Grocery Store on W 30 St

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grocery Store on W 30 St

Walking home this morning I was wondering if anybody knows what happened to the folks of the small grocery store on West 30th Street, next door to the hostel. It has been closed since September 11, 2001. Something should be done with that place. Since it has been closed its front became the gathering place and public lavatory of the homeless.

Re: Grocery Store on W 30 St

I guess no one can afford the commercial rent there.

Too bad.
    Do you know the dimensions of that store?
    Bellgaio
    Jo Sea Enterprises
    www.joseavideo.blogspot.com

Comment

I looked that place up on property shark a coupla weeks ago. It's condemned and is now uin the hands of the NYC Housing Authority/DOB. Hopefully it becomes a cafe.
      Funny thing about that hostel - did you guys know it used to be a brothel about 4 yrs ago?
      That's why suddenly there are Swedish kids always hanging around out front.

Comment

That's interesting. I saw some folks killing the rats there yesterday. It has been empty since 9/11

Originally posted by Vespa
        I looked that place up on property shark a coupla weeks ago. It's condemned and is now uin the hands of the NYC Housing Authority/DOB. Hopefully it becomes a cafe.
        Funny thing about that hostel - did you guys know it used to be a brothel about 4 yrs ago?
        That's why suddenly there are Swedish kids always hanging around out front.

Comment

I think the people had too many violations and abondoned it after not paying taxes. That was a spooky little market anyway. They'd sell like 2 loaves of bread and a few bananas. I think it was a "front" like this little stores in Coney Island by the beach.

Comment

Hello Vespa, I don't post very often but had to reply to yours. The grocery store in question was run by some very nice Greek people originally. They had standard grocery items as well as a deli station. The prices were incredible. A tunafish sandwich went for $1.45, Ham and cheese hero was $2.00. I believe they also had hot food. I remember one day I walked in and there was a sign that read, "We are sorry but we have to raise our coffee price 5 cent. I asked how much it was before and they replied 40 cents! Madonna used to shop there when she lived at the Star Hotel across the street (She went back years later and shot footage there saying so). Unfortunately beer sold for $1.00 and that caused major headaches. The alkies were there constantly, and since it was open 24/7, people would buy and drink into the late night (usually in front on my building 309) and proceed to pass out. It was eventally taken over by an Indian family. It closed maybe a year or two later and was the happiest day of my life here on 30th St.

Side note: The hostel was a brothel once as well as the first floors of 309, and the other two buildings that look like 309. The madam lived across the hall from me. The police and or management must have known something
            but they were never touched. Then one day the FBI came calling and finally closed them down, but not for prostitution but for cocaine trafficking.

Comment

Hey Plattermatter... that was very interesting. You should post more often! And I agree with you guys - that place was Skankville. The block is much better off with it closed down. I'd like to see them open a Prada store in that space!

Comment

I actually think I did get a sandwich or 2 from there when I moved onto the block, but then place got strange to me....
                My friend who is a journalist wrote an article about that corner brothel/hostel, he did all kinds of research and then soon after the brothel closed.
                Something decent should go in there no doubt.

Comment

I would love it if something decent went in that place...but it's bizzarre, we can'teven seem to fill all the empty space over on the corner of 30th and 9th....the starbucks has been empty since it closed, also the space on the corner of 31st and 9th that used to be T.S. Ma chinese food has been empty for what, now? Two years? It's been a little ominous, to me, the way no one will rent the spaces and meanwhile the formerly homeless housing is going up....wondering how the neighborhood's going to develop.

I"m pretty ignorant on that, though, it may be fine and really helpful to people who need, appreciate and take care of it, which would be terrific.

Comment

Yeah I think the postal workers it was aimed at resisted the $7 iced mochachocalattes and whatnot.
                    It'd be really nice to have a cafe with wireless hookup, good coffee, and some cool books for sale. Something petite and social....The only bookstore around here is Penn Books but it's crammed to the gills and unhospitable.
                    It'd be outstanding if D'Aiuto took it over and made like a D'Aiuto next door sit-down cafe zone for bakery fresh treats. I doubt it'll happen, but def. worth the daydream....

Comment

Yeah, wouldn't that be great!? It'll never happen though. No way this neighborhood so full of homeless and druggies could support that kind of store. It would be nice though!

Comment

Originally posted by plattermatter
                        Side note: The hostel was a brothel once as well as the first floors of 309, and the other two buildings that look like 309. The madam lived across the hall from me. The police and or management must have known something
                        but they were never touched. Then one day the FBI came calling and finally closed them down, but not for prostitution but for cocaine trafficking.
                        That's quite a story...I live in 309 and I feel like there are a lot of apartments here with a rotating cast of tenants. I wonder if they're still in business.

Comment

We should get starbucks to re-open. It seems like the neighborhood has changed a lot since it closed. Did you know we're one of the least starbucks-populated areas in manhattan?

Comment

Yup. If I'm craving Starbucks, I usually go to the (only) one I know of in the neighborhood, on 8th Ave. between 23rd and 22nd Sts. I live in P.S. so, it's not that far but, I really did appreciate the one on 9th Ave. it was so much more convenient to me.

Comment

I think the neighborhood could really support at starbucks. SO many young people are moving in. Sadly, I spend between $10 and $15 there a day. I'm sure I'm not alone on that...

Comment

Working...
                              X