X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B.C.
    started a topic pet peeve

pet peeve

i adore dogs; i hate owners who don't pick up after them.

this morning i watched a neighbor on 29th street not even bother; she was too busy chatting on her cell phone to make an effort. the last time i reprimanded
    someone for not picking up her dog's ****, she took my head off, which is probably why i didn't take action today.

this neighbor has lived on our street for maybe 6 months or so. i've been
    here almost 19 years, long enough to remember when it was dark and dirty.
    it is this kind of careless person that almost makes me wish for the bad old days.

• catalyst
    replied
    Re: pet peeve

This may not be the totally appropriate thread for this, but has anyone notice the resurgence of of quality of life crimes in NYC? Dirty streets are really on the beginning. I've noticed more graffiti, more aggressive panhandling, more open containers, etc. The City needs to go back to the "broken windows" theory of policing.

Any thoughts?

Leave a comment:

• JimR
    replied

What drives me nuts, is that I have to use a wheelchair to get around and look like a crazy driver since I have to dodge all the crap to avoid tracking into my home. The best (worst) are the one who don't clean up after their dogs when they go on the ramp to me building.

Leave a comment:

• B.C.
    replied

UPDATE:

the woman i wrote about has been evicted from her apartment!!

it seems that she let her dog poop and piss on the stairs and in the
    hallways and got angry when asked to clean it up, going so far as to
    deny that it was her dog that made the mess. (no one else owns a
    pet in the building as the previous managing agent didn't allow it.)

all i can say is good riddance to a bad neighbor!

Leave a comment:

• iLLclickmyblock
    replied

I agree that dog owners should clean appropriately after their dogs. I've trained my dog pretty well to do her business on the street where/when it is safe for her. It makes cleanup simple and off the sidewalk. (I hate being in the way when she's doing her thing and cleaning it up.) Like many others, I don't fancy stepping in dog messes. It sad that there are so many that give us loving dog owners a bad reputation.

Leave a comment:

• chelseachick69
    replied

I understand that not everyone is comfortable with "saying something (when) seeing something," but if I understand Jonathon correctly, you actually believe in the sensibilities and afterthought of those IRRESPONSIBLE dog owners who without consideration for those poor people who might not see the "mess" as they're walking down the street, and step in it leaving a stinky, nasty mess on their shoes to deal with, are going to actually reconsider their overt laziness and pick up after their pets?!

Are you joking? The pet owners who don't pick up after their pets, not only don't care if "we" step in the nastiness they leave behind, (no pun intended of course,) nor do they have much respect or caring for their 4 legged family members.

To me, it's shear laziness to leave "it" behind and not dispose of it properly. Oh, and it's a City law besides.

We as residents of the neighborhood, have the right, the obligation and the option of pointing it out to pet owners who are negligent in their responsibility to clean up after their dogs.

If you choose not to, be it because you're non-confrontational or just afraid to say something which again, is your right, then don't expect the point to be driven home.

I know from often times walking down 24th Street between 9th & 10th for various reasons, notice the pervasive nastiness on the sidewalk and it disgusts me.

I have no problem saying something (my choice.) I do have a problem with people who see me see them leave the nastiness on the street, and look at me when I cut a look at them like "What?!" It's pathetic and pitiful.

Believe me, if they fell victim to the nastiness on their shoes, you can almost place bets on whether (they) would say something.

That is my pet peeve.

Leave a comment:

• Quincelady
    replied

I am new to this site and I am new to Chelsa. Hello Everyone, blessings. I have noticed there is a lot of garbage, spit, etc. in addition to dog droppings. The dogs can't pick up after themelves...lol. A pig by any other neighbor is still a pig.

Leave a comment:

• Vidis
    replied

I stepped in some doo a few weeks ago with my brand new white sneakers. Good luck my foot!

Those signs don't exist anymore?
    http://images.jupiterimages.com/comm...7/23188713.jpg
    They're almost as effective as the "Don't Honk" signs

I have no problem telling an owner off, even if they leave just remnants behind.
    They should put the bag/paper under the dog's butt as soon as they see it's ready to go, so they catch it all.

It always amazes me that we tolerate dogs crapping on the pavement, but if it's a hurry call and urgent for a human, we don't accept them covering up and hiding in the corner for quick relief.

Leave a comment:

• Phylicita
    replied

You're welcome, B.C. And I totally agree re: neighborhood pride.
    I'll also keep an eye out for a 20-ish young woman with a black poodle.

Leave a comment:

• B.C.
    replied

i with phylicita. next time i see something, i WILL say something. if the dog owner
    is on his/her cell phone, all the better. let the person at the other end of the line
    hear what a selfish **** the dog owner is.

for me, it's an issue of pride in my neighborhood; if you crap it up, it is now
    my problem, and i have every right to reprimand you. on what grounds does
    an irresponsible dog owner have to justify this behavior?

for the record, the person who set off this thread is a 20-ish woman who has a
    small black poodle. keep an eye for her. if you see her in (in)action, let her know it.

thanks everyone for your support.

Leave a comment:

• W16thDenizen
    replied

Joy Behar is right. My block on 16th has gotten really, really bad the past few months. I slid at the corner of 7th & 21st the other day, too. Yuck.

Leave a comment:

• psammead
    replied

You're not the only ones to notice this rising trend. Joy Behar on the The View has been going on and on about how owners are leaving their dog poop everywhere again. It really is like the '70s are back. (I remember slippin' and slidin' quite a bit as a child.)

Not... um... that I, uh, ever watch The View.

Leave a comment:

• Phylicita
    replied

There is currently scaffolding surrounding London Terrace. I live on the 24th Street side, and I saw a woman cross the street with her dog and deliberately walk under the scaffolding in front of my entrance (460) and encourage the dog to pee there. Since then, other dog owners have done the same. I guess these pet owners think that the scaffolding creates a little outhouse for them to use: since it's covered, it's hard for others to see what's going on unless they actually walk in there. That first time I had just stepped out of my building doorway and was shocked speechless to see that this woman's actions were deliberate, so I just glared at her in disbelief. In return, she shot me a defiant "Wanna make something of it?" look. So instead of confronting her I just sidestepped the pee puddle and went on my way. I did e-mail the London Terrace office, though, and someone was sent to clean it up. Next time I see something like this, I will say something. Hopefully the pet owner won't pull a knife on me.
    Last edited by Phylicita; 06-26-2008, 09:18 AM. Reason: typo

Leave a comment:

• Jonathan
    replied

B.C. cute headline by the way "pet peeve"! I just noticed that.

Leave a comment:

• Jonathan
    replied

Originally posted by phtp2 View Post
    Jonathan- Be careful! Menacing looks in NYC can bring all kinds of reactions, some of them not so good, if you get my drift! I think it's better to deal with this kind of thing through a block association, or something like that.
    Yep, true. But I've never had a problem. I think when you're a guy and you're tall, people are somewhat intimidated when you look "menacing". I never do it to anyone who's a lot bigger than me! Oh, then again actually I might.

As far as those signs Alexis, when my dog was alive, every now and then I'd be really tempted not to pick it up - when I was very tired and it was 3 in the morning. I always did, but I always wondered if I didn't, how could they ever prove it belonged to my dog or that it was me who didn't pick it up?

The weird thing to me about the people who don't pick it up, is for me even at 3:00 in the morning when no one was around it was just too gross to leave on the street. So I'd always pick it up whether I felt like it or not.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X