Highline Cafe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Highline Cafe

I noticed that Galaxy closed. Does anyone know when?

Comment

I'm not going to be helpful -- sorry -- but where was Galaxy? That rings a bell.

Comment

Re: Vanishing Galaxy

The galaxy closed about a week ago. One day we ordered burgers....the next day it was closed. No warning...no news.

This blog keeps up on a lot of vanishing nyc old timers.

http://vanishingnewyork.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks mm. It's too bad that they closed.

Comment

Galaxy / Car Service closings

Last week I saw them cleaning it out, and I hoped it was just for renovation, but now I see newspapers covering the windows - really sad - it's gonna be ghost town soon with tumbleweed.

On the same strip of the avenue, that car service place closed - which I don't miss at all - as the drivers would lingeer perched on the sidewalk smoking and loitering with their cars idling.

Comment

Originally posted by 10/11block View Post
              I'm not going to be helpful -- sorry -- but where was Galaxy? That rings a bell.
              Oh, 46th and 9th. Not exactly Chelsea, but still an old diner I guess.
              Thank you, Google!

Comment

If its the one I think it was not so old. It was voted best diner

Comment

No, that's not the one. This one was at 19th and Eighth.

Comment

originally I thought you meant that one but when spmeone mentioned 9th Avenue I thought of that other place. We had been to galaxy a few times. Food was ok

Comment

Since I have my work hours changed I have more time to have a nice breakfast so today I went over to highline cafe for the breakfast special. I decided to try the french toast on challah bread with the coffee and juice included in the package. It was a bit of a flurry outside this morning but inside was so warm and toasty. The place seemed pretty empty at around 7:30 am with just a few people eating in and some takeout orders for delivery. Thr french toast was ok but nothing great. For some reason when I questioned the waitress if that was really challah bread as it was not so thick as I would have liked it she said they flatten it down.
                      Thr portion was fine and a little pricy at 6 dollars for breakfast but thats just me. No refill was offfered for coffee but I could have asked. There was a regular in there having pancakes snd she said she eats here often and likes it. I think its great for the postal workers. For me it does not seem so different than any place else. I should have tried homefries then I can make more of a comment because I judge a place by their homefries- one of my favrite diner items.

Comment

Another diner has perished. The Comfort Diner on 23rd Street is no more.

http://eater.com/archives/2009/03/th...on_23rd_st.php

Comment

the comfort diner on 23rd st. was not their only location and in fact
                          I think their second location. I tried it once at the other location and found it not to bee so great- overated- a little expensive back then

Comment

Hi! I like the highline cafe! They make really good chicken soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. Yeah, it always seems empty there which is odd since it's not a scary looking place (ie Dinersty on 8th ave!), food is decent, and it's by that big FIT dorm.

I did have delivery a couple of times and the fries were waaay greasy. But I guess you don't order fries to lose weight!

Comment

Working...
                            X