Fairway.[/QUOTE]

Then we have a different idea of what is reasonable. Whenever I go into a Fairway (usually when I'm waiting for a concert up at the Beacon Theater and looking to kill time), I browse around, hoping I'll find something. But I never Ever buy anything. Out of my ability to pay.

Comment

Kafkaesque: I'd like to know where you shop that would cause you to consider Fairway expensive? I'm assuming it is not Gristede's...

Comment

Originally posted by catalyst View Post
                  Kafkaesque: I'd like to know where you shop that would cause you to consider Fairway expensive? I'm assuming it is not Gristede's...
                  I only buy what's on sale (except in Gristede's, because not even sale prices are generally good deals there.) That means I have to invest time in getting my stuff, but I am unemployed so I have no choice to do that to stretch my dollars. I check out NSA, Associated (on 14th), Western Beef (occasionally). Morton Williams (not so much)...even Met (over on 16th & 3rd.) If I know I'm going to be in a particular part of the city, I always look online for the supermarkets in the neighborhood and always stop at them and pick up what I need if it's a good price. I will walk to Stiles Farmer's Market for fruit and vegetables (at 41st & 9th, and when there, I stopped at the Red Apple when it was open, or I stop at Stiles on 52nd between 8th & 9th if I happen to be around there.)

When I was working and had a car, I'd go to Pathmark downtown or in Queens, but most of the time, I'd drive to NJ and go to Pathmark, Shoprite, Walmart, Sam's Club, BJ's. But that was then.

Comment

Kafkaesque: Thanks for that exhaustive list! I'll usually check out the sales at NSA as well. Their dairy and produce prices can't really be beat. I like Western Beef, too, but its a bit too cramped. I'll have to check out Met Foods and Associated. I know they are pretty close, but I never think to go there. Trader Joe's has pretty good prices, too, and the quality is usually quite good.

Comment

Originally posted by catalyst View Post
                      Kafkaesque: Thanks for that exhaustive list! I'll usually check out the sales at NSA as well. Their dairy and produce prices can't really be beat. I like Western Beef, too, but its a bit too cramped. I'll have to check out Met Foods and Associated. I know they are pretty close, but I never think to go there. Trader Joe's has pretty good prices, too, and the quality is usually quite good.
                      Trader Joe's is probably my favorite place to shop. Years before they were in Manhattan, I'd go out of my way to stop at TJ's whenever I was up in Westchester or travelling. I buy a lot of the same stuff over and over. I almost never go into Whole Foods.

Tomorrow I'll be on the upper east side, they've got a Key Food and a C-town nearby. Key usually has something on sale that I can use.

It takes a lot of time to do what I do, but I really don't have a choice now (and I probably never will be able to do it any other way ever again.)

Comment

My 2¢: happy about the Fairway. Maybe it'll make Trader Joe's which is now getting very crowded most of the time, less crowded.
                        NSA is catch as catch can. I don't know about their produce (really? – I find Western beef much cheaper). I bought rice there a couple months ago, a particular kind, and it was $3.76 less at Western beef. (I feel they owe me money!)
                        But Western Beef: I'm assuming there are pesticides all over everything (I have vegetable rinse, but…), as I hungrily look over all their greens.
                        (Stiles – same? any ideas about that? Thanks)
                        -Kam

Comment

Originally posted by SNAP View Post
                          No, he's raising money for his mayoral campaign.
                          Catsimitidis is a billionaire. He's probably writing a lil ole check...
                          But he's a billionaire because they charge so much for the most random of things. It's like...even the guys who makes No. 2 pencils is probably rich.

Comment

i would have mentioned the fairway if i could log in well i am back now- it was weird i could read posts but not log in and say my mind- yes i knew fairway is opening in the summer in gracious home spot. can not wait. they arent so cheap but seems the quality of their stuff is very good and they are in the same union as gristedes employees- i have ben to the kips bay store but it is a long walk- this fairway will be competition mostly with whole foods i think.i shop in a variety of stores in the neighborhood. trader joes, wholefoods mostly but occasionly go to associated 14th st and wesern beef as well dependingwhat is on sale. associated her fage greek yogurt for a buck but chobani was on sale in wholefoods forthe same price.sometimes jacks 99 cents store has things like this as well but you need to check expiration dates. gotsome greek yogurt 2 for a buck at jacks recently- the turkey hill icetea is cheaper at gristedes then NSA andthe drumstick icecream is same price on sale at NSA and gristedes- so do the math- nice to be back

Comment

Working...
                            X