PENN SOUTH HOME INVASION

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PENN SOUTH HOME INVASION

http://pix11.com/2013/02/17/violent-home-invasion-raises-questions-of-door-safety-at-big-apt-buildings/#axzz2LFwV7Oct

Police hunting home invasion suspect in Chelsea pix11.com

Police have released surveillance video of a man who they say attacked and robbed a 61-year-old man in Chelsea.

The incident happened Friday at 4:30 am at one of the Penn South Co-op buildings on West 28th Street near 8th Avenue.

Police say the suspect followed the man into an elevator, then forced his way inside his apartment, where he punched him in the face, and stole cash from him.

The victim was left bruised with swelling to his eye.

The suspect is described as a black male who was last seen wearing a dark hooded jacket, red hat, blue pants and dark boots.

Anyone with information is asked to call the NYPD’s Crime Stoppers Hotline at 1-800-577-TIPS. All calls are kept confidential.

Re: PENN SOUTH HOME INVASION

There's a big problem with those doors that stay open long enough for intruders to come up behind a person. There has to be some way to make those doors safer or we're all at risk because that's how this assault happened. The resident was followed in because the door didn't close fast enough to keep the intruder from getting in.

Comment

Anyone in the neighborhood might know we can't control the doors. Now, everyone who watches the news knows it. Seems like an open invitation to robbers.

Comment

I was amazed when I watched that video from WPIX that anyone would broadcast the information about the doors. That didn't stay in the neighborhood, it made it all over the metropolitan area.

As I've said before, the first step toward real safety is to have a capable and competent doorman in each building as well as the cameras and a robust Security Force. Cameras seldom deter criminals (note how many bank robberies there are and every bank has more cameras than customers) and are really best used as forensic tools after the event.

Comment

Doormen would be nice -- but verrrrrry expensive.Don't forget it would have to require at least three shifts per bldg. That's a whole lotta staff and a whole lotta money! As for our security staff -- that's a laff and a half because I don't think there's more than three guys at night when we really could use security. And, of those, they don't carry weapons so they're technically pretty useless. A decent door that closes as soon as you enter would be a much better and much cheaper solution. Maybe not the best solution but crime happens even in bldgs. with good security. Maybe we need better ways of dealing with crime. Outside of the U.S. there are countries that live better and have less crime. What's wrong with us???? Why is the crime rate so high now compared to the way it was in the 1940s and 1950s when I could walk out at any hour and not worry about being attacked. When guns in schools weren't even thought about. When there was decency and morality? Sorry for being long-winded but life seems to have gotten so out of control and I'm afraid doormen aren't the answer to our social problems.

Comment

This is the third incident that has occurred in building 8 in the last couple of months-management is silent. There is a notice in building 9 stating that the report of a robbery in that building isn't true, yet they fail to mention that it did take place in another building. Security is a joke here, there is no security. No point to having those worthless doors. Management is not concerned with safety and sweeps everything under the rug. It is time for people to get together and demand safety. How many other crimes have been committed in these buildings? We have a right to know!

Comment

Reading this board helps keep in touch with events around the Co-Op. Glad it is here.

Comment

Heard about the robberies...
                Lighting is one of the best deterrents. The areas where the walkways that lead to the doors are incredibly dark. If you look up 8th Ave the Penn South side of the street is almost pitch dark. Too dark.
                Spotlights above the doors that point to end of walkways would likely make a difference. Even yellow bug light level would do the trick, just enough light but not enough to shine in people's windows.

Comment

I believe the doors were set up in that manner to allow easy access to the aged or those on power scooters/wheelchairs etc. Perhaps some large signs on the grounds and a big sign in the vestibule letting everyone know they are on camera and have been for several minutes might at least deter some criminals. A fit security team would also help and there definitely need to be more on site at night.

Comment

Working...
                  X