Have you seen this woman?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you seen this woman?

Just curious if anyone else on W 30th has noticed this woman walking up and down the street? If I hadn't lived here for awhile and just saw her once or twice I wouldn't have thought anything about it because she seems perfectly normal-at first. But, after seeing her everyday for months there's something weird. First, she's always wearing the same thing. You can't see it in this picture, but she has gloves on, she always wears gloves, no matter how hot it is outside. And that hat, she always wears that hat, even in August. She wears this same outfit every day. She walks up and down the street really fast like she's running late for something. It seems normal at first except you'll see her walk up the street one minute and down the next. Then back up, then down again. Over and over and over again all day long. It's very strange.

ADMIN NOTE: You have to be logged
    in to view photos.

Attached Files

Ut oh...another 30th street mystery....I think John solved the flip calender/numerology mystery. Now another one....good luck Charles!

Comment

Re: Have you seen this woman?

I might have to go up there just to experience this myself, sounds fascinating.

Comment

Charles...um....my first guess is she's a wacko. I'll have to walk by next time I'm in the nabe. Can you see her from your window doing this all day?

Comment

Charles,

Why don't you ask her if she has the time? Keep us posted; I am intrigued. W30th sounds pretty exciting these days; you guys have the best unsolicited street entertainment in Chelsea!

Is that a portfolio in her hands?

CM

Comment

she is doing a sociological dissertation on 'apathy and agrandisement in urban corridors: X-ray vision a city dwellers view' can you imagine?

ok, yeah, no -the truth will be more interesting in all likelihood. If she is mentally ill - god love her. I hope the increased attention & growing audience leads her to good health, etc. great lil city stories the numbers thing and this! Thanks Charles B. et al.

Comment

I've seen her! She was in the deli on the corner the other day and I noticed something was weird. She walked in, went up to the counter, said something to the guy, acted like she was pulling money out of a wallet, then suddenly she put the wallet back in her purse, then she pulled it out again and pretended to pull money out of it again, then put it back in her purse - again! She did this maybe 5 or 6 times. I think she might have that obsessive compulsive disorder, whatever it's called.

I'd be afraid to ask her what time it is, not out of any physical fear but out of fear that she might go into some never ending loop of looking at her watch then looking at me, then back at her watch, then back at me!

Anyway, I think she probably has a real mental illness and therefore deserves our kindness if we happen to run into her.

Comment

Well....I have seen her, nearly every day...we've commented on all the above behavior in our household, and wondered. I would imagine it's some kind of obsessive compulsive thing..and I just have to say, that is not necessarily so disabling that it would rule out the possibilty she'd be be capable of getting on this website and reading this thread.... and perhaps feeling embarrassed and like she doesn't have any privacy.

I love clickyourblock, and love to know what my neighbors are thinking about- it's a great site...but gotta be a little careful, too...I live on 30th and certainly hope I don't wind up with a picture someone took of me on an off day "did you see this terrible outfit?" I'm all for taking pictures that might embarass people doing destructive things like peeing on car doors... (No offense, Charlesb. I know it was in the spirit of fun, like the numbers thing) But it did make me think about this- NYC is the best city on earth, partially for it's anonymity factor.... keep this in mind! I will. Best to all.

Comment

I totally hear you circusgirl. I purposely showed a picture that didn't show her face for that very reason. I'm not trying to embarass anybody and I consciously showed a picture from behind for that reason. I also agree with JonD that she probably has a true illness and should be shown compassion from any of us who may happen to run into her. The only reason I posted the photo was because that was the only way I had to show you who I was talking about. I knew most of you on the block would probably have seen her and I was interested in your opinions about what her deal might be.

Comment

Hi Charlesb--sorry, didn't mean to seem like I'm coming down on you. It's obvious the intention- another chelsea mystery, in a place where we all chat with neighbors... I guess for some reason I just imagined her seeing herself there, whether anyone else would recognize her or not. Didn't mean to sound scolding, though. And like virtualpleasure said- maybe the attention will lead to help of some kind, you never know!

Comment

Circusgirl, not a problem. I didn't mind your comments, I had actually thought about what you said before I did it, and I decided that as long as I only showed her from behind it should be okay. Maybe not, I don't know. I hope it's okay. And I hope if she does happen to see it (which I really doubt will happen because I have a feeling she probably doesn't have a computer), but if she does, I hope she'll see that thanks to comments like yours and jond's and the others, that we all actually care about her and only wish to see good things for her.

And yeah, maybe it might help her to realize it might be beneficial for her to seek out help. And in fact, if she has been unable to get help, maybe she could write in here and someone here might be able to point her to a place where she could get help.

I totally understand why you said what you did. Not a problem at all!

cb

Comment

Her name is emily! She is very nice, and always asks for a cigarette if you are smoking. If you want to speak with her, pretend to be smoking.
                        ;-)

Comment

Oh wow! You know her... that's cool! So, what's her story? If you pretend to smoke, will she ask you for a cigarette?

Comment

Yeah, that woman resides in the crackhouse next door. She was friendly with the guy (some change something to eat) who the concierge threw out of the building two months ago. He resides now on 110 St but still returns to our street asking for $$$$$ and food. She also requests from time to time $$$$, food, and cigarettes.

Comment

I have seen this woman. I do volunteer ork over at St John the Baptist Church. I can usually find her sitting in the back of the church not bothering anybody. She definetely has some sort of mental issues happening.

Comment

Working...
                              X