Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DESPERATELY NEEDED: A 24-Hour Grocery Store!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DESPERATELY NEEDED: A 24-Hour Grocery Store!

Okay, in the wake of the D'Agostino closing on 23rd St., I'm starting to panic. Not that I ever went there much - it was twice as far away as our nearest grocery which is only 5 blocks away!! Okay, so if that wasn't bad enough - 5 blocks to the nearest store - now there's one less.

But suddenly today - I realized there aren't any 24-hour grocery stores anymore! Tonight (you can see I'm writing this blog entry at about 2:00 a.m.) I suddenly realized I had absolutely nothing to eat and I was starving. I just wanted a few things from a grocery store. Wasn't in the mood to order - and at this hour there's not that much to order from anyway.

For the life of me I couldn't think of any 24-hour grocery. Yes, there are the 24-hour delis on every corner, but their selection is pretty sparse when you get a 2 A.M. craving for things like chocolate brownie mix!

In desperation I got in the car and drove over to the east side where I used to know of a couple. They were both closed. I ended up going down to the west village to that 24 hour Associated on LaGuardia & Bleecker. They had everything I wanted - it was perfect. Except for the long walk back from the garage with arms full of groceries!

I have to say - half the reason I moved to New York was I thought it was such a convenient way to live - what with a grocery store on every other block - and a lot of them 24 hours - you'd never have to go far or wait long for basic supplies! Now, that really doesn't seem to exist here anymore! I hate to move back to the suburbs just for a 24-hour grocery - but it's getting pretty painful around here in that regard.

Are you guys with me - or am I just having a momentary panic attack!?

Re: DESPERATELY NEEDED: A 24-Hour Grocery Store!

What can I tell ya. I ordered a cheeseburger deluxe from Moonstruck Diner at about 11:30 PM, and was a happy girl. Good fries, too. I'm not too worried about grocery stores around here. Chelsea is gentrifying so fast that there's going to have to be quality stores to serve the people living here (not that I'm exactly a fan of gentrification, but that's another topic!).

I do feel sad about Dagostino's because I shopped there for so long, and knew a lot of the staff, especially the dairy guy, and the lady at the deli counter. Oh well, c'est la vie.... and there's always Fresh Direct!

Comment

I believe Gristedes on 9th and 24th is open 24 hours a day. It's an awful store but at least you can get food.

Pat

Comment

Sorry I was wrong. Gristedes is only open til 12 midnight. Pat

Comment

What about the Korean Deli on 29th St and 8th Avenue? You should find enough stuff there to cobble together a meal.

Comment

Yikes! I actually got excited about Gristede's being open all night! Darn... now I'm depressed again!

The deli on 29th & 8th is fine - as are the other 4 delis that are open 24 hours in a square block area. But you know what I wanted last night really badly? A box of brownie mix. And the delis just don't carry it. Sometimes you just need a grocery store.

Comment

I completely understand where you are coming from Jonathan. Not that I usually need to be shopping at 3am but it is nice to know you can. To be honest I am not an avid fan of Moonstruck (or any of the 24-hr coffee shops) and the korean-deli places scare me. The Gristede's mega mart on 26th street did try 24-hours when they first opened but it didn't last. I can only guess that it wasn't worth their while. It is odd how just accross the river in Jersey I can name several 24-hr supermarkets and yet none in Manhattan.

Comment

There's a 24/7 grocery at the N/E corner of 25th & 8th. I like their bagels.

Comment

Well, not real close, but closer than the West Village! Thanks for the info.

Comment

The Food Emporiums are open 24-hours a day (except Sat midnight-Sun 7am). Assming your're in the 30's, there's one at 43rd/10th Ave and one at 49th/8th Ave. The one at 49th is nice, the one at 43rd, not so nice.

http://www.thefoodemporium.com/our_locations.asp

Comment

Originally posted by NORTH STAR
                      There's a 24/7 grocery at the N/E corner of 25th & 8th. I like their bagels.
                      I must have A.D.D. I saw "24/7" in your post North Star and yesterday I went to 24th & 7th looking for this store you mentioned!! Couldn't find it for the life of me! Well, there was Whole Foods - but that's not exactly 24 hours.

Then I came back this morning and realized what you meant by 24/7! Geesh, how brain dead I feel!

Comment

Well, I did say at 25th & 8th. I'm wondering now, what you meant by A.D.D. So, I checked it out at:
                        HTML Code:
                        http://www.acronymfinder.com
                        From the long list of definitions that came up, this seems appropriate:
                        Attention Deficit Disorder

Comment

Originally posted by NORTH STAR
                          From the long list of definitions that came up, this seems appropriate:
                          Attention Deficit Disorder
                          Yep, you got it.

Comment

Yes, attention deficit disorder is what I meant. And yes, you did definitely say 25th & 8th - just 7 words after you said 24/7. But obviously my attention couldn't make it just 7 more words into your sentence! Hence, my self-diagnosis of having Attention Deficit Disorder. (I felt really stupid when I came back here and read what you had really said)!

Comment

Speaking of ever diminishing resources in the neighbourhood. It's getting harder to fill up on gas these days. Seems like there are fewer and fewer gas stations around as the lots get bought up and turned into condo's. Not sure I'd want to live in a building built where a gas station was sited. I don't care how far they dug down, it's gotta be unbelievably polluted. I'm all for a 24hr grocery store. In the meantime might I suggest a little planning in regards to your dry goods next time you have an attack of the munchies.

Comment

Working...
                              X