Fire on the block?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire on the block?

Last night (Monday, 3/27), around 8pm we were leaving our apt on 30th when we saw no less than 6 fire trucks (horns a-blazin) coming onto our block. They blocked off traffic at 30th and 9th. We couldn't tell where they were headed or if there was indeed a fire. Does anyone know?

Re: Fire on the block?

Brad, I have never seen fire trucks go anywhere where there was a fire that I could see! Wouldn't surprise me if it was nothing. I saw four or five trucks on our block a few weeks ago. Even saw firemen going in and out of a building near me. But no one reported any fire. I didn't see any fire or smell any smoke. So, who knows?

Comment

Re: Fire on the block?

This occurence is so pervasive in Chelsea. Especially, in the NYCHA houses here. I am constantly hearing blaring sirens, seeing flashing lights and 4 or 5 trucks barreling down 9th Avenue turning on 25th St. and then on 26th St. I tell you what, most of the time, it's some thug setting off a smoke alarm and/or someone who calls the fire dep't. for an erroneous reason.

In all the years and I mean I and many of my family members who have been in this nabe for well over 40 years, have been awakened at all hours of the night by fire trucks. I only have seen 2 fires actually occur in many, many years. One, was on a rooftop in one of the project buildings. That was 2 years ago, and last summer (I think it was summer), another rooftop fire on 24th Street.

I know kids and whomever think the FDNY is there for "everything," but, it's really sad and pathetic for someone to call them for nothing more than either a prank or a non-FDNY related issue. While these incredibly valuable heroes are answering these erroneous calls, someone could really use their help when a real emergency arises.

Pet Peeve. You think?

"CC"

Comment

Working...
      X