Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• construction at 355-!

Hi,

I realize most people work outside their homes during the day, but thought I'd see if there were any fellow work-at-homes or work-at night people out there on 30th street being driven out of their minds by the 10 hour a day air compressor in the gutter at 355 w. 30th.

We're all for building housing for the "formerly homeless" however, we now cannot work or sleep in our apartment when we need to, and have spent the last few weeks unsuccessfully looking for rentals elsewhere...we all know how easy it is to find decent housing in NYC. The air compressor sounds like a helicopter hovering outside our window, and unlike a jackhammer, it NEVER STOPS. I've read on the housing website that construction's expected to take 18 months.

One day they had it inside, behind the facade of the building they're constructing, and the sound issue was much better. For the last several days it's been out on the street, uncovered, unsheltered, and just obnoxiously, ridiculously loud.

Any ideas of who to contact to get them to move this thing off the street, or cover it, or muffle it somehow? I know 311 does noise complaints, but figured someone on CYB might know of a more direct approach. Don't know if they're outside of their rights, and don't want to stop the progress, however, we need our home, too.

Any ideas?

Re: construction at 355-!

Great post circusgirl! I've been home the last few days and it was driving me crazy! Awhile back it seemed someone posted something here giving details on who they had called about a noisy construction job going on on that same side of the street - on Saturday mornings. They started with 311 - got somebody I think in the Dept. of Buildings or something like that. They gave them a reference number and they posted all that here. Then several of us called and complained - using the same reference number and the noise stopped by the next week.

I'm going by memory on this, but I think I remember a post from Jonathan maybe - who said he called and was told by the person on the other end of the phone that several other people had called. I think getting several calls about the same situation may actually prompt them to take action. So, you might want to try something like that here.

Comment

Thanks for the info, Tarmill! Great idea. If I call 311, and anyone else who is bothered calls, maybe, maybe, maybe something will happen.

I know it can seem like a pain to call 311- I brought this up and even I don't feel like calling. But, better now than on Saturday morning at 8 am!

Comment

You guys, I think I remember that post. I'll dig it out. Might've been me, b/c I was so annoyed with the way they swooped in, demo'd, then did nothing. I am out most days, but it is driving me bats too.
        And i think it def. violates Bloomberg's new insulated worksite rule.
        It's a horrible noise.

Comment

Kathy McPherson

kMcPherson@clintonhousing.org

From their site:
          353-355 West 30th Street
          (2 buildings, 34 apartments)
          The site at West 30th Street currently consists of two deteriorated mid-19th century brownstone buildings. CHDC will combine them, add three stories, and provide a community room and interior courtyard. The buildings will be renovated under one construction contract and undergo a gut rehabilitation and conversion from a 60-unit walkup SRO complex to 32 Class A SRO units. The renovation scope of work will include new mechanical services, new finishes, façade restoration, and public area renovation. A small community room and the courtyard will serve as common space. We hope to close in November of 2005 and begin construction in December 2005. Construction will last approximately 18 months.

Currently the buildings need major structural work. Before CHDC took possession of this site they were the major source of drug traffic on the block. One building was so poorly managed that tenants had only three days of hot water during 1994. CHDC began managing these buildings in the fall of 1994, at the request of New York City's Department of Housing Preservation and Development. CHDC developed plans both for immediate stabilization and for long-term affordable housing development. In 1995, CHDC reduced the number involved in illegal activity from a third of the population to two people by working with the Police Department, the block association, and Manhattan Community Board No. 4. Basic services were restored. During this period CHDC relocated the families to other renovated affordable housing owned by CHDC. By 1996 all drug activity had ceased. This project will be financed through low-income housing tax credits and Macklowe Fund dollars.

Comment

I called them, the people doing the buildings.
            The drilling noise is almost done. They will be framing it out next.

Comment

Thanks for the scoop Vespa!

Comment

yes, thanks for the scoop! But, excuse my ignorance...what does framing it out mean?

Comment

An explanation of framing

http://www.hometime.com/Howto/projec...ng/frame_1.htm

Comment

This my friend is where they will be bringing in all the steel beams, welding, and making the skeleton.
                    I was told that by next summer they will be doing the finishing work, i.e. painting inside walls....
                    We have quite a road ahead.

Comment

Working...
                    X