Leaning Building on 29th/8th

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaning Building on 29th/8th

1010 WINS reports this building on 8th at 29th is leaning significantly. Anybody seen it?

(Oct 31, 2006 - Audio)
    http://www.1010wins.com/play_window....audioId=160914
    Last edited by Jonathan; 11-03-2006, 01:39 AM. Reason: To add photo and commentary

Re: Leaning Building on 29th/8th

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but last night on the 5pm news, they were saying how a building at 8th and 26th had a big crack in it and they were afraid it might collapse. Sure enough when we went out last night, the corner was roped off and there were cops/firefighters over there. (It was the SE corner, across from Gristede's and Duane Reed).

Though the audio you have reports it as 29th st, it may be the same thing. I can't seem to find any online news reports of the 26th street building.

Comment

Here's the story from last night about the shaky building:
      http://www.myfoxny.com/myfox/pages/N...Y&pageId=3.2.1

Of course the caption's wrong (it says 23rd st, but is really 26th st).

Comment

Isn't that the little building that used to house an Italian restaurant, "Daniela"? I never ate there, but wanted to,
        and was surprised to see it closed (quite a while ago).

Comment

Daniela's was on the southeast corner of 26th Street and 8th Avenue. I used to go there all the time. The food was delicious. Shame that's it's closed. Doesn't surprise me though. All the old staples of this nabe are going, going gone, it seems like anyway...

"CC"

Comment

Oh it was on 26th... Sorry I never made it to Daniela's, it looked like a cute, inviting eaterie. Oh well...

Comment

I just took some photographs of the leaning building (which I posted in Vidis' first message in this blog). Seems there are two different buildings in question here. The leaning building is at 29th & 8th. Daniella's building is indeed roped off, but it's not clear what they're doing to it.

The leaning building is seriously leaning. It's completely visible to the naked eye. If any of you have a car that you park in that lot just to the left of it, I'd seriously find another garage! The building looks precarious.

Comment

Luxury highrises in both spots is my guess......

Comment

Funny, a friend suggested to go to Daniella's last year, so i took my parents and some family... i was so excited to go because it looked like a cute little Chelsea secret... Well, .... it's been a year, so i can't report 100% exactly what happened, but quickly... the service was rude, the food was so so at best and it was a rip off, so over-priced. Oh well...

Comment

I saw the building on my way to the train at Penn Station. That is frightening how badly it was leaning. Funny that I pass that way all the time and until it was mentioned here, I never noticed how badly it was leaning.

Comment

Funny. my wife and I were just noticing that leaning building a few weeks ago.
                      Reminds me of that episode of Mad About You where Paul swears the floors are slanted in their apartment. "Whoooaaa!"

Comment

OMG! I remember that episode too. That was one of the better ones. I just loved that show.

Ha, ha...

"CC"

Comment

This building, I noticed it the other day after reading about it here, is really slanted. My building is slightly slanted. You can't see it with the naked eye. Yet you can totally tell on the inside that the floors are slanted. But this building is visibly slanted - very visible to the naked eye. I can't even imagine what their floors must feel like. Must be really annoying. It doesn't look at all safe?

Comment

Just an update about the building on the NE corner of 29th and 8th: It's been 40 days since this thread was started and who-knows-how-long before that since the condition began. I passed by the other day and the scaffolding is still up with no apparent work. Considering vibrations from heavy traffic on 8th Avenue, on 29th Street (used as a crosstown route to the tunnel) and the 8th Avenue subway, I guess that the city is waiting for a full-blown disaster before something is done. Why bother to PREVENT the problem. I agree with phtp2's comment about "luxury high rises;" it may be more viable financially for someone to let it fall than to PREVENT the problem.

Comment

I really think it's leaning more now than it was when I took that photograph! Maybe it's my imagination but it definitely seems worse. Maybe I'll try to take another photo from the same spot and see if we can really tell.

If scaffolding is up then surely people who should know - know about it. But it is very surprising that nothing seems to be getting done. I still reel when I think about that girl (or possibly guy - don't remember) who was interviewed on the news about it - she lives there and said it was a wonderful building and she didn't see any problem at all! Unbelievable.

Comment

Working...
                              X