Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Pet Food

Hi,

Some interesting (and frightening) info on the pet food recall-- check out these sites:
    www.itchmo.com/
    www.howl911.com

Doesn't seem like many in the mainstream - or mainstream media- are that concerned. Seems like it's only a step away from human food being contaminated- or like a model of how it could happen, so seems to me worthy of study even for those not fond of animals.

Also- is anyone else out there having trouble figuring out what to feed their dog? I'm not feeling safe feeding mine anything commercial until this is over with. I heard on the evening news (on channel 5, I think!) not to feed your pet any dry food with wheat gluten, whether it's on the recall list or not- because right now it's all up in the air.

My dog's been eating cooked rice and ground turkey and veggies for two days- he loves it, but can't go on forever-it's not really all the right nutrients. But better than kidney failure, though. For the short term.

Friends in other cities have told me about local places making special food for dogs in light of recent events. Anyone know of anything like this in NYC? Any suggestions that don't involve cooking and giving him supplements forever?

Also, our local Gristedes still had some of the recalled food on the shelves as of today- I told the manager. If anyone else is really concerned about this, keep an eye open when you're shopping and let them know- some of these small delis or even larger stores may not have all the info or for some other reason may have failed to follow recall notices. IT could save someone's pet- maybe the pet of some non-tv watching person!

Hope everyone around here with a pet is okay and their pets are safe. Thanks.

Re: Help! Pet Food

ooops- sorry, this should have gone under the other Pet food thread....

Comment

"Also, our local Gristedes still had some of the recalled food on the shelves as of today..."

Gee, Gristedes huh? No surprise there! Especially, if it's the store on 9th Avenue. Nonetheless, although my baby cat passed last year of a totally unrelated illness, my love for animals runs really deep. I've emotionally adopted most of my friend's pets anyway, so it's kind of like I have God Children (he, he).

Anyway, thanks for the info. I'll definitely pass it on.

Peace!

"CC"

Comment

I

Our doggie eats Merrick Dry Food mixed with chopped liver or chicken breast or flounder or cod fish. And for breakfast she eats it with low fat yoggurt.

II

Yeah I wish we had a better supermarket than Gristides. They have a plague of rodens and their products are often outdated. They have staff that doesn't understand NYC. While they have coke with yellow tops available for Passover they put out the older botles with a red top because the rule is to offer the oldest product first. So I ordered my stuff from Fresh Direct.

Comment

re: Our doggie eats Merrick Dry Food mixed with chopped liver or chicken breast or flounder or cod fish.

I didn't catch the whole story on the news this morning, but there was something about a new, unrelated recall of foods containing chicken; something to do with salmonella. I'm not sure if it was on Channel 4, Channel 7 or CNN, but you might check their web sites for follow up. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Comment

Another interesting article on the recall from the SF Gate:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...03/petscol.DTL

Comment

Working...
            X