Construction near 357 West 30th?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AEG
    started a topic Construction near 357 West 30th?

Construction near 357 West 30th?

Anyone know what construction is ocurring in the two buildings near 357? New rentals? Low income housing?

AEG

• AEG
    replied
    Re: Construction near 357 West 30th?

Originally posted by circusgirl
    home2.nyc.gov/html/hpd/downloads/pdf/pn-sh533.pdf - 2004-03-23
    Nice find.

Anyone know where the city announces these hearings?

Leave a comment:

• circusgirl
    replied

HI,

I just looked up the website that the building has on its scaffolding... nyv.gov/hpd. I typed the address (355 W. 30th) into their search engine and found this info in pdf form....basically that it's housing for the homeless and low income. There was a public meeting about the whole thing in April 2004. Who knew? I never saw anything posted in the neighborhood about it back then. Anyway, thought I'd pass it along.

home2.nyc.gov/html/hpd/downloads/pdf/pn-sh533.pdf - 2004-03-23

Leave a comment:

• Jonathan
    replied

Yes that is very good news. I really hope it works out that way.

Leave a comment:

• AEG
    replied

Originally posted by Jay
    help good honest people who are in a dire situation.
    If that's truly what it is, I fully support it and withdraw my NIMBY thoughts.

Leave a comment:

• Jay
    replied

One of my roommates was talking to the lady who lives in 351 -- the building next to the new construction -- and apparently they are being developed into city owned second chance housing for the homeless. The program has, apparently, been met with success. Supposedly the screening process is pretty tough (no drugs, etc.) -- it's designed to be an outreach sort of thing for people and families who have legitimately fallen on hard times and need help.

The lady at 351 seemed to be familiar with the program and seems pretty positive about it, or, at least, she doesn't seem too concerned about her new neighbors. I find some comfort in that. We'll have to wait and see, I guess, how it pans out. I hope it does what it is truly designed to do and can help good honest people who are in a dire situation.

Leave a comment:

• Jonathan
    replied

Hey Bellagio - so what's HPD?

Leave a comment:

• Bellagio
    replied

Originally posted by AEG
    Anyone know what construction is ocurring in the two buildings near 357? New rentals? Low income housing?

AEG
    I know it was owned by the HPD before it got sold
    I think at auction.
    That's the info. I had last year around March.

Bellagio

Leave a comment:

• JonD
    replied

Uggghhh... not another homeless shelter/drug rehab place

Leave a comment:

• Jonathan
    replied

That's a really good suggestion AEG. I like that one. Well, we'll all keep an eye on it and if it gets out of hand - we'll know where to come... here. And we'll take it from there. Or "here" I should say.

Leave a comment:

• AEG
    replied

Oh, maybe NY1 (ny1.com) could do a feature on housing gone wrong, if it does come to that. Embarrassment can be a powerful tool to keep a government in line.

Leave a comment:

• Jonathan
    replied

Oh no! You're kidding! Geesh! Well, I better double up on those earplugs.

But on a more serious note - if they get out of hand - like the people at the Crack House - is there really anything we can do? I'm starting to see a group of us actually showing up eventually at the Lifestyle Committee of the Community Board!

Leave a comment:

• AEG
    replied

Passed by there today and saw a sign on the sidewalk shed indicating it was government housing.

And I don't mean folks from the government are moving in.

Leave a comment:

• Jonathan
    replied

That's pretty funny! He had no idea you were sizing him up and basically "interviewing" him for position of landlord before answering his question! I hope you "couldn't remember" your landlord's number. Of course who does remember their landlord's number?

If he's slimey you did a good thing! But if he's slimey that might mean nothing good is going to come out of the supposed renovation he's doing of that building.

Leave a comment:

• Jay
    replied

I dunno, his name was Benny I think and kept asking me for my landlord's number so he could make her an offer on my building. Kept asking if she was "lookin' to sell". I don't think I'd want Benny as a landlord, just a gut feeling I guess

Leave a comment:

Working...
X