highline park

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• highline park

This afternoon I went up to the new highline park with a bunch of family members . It is well worth going up there. It's just beautiful with plantings and oh so clean. The only problem was that there was a lineto get in but it moved fast as they issued wrist bands to control the crowds. Once you go up there you will see it is worth the wait. You have a wonderful view. You can see chelsea piers and chelsea market buildings from there. Seating is interesting and the way it is paved around the old railroad tracks is just fascinating and clever. Hope it doesnt become a tourist only destination so that us locals can enjoy it. Great for the lunch crowd to just sit and have a bite to eat. You would have to supply your own sandwich though. There was a cart with drinks there- probably expensive and free water fountains were being used by my little cousins.

Re: highline park

It's pretty incredible! You get the simultaneous feeling of old and new New York City. There's plenty of seating, including an amphitheatre over 10th Avenue. There are even restrooms! Right now, the only entrance is at Gansevoort and Washington Streets. However, there are several exits, with the northernmost at 20th Street.

http://www.thehighline.org/

Comment

Where did you see restrooms? I was wondering about that

Comment

It IS beautiful. There was a long line when we got there, but it moved very quickly and hopefully crowds will dissipate in a few weeks once the newness has worn off.

I hope they can get the next phase built (20th to 30th). Is it already funded? Does anyone know? I know this was paid for by private donations.

It is quite narrow in some sections which can create a bottleneck. Those raised grooves can also cause tripping. You just have to watch where you're going. But who can look down when looking out is so much fun? The vistas are really pretty.

There were several people walking in the plantings. They didn't seem to understand they weren't supposed to be in there, despite the signs to the contrary. While I was talking to one of the volunteers, she had to step away occasionally to shoo people off. I saw one guy letting his 3 year-old play in one of the planting areas. Are people really so dense?

I also saw some guy smoking up there. There are no ashtrays, of course. I wonder what he did with his butt?

Did you see all the butterflies and bees in the flowers? It was wonderful!

There was a restroom, but I can't remember where it was. There is a little cart with muffins/coffee, etc. We didn't partake. Actually, I was a bit surprised that people were eating up there. Some of the benches had food residue on them. Some people just can't clean up after themselves. Who's maintaining this park? The City?

Isn't it amazing that in the past few years we've got the Hudson River Park AND the High Line? It's an embarrassment of riches!

Comment

I also saw the food cart but did not check out the prices

Comment

Where did you see restrooms?

In the Caledonia Building, between 17th and 18th Streets. They are set back a little bit from the path. If you reach the seating area that looks out over 10th Avenue then you have passed them.

Comment

Originally posted by catalyst View Post
              Where did you see restrooms?

In the Caledonia Building, between 17th and 18th Streets. They are set back a little bit from the path. If you reach the seating area that looks out over 10th Avenue then you have passed them.

Bathrooms and elevator

Comment

thanks for the great pictures

Comment

This looks incredible. I can't wait to go! I tried on Friday, but was too tired to walk all the way down to the entrance. And it was incredibly crowded from what I could see. This reminds me of the Gates exhibit in Central Park. That initial wow factor is clearly there. But this should last a lot longer.
                  www.shardsofglass.etsy.com, www.shardsofglassmosaics.blogspot.com

Comment

The High Line is wonderful! You can see more photos if you go to Flickr.com and search for The High Line.

Comment

while i am glad a historical landmark such as the highline has been restored and appreciated as a piece of importance, as a resident of the west 20s between 9th and 10th, the tourist traffic has significantly altered our daily lives. there are hoards of people walking up and down our block - strangers sitting eating their disgusting food on my stoop. i have had to completely re route my dog walking and we can no longer keep our windows open due to the excessive noise. people are selling their art on our corner as though we are on spring and west broadway. i chose this westward neighborhood for the peace and the quality of residents, not for a tourist flytrap for people to throw their trash on my beautiful street. the highline itself is not what offends me, it is the way tourists forget that people actually live in these areas they destroy.

Comment

Does anyone know which street the elevator is at?

Comment

18th

Comment

Originally posted by Jessie20 View Post
                            while i am glad a historical landmark such as the highline has been restored and appreciated as a piece of importance, as a resident of the west 20s between 9th and 10th, the tourist traffic has significantly altered our daily lives. there are hoards of people walking up and down our block - strangers sitting eating their disgusting food on my stoop. i have had to completely re route my dog walking and we can no longer keep our windows open due to the excessive noise. people are selling their art on our corner as though we are on spring and west broadway. i chose this westward neighborhood for the peace and the quality of residents, not for a tourist flytrap for people to throw their trash on my beautiful street. the highline itself is not what offends me, it is the way tourists forget that people actually live in these areas they destroy.
                            In the sixties I vaguely remember a commercial about littering where an American Indian looked out at how land was being disrespected by callous unfeeling litterers. A single tear went down his stately face. I wish they would reissue a similiar campaign. Too many people disrespect the streets, the trains, and especially the parks by tossing their refuse whereever it happens to land. I have seen people throw debris in the street when a trash can is inches away. Why? What is the problem with being a little considerate of others? Sometimes if it's not too disgusting and I have a bag or something I just pick it up and throw it away for the selfish losers. To say something to them is to put your life at risk. Oh well, enough of my kvetching.

Comment

One time (a long time ago) I was in Spain riding a bus. I was eating some kind of ice cream and when I finished there was some paper left over. I looked around like "where should I throw this?" and the people on the bus realized that being an American I probably wouldn't know the right thing. So a man motioned to me that I should just throw it out the window!

I looked at him like "WHAT!? No way!" As the bus moved on, he pointed out a guy on the street with a broom and said "it creates jobs for them!" Then all the people on the bus nodded their head - practically demanding that I throw it out the window - which I did. Peer pressure and all!

So all I can suggest Anderson is that perhaps people do this because they view it as a "shovel-ready" jobs program!

Comment

Working...
                              X