Leaning Building on 29th/8th

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Leaning Building on 29th/8th

I agree, SNAP. However, speaking optimistically, perhaps this means that the erector of this scaffolding (be it the landlord or The City) understands the clear and credible danger this poses and they are preparing to do something?

Comment

Referecing Leaningtoweron29th's previous post about this building, it was explained that the "powers that be," were having everyone move out to shore up the walls, etc. So, apparently, "they" are aware of the danger there.

Thank goodness, someone FINALLY sees the peril this leaning building could potentially cause to residents and passersby alike. In my opinion, it shouldn't take media attention or a blog to get these folks to DO SOMETHING. It's pathetic how some owners/property managers will do anything but spend a friggin' buck until it's almost too late!

Comment

Looking for an update?

Some of your posts honestly make me laugh. That building has been in the same condition for YEARS, leaning in that fashion. I don't know if you are new to the neighborhood or what, but it wasn't as urgent of an issue and saying you won't walk on that side of the street is just silly. The building isn't going to explode!

The exterior wall is about 1/2 removed and an entire solid steel structure has been erected internally. They will put up an interior wall, then an exterior around the steel structure, which will then be supporting the building vertically and also be holding up each individual floor. The demolished insides are creepy (we can't go in at this stage anymore), but we aren't living there right now so the repairs are more than welcome. It's taking a little longer than anticipated due to the weather we have been having, and this isn't a "big boys" demolishion job, it's being done by one of the "real guy" crews. I can't wait to move home!!!

Thanks for everyone for being so interested!

Comment

Hey LeaningTowerOn29th! How's it going in your temporary living situation? I'm just curious - are you staying with friends or something or did you have to rent a place temporarily? You guys must really love it there to move out and then move back! Most people would probably just move out for good.

Anyway, Im glad to hear they're doing all the work on it.

As far as being "silly" for us not to want to walk near it - I don't know. It may be. But I think we live our lives too much of the time these days going on the word of so-called experts. Some things are just plain for all to see and don't really need any expert interpretation. I think this is one of those things. Just to look at it - that building is really leaning and it seems reasonable to stay away from it if you can. Yes, I have walked next to it many times. But when I think about it I will go on the other side of the street.

I think the fact that they're doing such serious structural work shows you that there was a real danger. I mean they asked you guys to move out so they could do the work. That's pretty seirous. Those aren't the kinds of actions you take when a building is perfectly safe. So I think it was reasonable for those of us who did - to think it might not be the wisest thing in the world to spent a lot of time near it!

So, when do you think you can move back in? When you do will the floors be leveled or will they still lean?

Comment

There's now a sign on the front that says "Coming Soon - Uncle Nick's" (Greek food) ... who would invest in that space?
            Kapoia apo Ellada?

Comment

And it's still leaning, in spite of all the new paint...

Comment

It looks worse and more scary than ever... It's crazy how on the north/front side of the building all the A/C's are installed in the windows - that can't help any.

Comment

RE: "And it's still leaning, in spite of all the new paint..."

The paint job seems to make it even more obvious. Maybe it's a new super-bonding adhesive paint that holds the building up!

After the stories coming out about buildings inspections in the wake of the D Bank Building killings and injuries, it makes one wonder how well this particular property was looked at, whether it was "self-certified" etc, etc.

Comment

I'm TOTALLY mad crazy about Greek food, but even Uncle Nick's isn't worth dying for. My advice--as they say in Greece:

Αγαπώ την ελληνική κουζίνα αλλά δεν είμαι πρόθυμος να πεθάνω για την.

Translates to, "order it for delivery.'

Comment

I walked past it again tonight, and it seriously looked as if it were listing even more to the side. I don't know if I was tired and seeing things, but I actually stopped to stare at it for a moment because it really looked startling. It's scary.

Comment

Timbeeeeeerrrrrrrrrr!!!!

Comment

You guys are cracking me up! Alexis I'm the same way. I can't walk past that building anymore now without staring at it for a bit before I move on. I have to say I had the same reaction recently - that it looked like it was leaning more than ever. Which I couldn't understand since they've done all that work on it. Figured it was just an optical illusion. But now that you mention it too - maybe not.

Stay on the west side of the street!

Comment

Know what's really wack'd? I was just in Pisa by accident about a week ago, in the middle of the night, and someone said, before we drove out of the city, don't you want to see the leaning tower for just a minute...?
                            And my first thought was, yeah, sure, but I can see leaning buildings at home...

Comment

Working...
                            X