The French Apartments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The French Apartments

In addition to catalyst, and Vespa's father, someone else born in the French Hospital is poet laureate Billy Collins, in 1941. And Snap was right, Babe Ruth died there, in 1948 (Lou Gehrig died at home, in Riverdale).

The certificate of occupancy shows that the alterations by which the French Hospital was converted into the French Apartments were completed in 1981. If anyone is interested in property history and maps in NYC, a great online resource is:

http://www.oasisnyc.net/default.asp

Comment

I don't know the actuall story of the French Apartments but know about a tidy and tastefully decorated, spacious apartment with a balcony overlooking the Canet beach to the Mediterranean sea. Easy reach of several golf courses. When i gone to France, i always live in this beautiful apartment.

642-812 practice test
      N10-004 practice test
      70-640 practice test

Comment

Originally posted by 3fates View Post
        I lived in the French Apts. for almost 30 years. When I moved in, it was mostly low income families. Part of the building is federal Section 8, part is straight rent. I lived in the 30th St. building, but it also has a smaller building on 29th St. attached by a 4th floor walkway, which is now part of a handicap apt. The building has a string of handicap apts - one on each floor, beside the back elevator. The apts. on either end of the 30th St. building are one bedroom apts. The rest are either 1-3 bedroom apts, which is still mostly low income families. The size of the apts. is great, but one of the best things about the apts. is that because it was a hospital, the walls are very thick, and you can't hear your neighbors at all.

I've never seen the Lobby run down. Its not the greatest of colors, but then not everyone has the same taste. They always keep the lobby and floor halls very clean tho. Some of the upper apts. have wonderful balconies with the best views in town. Those of course, aren't section 8 apts however.

I moved to Princeton, NJ a couple of years ago, but my son still lives in the 30th St. building. He loves it.
        Thanks, 3fates. You said it well. I've live in the French Apartments for 12 years now. I am a regular tenant. Like most apartments in the city, they are as nice as you make them. It is a fine building with a great facade, spacious courtyard for children, well kept interiors, no pests, large units and some great views. I have put a lot of love into my apartment over the years, and it looks great. I'm also fortunate to have a balcony and plenty of heat in winter. The security booth window may seem a bit institutional, but who cares. It provides as a doorman and keeps us all secure. I can find much more inferior living conditions on W.30th and Chelsea. It is a great looking and historical building, and should one day be petitioned for a national landmark.

Comment

I found this a fascinating insight as i am currently applying for a related management apartment, when i saw the address i though, hold on that was down the block from me in my first NYC apartment on 29th st. 27 years ago. I could see it from my balcony very well, the sky walk i did see people in and lights i was sure someone lived in it. there were often summertime bbq activities in the courtyard but the trees obscured my view. It was a different new york in those days, I rarely went on 30th st. in 7 years, it was like crack kingdom. I think a lot of the block proprties has been sudivided into rooming houses. funny enough though i moved to something bigger and better in the unadulterated wild wild west of the meat market which has now lost all its character. then soho, then tribeca. Seems wherever i go i am followed by a transition of a neighborhood to middle american mediocre suburbanism. Thought about the printing district next but that has just been rezoned. Maybe LIC some of it still looks like a bladerunner scene

Comment

i love the French apartments real nice place

Comment

Working...
            X