The French Apartments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The French Apartments

Does anyone know about "The French Apartments" on W. 30th? - what's the "story" with this building, if any? Or is it just an old pre-war bldg. that gives off a certain vibe.... kind of intriguing and creepy at the same time?! Rentals? Co-ops? Know anyone who lives there? I imagine it has huge rambling apartments and that most people who live there are probably under rent control! Any info at all, anyone?

Re: The French Apartments

That building was originally The French Hospital, in its day considered one of the best private hospitals in the city. It was the site of Babe Ruth's death (it might have been Lou Gherig, but I think Ruth is correct). I believe that the hospital closed in the late 1960's or early '70's.

Comment

Originally posted by SNAP View Post
      That building was originally The French Hospital, in its day considered one of the best private hospitals in the city. It was the site of Babe Ruth's death (it might have been Lou Gherig, but I think Ruth is correct). I believe that the hospital closed in the late 1960's or early '70's.
      Thanks for the info, SNAP . . . very interesting. That it was a hospital first doesn't really surprise me, since banks, schools, churches etc. have been turned into apartments, so why not a hospital? I'd love to see what the apartments inside actually look like.

Comment

Yes. Philicita, in fact it did. I remember when it was a hospital very well.

Now, a friend of mine actually lives there. She has a pretty nice apt. (Co-op I think. )

"CC"

Comment

I can see into some of the apartments from my apartment. The few I can see are really sad. They still kind of look like hospital rooms. But what I meant by sad is that there is this older guy who just stays in his room all the time. He looks a little feeble. But I feel so badly for him because it doesn't look like he ever gets out. Just sits around that room all day. The other two I can see are the same. They are older people who look like they never get out. I always assumed the building must have some aspect of a hospital still left in it just by the way their rooms look. And by the fact that there are a lot of handicapped people who go in and out. A lot of people in wheelchairs. Seems it's still part hospital.

Comment

I actually went into the French Apartments once when I was new to the neighborhood...I was lost and asked for directions. From what I could see, the place looked somewhat run down, the lobby was dingy. There was a security guard at the door in a little glass booth that made the place look like a prison. hopefully it's nicer upstairs.

Comment

Yes! That's exactly right Alexis. That security guard really does make it feel like a prison. Not to mention she's incredibly unhelpful. One day, I was trying to catch the UPS guy who was parked right outside the French Apartments, but he wasn't in his truck. I decided to wait for him to return, but it was freezing cold. It was like 15 degrees that day (a couple of years ago), so I went into the French Apartments lobby - well, not the lobby - but that little area next to the guard's cage. To be more clear, I was just inside the door, but not really in the building. The guard yells at me from inside her cage and tells me I can't wait there. I almost begged. I told her I was just waiting for the UPS guy and surely she could understand it was too cold to stand outside (since I wasn't wearing a coat). She said, nope, I had to move. That was so unbelievably rude and unhelpful. I couldn't even begin to understand why she was being so strict about it. Anyway, it left me with a really bad taste in my mouth for that place.

You're also right, that it does look pretty run down.

Comment

A few years ago I read that it was a Section 8 rental building and that the owner was trying to remove it from Sec.8. I never heard what the result was.

Comment

What is a Sec 8 building? I have no idea what that is. But I will say the French Apartments - definitely not your normal apartment building.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesB View Post
                    What is a Sec 8 building? I have no idea what that is. But I will say the French Apartments - definitely not your normal apartment building.

Section 8 is Federally subsidized (HUD) housing.

See this site:
                    http://www.hud.gov/offices/pih/progr...fact_sheet.cfm

CD
                    Need computer assistance?
                    See my Classified/Computer maintenance listing or send me a private message.

Comment

If my friend's apt. is Section 8, then I'm really surprised. My friend's apt is really nicely done up. Maybe it was rundown when she moved in with her 2 kids, but perhaps she decided to just make it nice on her own. I don't know.

As far as the rest of the building, "birdcage" included in the lobby, yeah. It does kind of remind me of a prison or a psychiatric facility from the movies/tv.

Comment

Okay, gang. Section 8 is a godsend to some of us. I have a chronic illness, cannot work, and without it I'd be in big trouble. You don't know how difficult life can be until god forbid illness or disability hits you in some way. Even if it's a little bit funky, I'm glad the people in the French apts. have a roof over their heads. I don't live there, but I'm glad I have a place to live, too! Times are tough; have a little empathy.

Comment

Cool, Thanks for the info CD!

Comment

Originally posted by phtp2 View Post
                            Okay, gang. Section 8 is a godsend to some of us. I have a chronic illness, cannot work, and without it I'd be in big trouble. You don't know how difficult life can be until god forbid illness or disability hits you in some way. Even if it's a little bit funky, I'm glad the people in the French apts. have a roof over their heads. I don't live there, but I'm glad I have a place to live, too! Times are tough; have a little empathy.
                            well said. Section 8 is really a good program. I have friends who have received housing vouchers and other help, and without it, they'd really have been forced to totally leave the city or become homeless. I totally agree with you. I do think the French Apartments are very grim and prisonlike, but they're home to a lot of people, and i have all the empathy in the world for those who live there.

Comment

"cc," I was under the impression that there is both supply side and demand side section 8, so a whole building does not necesarilly have to qualify. I wouldnt assume from this thread that your friend uses vouchers because of the building. I may be wrong though...

Comment

Working...
                              X