Meatpacking District Remainders

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meatpacking District Remainders

With the closing of Western Beef pretty much all of the old-line cattle dispatcheries have left the neighborhood which bears that industry's name. Restaurant-wise, you've got Old Homestead, which has been around for almost 150 years. It's serviceable, in the same way that Peter Luger's is serviceable, i.e. the meat isn't as good as you would expect and the waiters can be a little gruff. Plus, they offer a Kobe beef hot dog, which is disgusting on both aesthetic and economic levels. There's also Frank's, which has been around since 1912, but they've recently moved a few blocks west, which feels like a cheat.

And that's pretty much it; a few scattered bodegas, a coffee shop, that gas station. Even the place that pretended to be a candy store but really sold pot is long since gone.

In short? If a visitor from 1979 were magically transported to today's MPD, it would take him an hour or two of wandering around before, tripping on a random cobblestone, he'd suddenly realize where he was and shout, "You maniacs! You blew it up! Ah, damn you! God...damn you all to hell!"

Re: Meatpacking District Remainders

Gone are the days..'Aint that nuthun'!

Comment

Re: Meatpacking District Remainders

Okay. Are you friggin' kiddin' me?! Now, Western Beef is closing!!!!!???? Jeez. Is it ever going to end????

What is happening here? I'm getting REALLY miffed about the "New Chelsea," and what that is going to and now means. I mean, every place I know or knew from days gone by is disappearing into thin air. I'm so sure, that the R.E. muckity-mucks are responsible for the pervasive and radical change to what is barely our nabe as we once knew it. I just wish that those so-called "Developers," and their disciples would vanish into thin air, and leave Chelsea and it's surrounding areas alone. We were here first. I don't consider what they're doing developing. I consider it a complete intrusion. It makes me for one, sick!

Comment

Working...
      X