Dunkin Donuts - West 31st Street

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dunkin Donuts - West 31st Street

OK Kids -- new Duncan Donuts on the corner of 31st and 9th Avenue. Now, as much I as enjoy being the pro-business right wingnut on this board, even I am non-plussed by this.

I will file this under: Legal-but-oh-so-not-needed.

Re: West 31st Street

I agree with you AEG. I don't usually complain about new businesses either - but this is so un-needed. What we need is a grocery store. It's great to live on a block where a Dunkin Donuts is our primary food store! Every other thing has closed in that location... I have a feeling this one will make it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
      I agree with you AEG. I don't usually complain about new businesses either - but this is so un-needed. What we need is a grocery store. It's great to live on a block where a Dunkin Donuts is our primary food store! Every other thing has closed in that location... I have a feeling this one will make it.
      *nods* They'll probably capitalize on the folks who work all night at the Postal facilities and might really need a 4am donut and java. I actually like Dunkin Donuts' donuts (not as much as Krispy Kreme, but anyway), but they're really oversaturating the neighborhood. It's almost as bad as Duane Reade.

I agree, when is someone going to open a good grocery store in the neighborhood? It's awful. I miss D'Agostino.

Comment

What building is it in? The only one I know of is in the 360 w 32 st building where I worked for years. I bet the people in that building will support it because they do have good coffee for a lot less than Starbucks. It would be nice to have a grocery store or supermarket in that neighborhood. I worked there for years and never noticed one. Where do you guys shop now?
        roby2000

Comment

Originally posted by roby2000 View Post
          Where do you guys shop now?
          I am 99 44/100% fresh direct. I have neither a car nor an a.ss with a saddle to carry my groceries home. And I refuse to use a granny cart. And I don't want to make multiple trips. And I hate shopping in grocery stores. And I hate the surly check out people.

Originally posted by roby2000 View Post
          The only one I know of is in the 360 w 32 st building where I worked for years.
          This is on West 31st Street -- near where the Grainger's is.

Comment

Originally posted by alexismckinnon View Post
            *nods* They'll probably capitalize on the folks who work all night at the Postal facilities and might really need a 4am donut and java.
            Exactly what I was trying to say Alexis!

Originally posted by AEG View Post
            I am 99 44/100% fresh direct. I have neither a car nor an a.ss with a saddle to carry my groceries home. And I refuse to use a granny cart. And I don't want to make multiple trips. And I hate shopping in grocery stores. And I hate the surly check out people.
            Delivery people AEG! Gristedes doesn't even charge a fee... just leave the guy a tip and you're done.

I used to use a granny cart. But now that I'm getting about as old as a granny I don't anymore. The image it puts out is getting a little too close to the truth!

On surly check out people I actually find that there are a handful of very friendly checkout people at Gristedes (26th & 8th). Several of them actually say "thank you". And one or two will even smile every so often. I almost feel like I'm back down south sometimes. Almost. I think we've written about them here - about a year ago.

I used to use Fresh Direct all the time, but if they were out of just one or two things I ended up having to go to the store anyway... so eventually I fell out of the FD habit.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
              Delivery people AEG!
              I know, I know. But with me, it's a couple of mouse clicks and I am done. And FD has now lowered their minimum order from $50 to $30 so it's even more convenient. As you may be able to tell, I am a real FD devotee.

Comment

Re: Dunkin Donuts - West 31st Street

I'm also a Fresh Direct devotee, and I usually get my fruits and veggies from the lovely fruit stand outside Dallas BBQ on 23rd and 8th. All the same, it'd be nice to have a grocery store. I used to augment my FD service with D'Ags. Now, there aren't many options. I've had one too many bad experiences with Gristedes. I won't use the one on 24th and 9th at all and will only go to the one on 26th if it's an absolute emergency. I wish we had Trader Joe's a little closer to us.

Comment

Fried dough too close and too many! I do love the honey dipped d-nuts though. That said, I am now surrounded by D'D-nuts south and north of me! What IS a carboholic to do...I ask you?!

I too love, love and yes...love Fresh Direct. They have a terrific selection of Amy's brand dinners, great meat and rubs and I'll tell you what, their produce has much improved over the years.

I remember chiming in about the whole Gristedes on 9th should be banned from the planet thing (thread) from last year. I still feel that way. Although, I do agree with Jonathon that the Gristedes on 26th (down the block from my apt.), is a pretty good option when FD doesn't have what I need. It's convenient and yes, I've also witness the occasional smile from the checkout clerks (or is it more "PC" to call them Grocery Purchase Technicians? )

Anyway, all in all, we sooooo don't need yet another reason to eat a donut in the nabe. We do need however, one good grocery store option. Trader Joe's would be amazing to have around here. Whole Foods, well...been there, done that.

Comment

I have used FD maybe 5 times and not once was the order correct, complete or without problems. They take zero responsiblitiy for incorrect orders and you can't check the order. Imagine, not being able to check to see if what you are paying for is what you asked for? That is a winning business model. Yeah... I used FD all the time. Uhuh.

Comment

Originally posted by pettiboy View Post
                      you can't check the order. Imagine, not being able to check to see if what you are paying for is what you asked for?
                      I also have had problems but on the whole, and compared with the nabe grocery stores, I very much prefer them.

However, when you say you "can't check the order"...what do you mean by that? They email you a copy of your order. I know they don't always include a paper copy with the groceries even though they _say_ they will do so.

Comment

Originally posted by AEG View Post
                        I also have had problems but on the whole, and compared with the nabe grocery stores, I very much prefer them.

However, when you say you "can't check the order"...what do you mean by that? They email you a copy of your order. I know they don't always include a paper copy with the groceries even though they _say_ they will do so.
                        What I mean is that they will not allow you to check to see that the order is as specified before they leave (not that it would matter that that point anyway). Sure, you get an email copy of what you asked for but they then deliver something else (items you didn't want and missing items you wanted). That is what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by pettiboy View Post
                          ..not allow you to check to see that the order is as specified
                          If you do place another order, check the final screen before you hit submit...they do show the order. At least they used to. I am about to place another order......I am curious to see if something has changed and I didn't realize it....

Comment

I just finished an order. They do an inventory check and then show you all the items you are about to purchase before you hit the final submit button.

Comment

I also am a devotee of FD. Have only had 1 order problem. They forgot something on the truck but were back 20 minutes later with it. The only thing I don't get from them is my fresh fruits and vegetables. I like to see them up close so I too use the stand by Dallas BBQ.

Comment

Working...
                              X