Highline Cafe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highline Cafe

we have a great new diner in the neighborhood: Highline Cafe on 9th Avenue between 30th and 31st. the food is reasonably priced and very tasty. problem is, it's not getting a lot of business, and i worry that it'll go the way of local places of the past (anyone remember the bendix?). so please, if you're
    in the mood for comfort food, stop by or order in. i've never had a bad meal there yet.

Re: Highline Cafe

I have not trid it but I thought the prices seemed high to me when I looked at the takeout menu. It is a little out of the way on 9th and not near other restaurants. What have you tried?

Comment

Sounds good! I'll have to check it out one of these days.

Comment

Ahhh ... Bendix "Get Fat" - we miss you!

I'll have to check out this new place now.

Thanks!

Comment

"Ahhh ... Bendix "Get Fat" - we miss you!"

It's nice to see we have some long-time Chelsea residents on this site. Bendix was awesome.

Comment

I also mix Bendix diner. We used to go to Bendix diner quite a bit and we were hoping they were goingto move somewhere else in Chelsea. That diner had opened in the east village but I think thats gone too. I was disapointed that a nail salon took their place but this is change of the times I guess

Comment

I have been there many times and have had excellent food and good service. The 'High Line' is owned by the restaurant 'Bus Stop Cafe' on 9th near Hudson. I find the breakfast/brunch deal good with large glasses of fresh OJ and great pancakes, the oatmeal is also very good. I had a Thanksgiving dinner there as well last November with about 14 friends (orphaned from our families for the holiday) and it was very good. They need the business so I hope it is able to stay open. Try it out, but don't sit in the front section on a cold day, take a booth in the back.

Comment

If I remember correctly the "Bus Stop Cafe" was originally located on Horatio between W 4th & 8th Ave (By the gas station.) I think it was called "Benny's"

They then moved a few blocks away to Hudson & Bethune & became the "Bus Stop Cafe".

I remember it because I used to walk by on my way to work, back in the 80's & they would serve real ham when I ordered Ham & eggs. Thick sliced & cut from the bone.

Only way to get that around here now is to go to the Garden of Eden & bring it home to cook it for myself. Which is exactly what I will do this week end.

I'm so glad I thought of it.

CD
                Need computer assistance?
                See my Classified/Computer maintenance listing or send me a private message.

Comment

Hi Seedy and all!
                  I ordered an egg-white omelette with brocolli and cheddar cheese for breakfast this morning, along with home fries and coffee from the Highline Cafe. It was all delicious, great phone service, delivered promptly, etc. I ain't never going back to those 23rd St. diners!

Thanks for the info, everybody!

Comment

Well I'm a Chelsea square fan; so I'm wondering about the prices at this new place, because I just like diners!
                    K.

Comment

when looking at the menu I thought it was more expensive. Chelsea Square has been sited by the health dept. but not lately that I know of and so has moonstruck.

Comment

Glad I found this thread. I'm going to try the Highline out now.

Comment

We need something like this now that the Galaxy has closed. There's only one greasy spoon left on 8th between 14th and 23rd, and only two on 9th, both at 23rd. So I'll be trying the Highline soon. I hope they have brunch cocktails!

Comment

Malibu on 23rd and 6th Avenue is a good diner also. Wait staff can be good sometimes and bad other times but the food continues to be quite good. Their tiramazu is outrageous and portions big although the prices have gone up as of late like everywhere else. I did pass by highline this morning and noticed the sign outside for breakfast specials takeout only prices so I may try it also next time I have a day off from work. I was in the mood for dunkin donuts new waffle sandwich. It was mighty small but good with just enough bacon for my high blood pressure LOL

Comment

Malibu is way too expensive for me, and so is Moonstruck, although I find the quality of its food and service to be higher than that of a typical greasy spoon.

I went to try Highline today. Thumbs up. Prices aren't outrageous ($13 brunch includes meal, cocktail, coffee), and the wait staff was really attentive and friendly. She even brought me a sample of the pistachio cake without my having even asked or known about it before. It was still warm from the oven, and very delicious. This place is a certainly a cut above diners, and much nicer than that other diner that was right on this block about 10 years ago. Diners have evolved well, apparently, and I think this is the kind of place we want to have in our neighborhood, so I'll support it whenever I can.

Meanwhile, the Cheyenne is now gated off and has signs from a wrecking company on it. I guess the plans to move it to Alabama fell though?

Comment

Working...
                              X