Victory Diner -- 30th And 9th

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victory Diner -- 30th And 9th

Passed by the Victory Diner tonight (closed). They are really doing serious renovations. They have stripped everything down to the 1930s-era brick.

Re: Victory Diner -- 30th And 9th

I wonder if it's going to re-open as a diner?

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
      I wonder if it's going to re-open as a diner?
      There was a sign in the window (not sure if there is even a window there now) that had said they were "closed for renovations" and that they were going to reopen -- so I am assuming they will be a diner again.

Comment

Update -- sign in the window says they will be reopening the diner in March 2008.

Comment

That didn't happen.
          I kinda liked that place, at
          least it was the only place
          in the 'hood you could go
          for a sit-down meal.
          There seemed to be some
          activity there for a few weeks,
          now it's quiet again.
          Bellgaio
          Jo Sea Enterprises
          www.joseavideo.blogspot.com

Comment

Activity Again

The shed in front of the diner is gone and there's been workmen in there for at least a week or two.

Comment

I talked to one of the workers a few days ago, and he said it
              would reopen in a month.
              Bellgaio
              Jo Sea Enterprises

Comment

Originally posted by Bellagio View Post
                That didn't happen.
                I kinda liked that place, at
                least it was the only place
                in the 'hood you could go
                for a sit-down meal.
                There seemed to be some
                activity there for a few weeks,
                now it's quiet again.
                What about Chelsea Square Diner on the corner of 9th Ave. & 23rd Street (SE corner) which is very popular or Moonstruck across the street on 9th & 23rd St. (SW corner)?

Comment

Also another good one is malibu on 23rd and 6th Avenue

Comment

I don't actually view those as "in the 'hood".
                    One I love is Skyline Diner on 34th & 9th.
                    Bellgaio
                    Jo Sea Enterprises

Comment

if u love it so much get the name right-- Skylight-- Used to go there when they first opened. Food and service was really good then. Sometimes service is spotty there-- get the church crowd on Sundays- and the tourists have discovered it also so it can get crowded there-- used to be empty in its early days-- has an area in the back for larger crowds

Comment

It seems that the place received major improvements but I'm sure the quality, the nice Greek hosts, and the extremely low prices will not return.

Our neighborhood is changing.

On the other hand, now we have one this country's best fish restaurants around the corner. UNCLE NICK'S opened its doors a few weeks ago, and it is as fantastic as the original place on 50th street and 9th Avenue. Try their chicken soup and their grilled flounder, the whole fish, is something unbelievable. Then we also have NINE on Seventh Avenue and 30 St, and the city's best steak house Uncle Jack on West 35 and 9th Avenue.

Comment

there doesn't appear to be a menu listing for Nine restaurant online. Is that the correct name?

Comment

Niles Restaurant -- http://www.nilesnyc.com/press.htm

Concept: Think trendy, sophisticated and high-profile and thoughts turn to the new Niles Restaurant, located on the ground level of The Southgate Tower Hotel, an Affinia Hospitality property, on Seventh Avenue in New York City. Strategically positioned diagonally across the street from Madison Square Garden, the task facing owner Connie O?Reilly was to transform an older food and beverage location into an exciting and innovative dining and social setting. The restaurant, as well as the adjacent three-star, 528-suite property needed to be more than able to hold its own in terms of attracting celebrities, corporate executives, native New Yorkers and first-time visitors to The Big Apple. - Michael Billig

Execution: Under the direction of Warwick, RI-based design company DiLeonardo International, the restaurant underwent a four-month, $2 million transformation in mid-2003, resulting in the total closing of the facility for just a brief five-week period. Re-opened in September of last year, the new Niles Restaurant is veritable medley of brightly lit glass and metal, making for a lively setting to its 5,000 square feet of floor space accented by nearly three-dozen comfortably positioned tables. Moreover, clean iridescent finishes accentuate the oversized bar, anchored by a lit glass decorative column greeting visitors upon their entrance. The bold use of metal ? and other reflective surfaces- exponentially adds to the visual perimeter of space surrounding the bar area. Additionally, the accompanying light display serves to continually change the facility?s ambiance and environment.

Result: The restaurant is a perfect backdrop for young shakers-and-movers to enjoy a meal or a snack anytime of the day, against a background of playful artwork as reflected by comical renditions of city events. The Niles has similarly evolved into a noteworthy social and cocktail setting, ratcheting up a few notches among many of Manhattan?s ?glitterati.? A palette of primary colors set against a white backdrop allows this prime midtown location to function equally well either as a place to get an early-morning start or to cap off a late evening. But the real proof to owner O?Reilly of how well the new Niles Restaurant works is that the facility has posted a ?significant increase in business? since its re-birth.

Comment

thx -- you had previously called the restaurant NINE -- and that's why I couldn't find it.

Comment

Working...
                              X