No announcement yet.

W. 30th between 10th and 11th...safe??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W. 30th between 10th and 11th...safe??

I've lived in NYC for 5 years now, so I think I have a pretty good feel for the city. Problem is, my sister just moved here and is starting an internship on W. 30th between 10th and 11th. She's a young (21), pretty, NAIVE girl from the country with very little street smarts...my question is, is she going to be ok walking around the area during the day (she probably won't be there at night). When I've been there, it seems very deserted and a little scary.

Not trying to offend anyone, I just genuinely want to know if it's safe or not, especially for someone not really familiar with the city.

TIA for your opinions!!!

Re: W. 30th between 10th and 11th...safe??

Good luck to your niece in her new career/internship, first off.

I've not heard anything negative about the area you're describing. There are a number of large offices, galleries and corporations on 10th and 11th in the low 30s and high 20s, there are a lot of people working at the train yards, and there's frequently activity at the Javits Center nearby. I shouldn't think it would be an issue, especially during the day when the clubs are closed.

Can I say with certainty that it's safe? Of course not. Stuff happens everywhere. If you've been in the city for 5 years, you probably know that unfortunately no area is immune from crime. You could be in the swankiest part of the city and be mugged. That's true anywhere, not just in NYC. And nobody's really immune from being a crime victim, either, whether they're "young and pretty" or not. If your niece is really worried, all I can suggest would be to carry mace and consider taking a self-defense course. Those aren't bad ideas for anyone, really.
    Last edited by alexismckinnon; 05-31-2007, 09:56 AM. Reason: adding something!

Comment

Thanks Alexis. I think we got a skewed vision of what it's really like because we did our "test run" for her commute on Monday (Memorial Day), and I swear it was a ghost town...nothing but gates and fences with graffitti, garbage, and a few vagrants here and there. Not even really any traffic...of course, I panicked (and I live on the UES, which, though emptier than usual over the weekend, definitely still had people around!)

But I think you're 100% right...she went back yesterday for a meeting with her new boss, and she said it was like a different place...businesses and food carts everywhere, people on the streets, and lots of street traffic. I feel much better about things now!

So thanks so much for your response, and I'm going to stop being such an overprotective big sister

Comment

I think "Music," that she's darn lucky to have such a caring sister!

Rock on...

"CC"

Comment

Aww, thanks Chelseachick! I can't imagine what I'll be like when/if I'm a parent! I'm going to want to keep my kids on a leash with bells so I can hear them!

Comment

Just a few general, common sense, guidelines for NOT getting attacked in any large city ( always list these for my out of town guests). Some are obvious, but worth a mention anyway:

1) Always know who is around you, on your left, right, behind you, in front of you. And walk brisky, like you know where you are going.
            2) NEVER look lost at night, if you are lost make for the nearest diner, deli, whatever and ask for directions from the help or safely look at your map or guide in the establishment. During the day in a crowded place, looking at maps is fine, and some NYer will probably offer to help.
            3) Always know your "escape route", in case you need to make a hasty retreat, even if it's back to where you came from.
            4) Stay off your cellphone when in a "scary" place so you can concentrate (unless you're calling for help, of course).
            5) NEVER open your purse or pull out your wallet to give money to a panhandler on the street, they can grab it and run. If you are prone to giving money on the street to those less fortunate, keep some change in your pocket.
            6) Don't leave an an ATM until you have your act together (put money away, stow your atm CARD, close your bag securely).
            7) If you need to get out of a situation late at night, the best place is a bar, they usually have a bouncer or a real tough bartender.
            8) I often find that the mental cases that mumble are the scariest (they are the Mount St. Helens of nutjobs and may erupt at any time). In any case try to avoid the typical NY crazy, whether mumbling or ranting, even if you need to cross the street.
            9) Stay in the recommended waiting areas in the subway at night.
            10) Always carry a Metrocard in case you need to hop a bus to make a quick getaway.
            11) Don't enter an ATM if someone looks suspicious inside. If you need to enter an empty ATM, stand by the door until it locks. This way, if someone tries to force their way in, you can either try to hold the door shut until it locks or make a fast exit past them (you may lock someone out who is not trying to do you harm, but they should have a card anyway). Also, never hold the door open for anyone, you can possibley be holding it open for your very own mugger. Let them use their card to enter. If they have any working gray matter, they will understand.
            roby2000

Comment

Thanks Roby! Very helpful. I'm cutting and pasting and sending to her now.

You guys rock!

Comment

I also added a 12) When in an apartment/hotel, always ask "whose there" first before buzzing someone in (she keeps doing this...just assuming it's me and letting me in. I mean, it HAS been me every time, but now I'm just testing her!)

Comment

Thanks, chick, I missed that one. I guess living in a doorman building gives a false sense of security. I must start using my peephole more. in fact, even in a security building, unsavory delivery people, once inside, can travel via stairways to other floors.
                  roby2000

Comment

30th b/n 10th and 11th? There's a huge building there that just got demo'd for a parking garage. There's nothing there.
                    Just stay away from the wall on the train tracks side. Types are often camped out there. Other than that there is nothing there.
                    I wonder where she is working.

Comment

Working...
                    X