Have you seen this woman?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Have you seen this woman?

It is really shameful. People like this poor woman need serious psychiatric treatment and the authorities should put them in an institution until they are able to live again as independent citizens of our civilized society. They pay an unfair price for being born in a society that cares more for money than for people.

Comment

Not all mentally ill people need or want to be institutionalized. Many of them may have what we consider odd behaviors, but if they are on their meds regularly, and not hurting themselves or anyone else, then they do not need to be in a hospital. Having worked with them for many years, I know that many mentally ill people are friendly, quite intelligent folks who have an unfortunate disease. They just want to live their lives like we do. Many go to school for advanced degrees; those that can't often get some kind of training or job, even if it's handing out fliers. Most mentally ill people are NOT violent; it is the few we see in the media that give the rest of them a bad rap. Most are responsible and want to stay on their meds and also want to work on their lives through therapy. They are brave people who have to deal with a lot. Even the so-called "violent" ones that we see in the media often have been taken off their meds by an unfeeling doctor, or they can't get into a treatment plan, or something along these lines.

Comment

Holy cow.
        I saw this chica in the D'Aiuto. She did the same thing with the $$ and thgen asked the guy for a free coffee and donut. When he said nope, she just bolted out like nothing happened.
        This is really weird.
        Maybe we should just ask her ?

Originally posted by JonD View Post
        I've seen her! She was in the deli on the corner the other day and I noticed something was weird. She walked in, went up to the counter, said something to the guy, acted like she was pulling money out of a wallet, then suddenly she put the wallet back in her purse, then she pulled it out again and pretended to pull money out of it again, then put it back in her purse - again! She did this maybe 5 or 6 times. I think she might have that obsessive compulsive disorder, whatever it's called.

I'd be afraid to ask her what time it is, not out of any physical fear but out of fear that she might go into some never ending loop of looking at her watch then looking at me, then back at her watch, then back at me!

Anyway, I think she probably has a real mental illness and therefore deserves our kindness if we happen to run into her.

Comment

I know her! I see her all the time walking up and down the street! Lately, her stocking have been looking a bit crappy and hole-y. If you smoke, she'll come up and ask you for a cigarette very nicely but with that crazy look in her eyes. She will also pick up your cigarette butts off the street and smoke them. Highly entertaining/disturbing.

Comment

I see her all the time to. She does wear that outfit all the time.
            even when its really cold out

Comment

Oh man I saw her yesterday and her stockings are totally ruined! But she's still wearing them. So now she's walking around in this cold weather in the exact same clothes but basically no stockings to keep her legs warm.

Comment

Well, she resides in the yellow building on the south side of the street, and she might be poor and crazy but otherwise she is okay.

Comment

Hey Salomon! Long time no see!

Yeah, I saw her walk into her building the other day. It was so funny... she was rushing in like she was in a huge hurry. Unlocked the door very matter-of-factly, put her key in, turned it quickly in her non-nonsense style, pushed the door open and rushed in. No doubt - just to come back out a few minutes later and do it all over again. It's like she has GHDD or something. ("Ground Hot Day" Disorder)

Comment

She lives on this street?? I thought she lived in that homeless shelter between 7th and 8th. Hmmm... Anyway, I noticed she got a brand new pair of tights. I guess Santa was nice to her this year. Maybe she's secretly an heiress to some major family like a Vanderbilt or a Rockerfeller.

Comment

Yesterday she was arrested in front of 305 W 30th Street together with another crack head and drunk named Tom, a white fellow with a beard. He has been hanging on that corner for many years. His brother's face turned blue from one desease or another. I spoke to the NYPD officer who said that these folks refure any help and that they are impossible and refuse to go to the available shelters. The lady does not live on our street but she knows her way into the yellow building where she lodges from time to time. All these folks should be deported to a center where they can learn how to return to a normal life in this country.

Comment

Originally posted by Salomon View Post
                        ...All these folks should be deported to a center where they can learn how to return to a normal life in this country.
                        The conservative columnist George Will once wrote (and I paraphrase): The problem with 'rehabilitation' is one makes the assumption that the individual was 'habilitated' in the first place.

NYC is a city of diversity, (New York Diver-City if you will) & on the extreme edges it can get pretty ugly, but I really must take exception to your suggestion of a round-up of those that make up the "underbelly" of the Beast. It appears the Mystery Lady has an appreciation for many aspects of the spectrum. According to your account she hangs out with a 'white' guy (majority) & a 'blue' guy (a definite minority in these parts but making a come back since Mel Gibson's 'Braveheart').

Forced interment is not an acceptable option, even for the above named extremists, including Mel Gibson.
                        I think even George Will would agree to that.

CD
                        Need computer assistance?
                        See my Classified/Computer maintenance listing or send me a private message.

Comment

All these folks should be deported to a center where they can learn how to return to a normal life in this country.
                          Salomon...Really?

Speaking for myself, one of Jewish heritage, I find that view and the usage of the word "deported" rather frightening. This is not Nazi Germany and we have prison for criminals. We do not ''deport" those who some "regime" decides is below their "standards".

Let's have some compassion. Later today, I'm volunteering at a soup kitchen. I will feel GREAT when these folks smile and thank or bless me and I see them fill their bellies. (And I'll try not to visualize these people being deported.)

Comment

I agree, LTR and Seedy! I used to work with mentally ill adults and mentally ill chemical abusers (MICA), and their lives are unbelieveably difficult and complicated. Many have behaviors that seem odd to us, but are really them just trying to live their lives. Obtaining housing, getting a good doc who regularly monitors their meds, or getting into a treatment program to get help and get off drugs is very difficult; some are able to work, but finding a job is very hard.

I don't know what this woman on 30th Street's story is, but she seems to feel comfortable there, and doesn't seem to be hurting anyone. If anything, people might want to think of ways to help her, rather than "deport" her. Or just leave her alone.

Comment

she hangs out with a 'white' guy (majority) & a 'blue' guy (a definite minority in these parts but making a come back since Mel Gibson's 'Braveheart'). Forced interment is not an acceptable option, even for the above named extremists, including Mel Gibson.
                              CD...you're a riot...sick, but a riot.

Comment

people might want to think of ways to help
                                Phtp...you said it!

I can't stress enough how much better you feel after you've volunteered at a soup kitchen. Much better then when you complain. And if you are ever brave enough to get to know or talk to some of "these" folks, you will hear a lot of enlightening, amazing and heartbreaking stories.

Don't think any one of us is immune from this.

Comment

Working...
                                X