volunteer programs to help elderly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• volunteer programs to help elderly

The thread about the French apartments- the story about some of the older people who don't seem to go out- reminded me that I wanted to ask if anyone knows of any programs in this neighborhood helping the elderly...to volunteer for.

Obviously there's a huge elderly population around here. Just wondered if anyone knew of anything. I"m not an RN, looking more to help once a week with shopping or walking their dogs, or better yet, with anything that makes life a little more fun- bringing books, reading books, organizing community events, entertainment, etc.

If anyone knows of any programs like this in the city, particularly in Chelsea, please let me know. Thanks!

Re: volunteer programs to help elderly

Here's a cYb thread from last Jul/Aug that may help you:

http://chelsea.clickyourblock.com/bb...read.php?t=429

CD
    Need computer assistance?
    See my Classified/Computer maintenance listing or send me a private message.

Comment

Two very worthy places come immediately to mind: Hudson Guild (441 West 26 Street) and St. Francis of Assisi Church (135 West 31 Street). Both have very good programs and actively seek volunteers.

Good luck and congratulations on your willingness to help others!

Comment

Unless you are Catholic, I would stay away from the Catholic one... I have no specific experience with St. Francis of Assisi but I worked with several churches back in Massachusetts and being a bisexual atheist... let's just say no matter how much you invest in your community, you're still going to hell. A Catholic is a Catholic but hey, it's Manhattan, maybe they won't spout their hate speach so often when outsiders are around.

Comment

Hey Fitz:

I was raised Catholic and I'm not a "HATER."

I'm so sorry that you were made to feel excluded or judged. That sucks.

Volunteering should always be about compassion and helping others, not spewing "hatespeak."

How would so many of my close friends feel if I were to "judge" and disparage them for being who they are?

How awful. I just wanted you to know how a "formerly observant as a child," Catholic, has no affiliation with those narrow-minded and shallow individuals who use religion to hurt others.

Circusgirl: Bravo for your kind spirit and openly huge compassion for others!

"CC"

Comment

Circusgirl..

Nice to see your post about volunteering.

NYCares has a great set up and includes many opportunities to volunteer with seniors. You can also check out JASA, a Jewish run organization that helps seniors. Good luck and God bless.

Comment

Hey CC. I went to Catholic school; I was a devotee for the first 12 years of my life (we make the best atheists). After the remaining 5 years I stayed in the community, I realized how much pure hypocrisy goes on and couldn't believe I kept with it for so long. This isn't the thread to discuss this kind of stuff -- I just wanted Circusgirl to know my experience with volunteering in that environment.

Comment

Thanks everyone, for all of your helpful suggestions! As for the congratulations on my helpful spirit, etc... much appreciated, but not yet relevant, as I haven't lifted a finger to do anything! This does make me feel much more like going through with it, though. And, now I have so many places to try.

Thanks.

Comment

Fitz makes a good point, and I don't mean this against any organization. But any organization you volunteer with will have some point of view. It's good to know what that point of view is and whether or not you're in sync with it. As far as Catholics go I don't really care if they think I'm going to hell. As long as they don't take some kind of action based on that. Everybody has their theology. But they do do a lot of charity work and are probably one of the biggest private charity organizations in the city.

Comment

http://www.nycares.org/

Circusgirl...here's the nycares web address. There's a brief orientation and then you can choose from a number of short-term projects. They have no agenda other then to be helpful and caring citizens. I've done many projects and always have a good time and meet nice people.

Comment

Originally posted by LongTime Resident View Post
                      many projects and always have a good time and meet nice people.
                      I will second the "no agenda" thing about NY Cares. I have volunteered with them, off and on, over the years and have never run up against any sort of bias, except for the desire to help people.

Comment

so wonderful to hear AEG!

I'm curious which programs you volunteered for. I like the animal shelters and doing food service for the homeless. Also, the Coalition for the Homeless van on Saturday night is fun.

The most appreciative people I've found are the adults who need basic computer help. They do that right here in the nabe at the Chelsea Center near Hudson guild.

Comment

Fitzbergik,
                          I take extreme offense to your post, & I will pray for you & hope someday your ignorance & intolerance will change.........there is still time..........

Comment

Originally posted by Travis View Post
                            Fitzbergik,
                            I take extreme offense to your post, & I will pray for you & hope someday your ignorance & intolerance will change.........there is still time..........
                            As I had said before, this isn't the thread for this and if you would like to discuss with me why you are so offended Travis, I would love to over PM.

Your prayers are neither necessary or wanted. Besides, don't bother, I've already denied the holy spirit, there's no going back. Hell, here I come! Ha!

Comment

Fitzbergik,

Let's hope its a slow & painful burn for your loathing, self hating self...........

Comment

Working...
                              X