W. 30th between 8th & 9th Ave.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W. 30th between 8th & 9th Ave.

Does anyone know what the latest is on the scaffolding on the apartment building at 30th between 8th and 9th. I am getting ready to move in on this block and it looks like the scaffolding has been up for a while, but the work is not close to finished. Also, There is a sign at the top of the building that says its tenents will be people that were formerly "homeless citizens". Does anyone know what the deal is here?

Also, how is the block in general as far as safety, restaurants, activity.
    I saw that there was a cupcake shop which is a good start.

thanks for any help

Re: W. 30th between 8th & 9th Ave.

I used to live at 302 W.30th which is between 8th + 9th Ave. I had to move since the Chelsea hotel took the building over. Other than the constant traffic that comes from the Lincoln Tunnel, it's a perfectly nice block. I've since moved to 23rd and 8th and love it here as well. Good luck on 30th, it's not a bad place to live

Comment

Yeah, that scaffolding's been there awhile with little to no signs of any construction activity until recently. Someone wrote about that building here a few months ago and said they had contacted one of the city agencies about it. Said the agency assured them the tenants would be carefully screened - but who knows? Anyway, I'd say the block is not bad. As far as safety I've always felt fine. Restaurants, not too good. You have to go east towards 7th or south down 8th Ave or 9th Ave into the mid to low 20's to get anything decent.

The Lincoln tunnel traffic surprisingly isn't that bad. I mean it's not usually too noisy. It's just a lot of congestion during certain parts of the day but that won't really effect you - unless you're trying to drive home. It's the late-night noise that's more of a problem. And that comes not from cars but from kids partying all night. If your bedroom window doesn't face the street though you should be okay.

Comment

Originally posted by ELUR00 View Post
        I saw that there was a cupcake shop
        A cupcake store on 30th St? Maybe you mean a little further north on Ninth Avenue?

My building faces the avenue but posts in other threads (you should have a looksee) say it can get a little loud at night if your apt faces the street.

I have been here on 30th street for about 17 years and it's been rather stable. Got no complaints other than there's not a whole lot in the way of stores until you get down to 23rd Street.

Comment

yeah i wrote to the city about it when they posted the scaffold and notices last year.
          although it says "families" the person told me it turns out many of the residents "as it often is" she said will be men. and there will be thankfully social service assitance on site, so should be no biggie.
          i think they lost out on funding and so held off for 1 yr to build even though the demo was done in the blink of an eye. all gunned up and no money to build.
          anyway, as long as they don't drill etc at 7 am, they seem to have been quiet and our block, despite random mini dramatic episodes, is like a hamlet unto itself, especially now that there are 4 hostels on our block. the australian students are as benign as it gets in NYC.

What cupcake shop?
          Brown Cup? (that place is good - they have pistachio scones...)

Comment

In most cases the entire building is covered by steel scaffolding and mesh for easy work and safety. Typically it continues 3-5 weeks per planned schedule.

Comment

USPS is building a GEEN ROOF PARK see website it will be fabulous

http://www.usps.com/mailpro/2009/julyaug/welcome.htm

Stan

Originally posted by ELUR00 View Post
              Does anyone know what the latest is on the scaffolding on the apartment building at 30th between 8th and 9th. I am getting ready to move in on this block and it looks like the scaffolding has been up for a while, but the work is not close to finished. Also, There is a sign at the top of the building that says its tenents will be people that were formerly "homeless citizens". Does anyone know what the deal is here?

Also, how is the block in general as far as safety, restaurants, activity.
              I saw that there was a cupcake shop which is a good start.

thanks for any help

Comment

Hey, I'm thinking about moving into the same block (30th between 8th and 9th avenue) but I noticed this thread is a few years old. Is the block still safe? I'm a single woman, early 20s. Thanks.

Comment

It's a little dodgy, especially around the 8th Ave corner.

Comment

Is that just at night? On weekends? All day every day?

Comment

Is that just at night? On weekends? All day every day?

Pretty much 24-7. I suggest you go by there at various times to see for yourself.

Comment

Working...
                      X