Moran's - Corner of 10th Ave and 19th Street

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moran's - Corner of 10th Ave and 19th Street

Does anyone know if Moran's (I believe it's a steak house) have a fireplace inside? I'm asking because I just moved into the apartment building on the corner of 20th St. and 10th Ave. and have come home to an apartment full of smoke from a chimney in the building on the corner. I can't imagine the apartments would have working fireplaces that burn fires all day...but I can see the restaurant having one.

Is this something I can complain to the city about? I pay a lot of rent to be forced to close my windows day and night because the risk of an apartment full of smoke. I want to inquire why they can't have a gas or electric fire considering there are apartment buildings all around them.

Any info. would be very helpful.

THanks

Re: Moran's - Corner of 10th Ave and 19th Street

Oh dear, sorry to hear about that -- yes, unfortunately they do. In fact they have at least 2 fireplaces, which you can see in photos at their site,
    http://www.moranschelsea.com/ Good luck.

Comment

Oh ok..I see it now...I went to the roof of my building and can see the chimney in the restaurants building just pumping out smoke that is blowing around my building and into my apartment.

I called the city and filed a complaint with the air quality people...we'll see what comes of it. My nose and throat are burning from the smoke and with them being a restaurant I would assume they plan to burn wood practically everyday all winter long.... so we'll see what I can get done.

Comment

JohnD212 - I would suggest that you also contact Christine Quinn's office.

http://council.nyc.gov/d3/html/members/home.shtml

Comment

Originally posted by catalyst View Post
          JohnD212 - I would suggest that you also contact Christine Quinn's office.

http://council.nyc.gov/d3/html/members/home.shtml
          Thanks...I sent them a message describing my situation. I guess it is always good to draw attention to a situation. I'm sure when this area was all warehouses and gas stations no one thought twice about a restaurant with TWO wood burning fireplaces pumping out soot and smoke but now its all "Luxury" apartment buildings. Even now...at 12:30 at night I open the window and within 5 minutes the smell of smoke begins to make my throat and eyes burn.

UGH...city life can be so hard sometimes.

Comment

(212) 564-7757

John- I would also call Quinn's office. Sometimes talking to someone gets quicker action! I'm also wondering if you have grounds to break your lease. Ask a lawyer maybe? I really sympathize with your situation- I have all kinds of allergies and would never be able to live with all that smoke. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by phtp2 View Post
              (212) 564-7757

John- I would also call Quinn's office. Sometimes talking to someone gets quicker action! I'm also wondering if you have grounds to break your lease. Ask a lawyer maybe? I really sympathize with your situation- I have all kinds of allergies and would never be able to live with all that smoke. Good luck!
              I'll definitely take note of her phone number and use it if things don't improve. I don't smell the smoke as much if the windows are closed but sadly the heat has started to come on and it gets really warm in my apartment if I'm not able to open the windows a crack. I'm also going to keep on top of the city and the 311 complaint I placed and see what they do with it. I haven't contacted my building yet but that is also an option and see if they know anything.

I've learned that you'd be surprised how often people complain about things and often my complaint isn't the first they've heard of it...

Comment

Also be aware that many, in not, most of the townhouse/brownstones around you have woodburning fireplaces. So be prepared for the scent from them in the air this winter

Comment

Originally posted by JimR View Post
                  Also be aware that many, in not, most of the townhouse/brownstones around you have woodburning fireplaces. So be prepared for the scent from them in the air this winter
                  I find it so unusual that in a city this big and with the risk of fire so great...they haven't closed off most of those fireplaces. I've had two apartments with fireplaces and both were completely sealed off. I don't completely hate the smell of wood burning...but this particular chimney pumps smoke all day and until about 11pm at night. I have noticed that when the wind blows from the north I'm saved....so I'm taking a wait and see what happens.

My opinion is that even though the burning fireplaces are a wonderfully charming thing...they have absolutely no place in a city the size of Manhattan. There was a time when people actually used them to stay warm...these days they don't and as they continue to build more and more "luxury" high rises up and around these brownstones...the smoke is going to grow in its annoyance.

Comment

I used to live in that building. Wait till Morans has a big party in their back area, the one with the glass roof. You're in for a treat - your walls will vibrate and they have a very tepid response to complaints. By code, the fire place chimneys have to clear the roofs of adjacent buildings - the new building is responsible for extending the chimneys because of the fire hazard, if you ever look, you'll see this all over town - 10 story chimneys where new high rises come up next to lower buildings. The management company for the building seemed a little cheapy given the thin construction of the building, so they may have skipped this process and not gotten called on it by the city, they have not met soundproofing portions of the code in that building (hard to enforce), and I am sure they scrimped on other things as well. Call the NYC DOB about the chimneys and the fire department if you ever have visible smoke in your apartment, even if you have your windows open. Just the smell of smoke may be hard to get taken care of...

Comment

Well I placed a complaint about air quality with 311. I also wrote an email to Quinn's office and received a very nice reply from a young guy...he sent me an email too and requested that I send him my complaint # from my 311 call...which I have. We'll see what comes of it. I know its an uphill battle...but so far it hasn't taken anything more than a few calls or emails.

I feel like that cranky old man yelling at the kids to get off his lawn...lol.

Comment

Working...
                      X