CAR ALARM CRAZINESS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAR ALARM CRAZINESS

IS anyone else around 30th and 9th hearing this non stop car alarm tonight? I think it's been about 40 minutes non stop...one cycle ends and another begins with no pause.

I'm calling 311 but not too hopeful they'll do anything. If anyone else is bothered maybe enough phone calls would get the stupid thing towed!

Know it's Saturday night but it still would be nice to get some sleep. :-)

Re: CAR ALARM CRAZINESS

Circusgirl, sorry I couldn't respond Saturday night, but those car alarms drive me absolutley crazy!!@#$# They're maddening. And even more so because they do absoultely nothing. They don't protect the car because everyone ignores them. All they do is annoy the people who can hear them. One time an alarm like that went off right under my window. After about 5 minutes I called 911 and reported a car was being STOLEN! 911 asked what did the thief look like and I said, "I can't see him I just hear the car alarm." If we all called 911 and reported cars being stolen everytime we heard an alarm, I wonder how long (or short I should say), it would take before they passed a law outlawing car alarms!

There was another time just a few months ago when another car alarm went off across the street. Like this one it stayed on for about 45 minutes. I think I called 311 after about 30 minutes and reported it as a nonise complaint. The police showed up a few minutes later and told me they couldn't do anything because it wasn't over a certain decibel level. The car battery had begun to die and it was a lot quiter than it had been. If I had called earlier when it was louder they may have actually ticketed the car.

Comment

Maybe I'm dumb but aren't those alams supposed to cut off after a certain period of time? It's been so long since I had a car I don't even know.

Comment

Yeah they are... but for whatever reason they don't. And it's really infuriating when you have to sit there and listen to the same alarm going off for a whole hour sometimes. Like circusgirl said, they reach the end of their cycle, but then they just start right back up again. There really ought to be a law that if the alarm continues to go off when nothing is being done to the car, that the car can be ticketed. It was pretty crazy the night I called the cops out and they said they couldn't do anything because it wasn't reaching the right decibel level.

Comment

Something occurred to me just now in reading these posts.

Some years ago, I parked my old car on York Avenue, across the street from my boyfriend's house. That area where he lives, is considered a "quiet zone." Probably because it's mostly residential. Well, one morning, I received a call from him at work, telling me that my car had been ticketed for my car alarm just going off incessantly. I was freaking out, because until then, I had a pretty clean driving record. The ticket was some ridiculous amount but my boyfriend did pay it for me. (Very cool of him.) Anyway, I found out soon after, that if a certain neighborhood or area is in a "quiet zone," that cars will be ticketed for their alarms going off like that. So, unless things/laws have changed, I believe it is a zoning issue. If I'm incorrect in my assumption, I apologize for the error.

Personally, I don't think the cops gave a hang about decibel level although, again, I could be wrong about that.

I hate the fact that this also happens constantly in and around the block I live on as well. Sometimes, those darned alarms wake me up out of a sound sleep. To me, it's just as annoying as that friggin' Mr. Softee truck!

Hoping for alleviation for all, I remain....

"CC"

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up for me Jonathan. I thought that was the case. I am sorry for all of you. I'm relatively lucky since I overlook a court, so the sounds are muted. We had a guy on 23rd St years ago that when someone blocked the then parking lot used to paste (with glue) an 8x11 notice over the driver's side of the windshield. But who wants to run out in the middle of the night. Don't know what it said on it however. I think I mentioned this is a previous thread.

Comment

I think the one that has been going off every night is a gold Explorer. it's driving me bats.
              I think people park on 30th b/c it's a homey looking street, well-lit etc. but i am so sick of the car alarms and people koffee klatching on the sidewalk at 3am.

Comment

Vespa, if it's the same car everytime maybe one of us should get the license plate number and report it as a habitual offender. Or maybe JimR's suggestion is a good one! Maybe we should glue a Notice of Annoyance on the windshield!

And CC, what you said about the cops not caring about the decibel level - maybe you're right. Maybe the cops I talked to were just giving me a line to keep from having to do anything. Wouldn't surprise me.

Comment

Years ago when I had a car someone kept using it as a bench. When i found out who it was and also found their car. So I let the air out of 2 (not 1) tires then sat back and watched him fume.

Comment

I keep hearing 2 different cars do it.
                    I would bet it's the postal peeps cars'.
                    i'm so over the noise. time to do another letter.

Comment

Working...
                    X