vacant lot on 8th and 31st across from PO

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vacant lot on 8th and 31st across from PO

The scaffolding and signage on this vacant lot (formerly a parking garage) about a new building have been taken down and it doesn't look as though any work is going on there. Does anyone know what is happening now?

Re: vacant lot on 8th and 31st across from PO

See the old post about this. Going to be a semi-huge condo with an H&M in it.

Comment

Thanks for the response. I asked the question because there had been scaffolding around the lot until about three weeks ago when it all came down. I wondered if the powers that be had changed their minds about the project.

Comment

This neighborhood is sure changing- where will all those homeless people living on the streets go? If you haven't noticed it is getting really bad lately around here. These people are making under scaffolding their homes. There must be a better place for them to live. I guess they feel unsafe in the shelters.

Comment

I don't think those people will go away. Two major reasons they choose to hang around there are the soup kitchen (one of the city's largest, if not the largest) in the church on 9th and 29th and the fact that several government services, including for AIDS, are located in a building at 8th and 30th. That makes both 29th and 30th Streets between 8th and 9th important avenues since they connect those two hubs. Plus, there's a major transit station nearby--always a magnet, in every city. As long as there are services that care for people at the fringes of society (and I hope there always are), then those people are going to be around. If we can clean up the truly deplorable facilities (the crack den of the Valiant Hotel comes to mind--it was swept a few years ago), then we'll be better off.

Comment

Well my building gets a lot of traffic from the soup kitchen which is on 9th Avenue betw 27th and 28th Street. Always around 11am they are walking to my building corner and later on they walk with their cups in hand and sometimes they leave them on our fence. The valiant hotel is another issue. There used to be a guy that would hang out at our side entrance who was really strange crossdresser who would leave hit cigarette butts all over the place. I used to see him go into that hotel. There was also another guy from there that was always high on something that alays acted crazy and I used to see him often in the neighborhood. There are certainly regulars I see lately. There is one guy who is making his home on 24th Street near 8th Avenue. Years ago they did a story on a big fat guy names Bruce. Bruce used to be hanging around here but now I saw him near manhattan plaza last month still homeless after all these years.

Comment

I don't get the sense that the homeless people cause many problems, by the way. In fact, when I lived there on 29th Street, they would respectfully go through our garbage to collect our old cans and bottles for recycling and they rarely left so much as a scrap of paper out of place. They were just living their lives the best they could. It's the drugs, and the desperation that addiction foments, that generally cause crime. I could do without the druggie sleaze, although I have only rarely felt truly threatened in that neighborhood (that was once a few years ago when a dealer of some kind saw me taking photos of buildings and he thought I was aiming my camera at him).

Comment

I had heard that a hotel/commercial complex was to be built here but now it seems to have turned into a parking lot, complete with sign "Parking: entrance on 31st Street."

Comment

Ok, well. Here's the deal. (Funny because I meant to post this last week). The TCI school that's there next to the lot "buckled" and sold it's place to the people who originlly were going to build on that parking lot. So, the scaffold came down and when the end date for the TCI building comes, the scaffold will go back up. And undoubtedly the TCI place will get demo'd.
                  But get this.
                  Now that the building will have a lot almost 3x as wide as the orginal plan, they are possibly eligible to build 2 or 3 times as high, which could mean 25 stories or more.
                  In reality, I don't think it will end up being that big, but across from Penn, with west-looking views of the river, some nasty glass behemoth will surely land there. And W. 30th will then be fully encased in shadow. Ugh.
                  Has anyone seen the thing on 30th and 11th? That's the route those people will surely take.
                  A bigger fish to fry in some respects in our 'hood... is that Vornado signed a no-petition thing re: The Penn Hotel (aka Pensylvania 6500) so no one can try to have it landmarked I think, since they want to demo it to put up a new office building. Which ironically was to be for Merrill Lynch, the fallen apart ML...so they wanted to demo the Penn, but hey, funny thing, who got plowed first?
                  And now 1 Penn Plaza where the Kmart is, is all scaffolded.
                  Anyway.

Comment

in the current economic climate i would not doubt that they lost the financing for the whole caboodle and this could be delayed for awhile.
                    one small thing to thank the loose cannons on wall st for.

PS
                    That corner has been a parking lot for years.

Comment

Working...
                    X