X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• momjo
    started a topic sad news

sad news

A bicyclist was killed today by a post office truck on 9th ave. So sad. I saw it on the news tonight and someone mentioned it to me earlier that the bike was still on the ground.

• momjo
    replied
    Re: sad news

yes they have also cursed at me. glad i could be of help

Leave a comment:

• Melian
    replied

Originally posted by momjo View Post
    ... There were teens out there by whole foods with a petition to add more bike lanes last week and I toldthem no way was I goingto sign it. I have a bad habit of standing on the edge of the sidewalk- ok the gutter forgetting that bike lane is there and one f these days some bike rider is going to hit me if I am not careful.
    Actually, I'm not against bike lanes, but I don't think the city should add more than they can control. It seems from reading this g this thread, they can't handle the existing lanes.

Glad to have read this thread and thanks to Momjo for posting this and making me aware. I will definitely not be signing any petitions for more bike lanes. I've almost been hit by speeding bikes myself. And, they had the audacity to curse me for not watching for them. The city needs to judge how adding a convenience for one group affects others.

Leave a comment:

• 10/11block
    replied

I'm sorry to hear that -- black and blue! Watch out in the subway -- I don't know many times...! (and good to hear it's not just me not getting out of the way, or figuring I have to jump!)

Bike report from yesterday: 1st: the big SUV decides it's me or you and turns right into me as I'm crossing straight at an intersection; I decided against suicide as a way to teach him a lesson; 2nd: A (delivery?) guy (on a bike) swinging around the corner the wrong way towards me, as the truck he is hidden behind starts pulling out. Oh. My God.

Leave a comment:

• momjo
    replied

yes I do get hit by backpacks as well LOL- it aint funny- I have limited vision but people can't tell since I do not look different and do not carry a cane for vision purpopes. I get black and blue easily and I wonder how I got black and blue

Leave a comment:

• magpie
    replied

and it's too bad you can't give tickets to folks who walk around mindlessly, Or self righteously, cross against the light, and scare the hell out of riders; or walk on the red (light) and stare at the bike the whole time the bike is coming towards them.
    You make a good point. When I thought about it I realized that as I am now getting to the age where I don't walk as fast as I used to even the pedestrian traffic has become become dangerous. People walk 4 or even 6 abreast and don't yield for a single person trying to pass; people walk very aggressively and especially if they're carrying a back pack or a heavy bag they bump into you (and it hurts, even if it's by accident) and they won't even stop to apologize. And the thing that really gets me is when I'm walking and I see someone trying to pass I move to the right to let them. Is moving to the right to allow someone to pass only something that I dreamed or are we supposed to do that? I guess the answer is that in such a crowded city we need better road rules.

Leave a comment:

• 10/11block
    replied

and it's too bad you can't give tickets to folks who walk around mindlessly, Or self righteously, cross against the light, and scare the hell out of riders; or walk on the red (light) and stare at the bike the whole time the bike is coming towards them.
    Yesterday, a car raced me, on a bike (who had a cushion of space to turn), to turn left, and then leaned on the horn and made me deaf for awhile.

Leave a comment:

• magpie
    replied

I don't doubt that there are responsible cyclists but there are far too many who don't obey the traffic laws and, again, my feeling is that any vehicle with the potential of doing harm should be licensed and have to carry insurance. I had a friend who was knocked down by a bicycle and had to spend two weeks in a hospital and rehab and had to bear the cost of it himself. One of these days even if I don't get directly hit by a bicycle I have the feeling I'm going to have a heart attack from being so frightened by narrow escapes.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• 10/11block
    replied

I hate hearing how crazy bike riders ride. I try to be very careful, even as they walk directly in front of me when I have the light -- annoying! Happens every time I ride.

I occasionally do get on the sidewalk, like going to my building door, but I use the rule that if the person was me, how fast would I want the bike to go? How would I want to not feel threatened?

One of my pet peeves is that delivery guys -- usually Chinese it looks like -- now have powered bikes, and ride aggressively where bikes usually are. One guy honked at me because I was in his way

Did you hear the news story about the bike rider who got the ticket for not riding in the bike lane, and then made a movie of himself doing just that (riding in the bike lane), crashing into trash cans put in the way, trucks parked in the bike lane, sawhorses put out for some else's convenience, cars using it as a parking lane -- I'm sure the guy got black and blue making this film.

Leave a comment:

• EchoSri
    replied

It's outrageous, it seriously is. These people can seriously hurt someone and, if they so choose, keep right on going. While you did not mention the age of the woman knocked down, when you knock an elderly person down, you may very well change a life that was active to a life on a walker or in a wheel chair and at very worst, possibly dead. Too many of the cyclists are totally irresponsible and I have yet to see any of the "responsible" riders challenge the irresponsible riders. High fines, and a bit of social pressure might do some good. Police, Police, ticktes, tickets. Letters to the mayor who has wasted so much of the taxpayers money on this silly idea. New York is not very much like any European or Asian city I know where this might work.

Leave a comment:

• magpie
    replied

This morning I saw a young man on a bicycle hit a young woman and knocked her to the ground. The newsstand man helped her and put some ice on her shoulder. She fell on her shoulder and said she also hit her head. The fellow who knocked her down did get off the bike to see how she was. As I was crossing to see if she was OK two bicyclists going the wrong way nearly knocked me down.

Leave a comment:

• magpie
    replied

The city should start writing tickets so that the bike riders who do not use these lanes, and fail to comply with traffic laws, get to pay for the lanes created for them.
    I agree with everything you said, but it's nearly impossible to give tickets to those speed maniacs you can't even catch! They're like a cloud of dust in the wind -- whoooooosh! What I would advocate is making them responsible same as cars and trucks, that is to say, make it imperative that they're licensed and insured.

Leave a comment:

• EchoSri
    replied

Given that far too many bike riders pay little to no attention to any traffic laws, ride on both sides of the streets, travel at alarming speeds with traffic and against traffic, ride on the sidewalks, posing a constant threat to any pedestrian not looking in ALL directions, ride in the lanes created for them and anywhere else they choose, I can only say, gee, ain't it grand that in addition to total access to the roads and sidewalks, in any and all directions they choose, the city has now spent millions of dollars to give them their own special lane. In my opinion, in a time of brutal fiscal austerity, with the city cutting back on funding for programs that benefit the elderly and needy, this appears to me to be a major waste of tax payer money. However, if it leads to banning private cars coming into the city --- and forces people to use IMPROVED public transportation, well then, I may change my mind on the usefulness of these bike lanes. The city should start writing tickets so that the bike riders who do not use these lanes, and fail to comply with traffic laws, get to pay for the lanes created for them.

Leave a comment:

• newsbuoy55
    replied

I gave up on cycling in the city many years ago after my third hit. Between the obvious risks, theft (see my thread elsewhere) and just too-damn-small apartment on the top of a walk-up, I'll walk thank you very much.

And yes, there are bike lanes but as mentioned there are some major idiots on bikes too. In fact there is one guy I now recognize from walking over to the river who commutes or something and is belligerent when someone gets in his way, period. I have an elbow with that guys name on it. I swear!

Question: Why are there no STOP signs on the bike path? Not One.

Leave a comment:

• momjo
    replied

I so agree Magpie. There were teens out there by whole foods with a petition to add more bike lanes last week and I toldthem no way was I goingto sign it. I have a bad habit of standing on the edge of the sidewalk- ok the gutter forgetting that bike lane is there and one f these days some bike rider is going to hit me if I am not careful.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X