Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing TV and Phone with Internet Services

Dear Penn South Cooperators,

On Monday, February 29th at 7pm in Building 2B Community Room I will be delivering a presentation showing how cooperators can save money by replacing their phone and television services with free or low cost internet based services such as Google Voice, Hulu, Apple TV, and Netflix. I would be delighted if you would attend.

Best,
    Brian Hammerstein.

Re: Replacing TV and Phone with Internet Services

Many of the options listed will cost money anyway. How much can you really save from the $33 dollars I pay for cable which includes the equipment for 2 TVs and many movie channels.

Comment

He's is trying to provide a service. What's with the cynical comment?

Comment

I'm not trying to be cynical at all, just asking a simple question since I probably cannot make this meeting. Sorry if you saw it any other way.

Comment

I don't live in Penn south. With this be good information for me; and is it also only being offered to Penn south habitants? Thank you.

Comment

You can replace the $5+$15 in taxes = $20/month you pay for the RCN telephone service add-on with free Google Voice and a one-time purchase of a $70 box + $1/month for emergency 911 if you want it. That's a savings of $158 the first year and $228 every additional year.

Google Voice + the OBI202 (from Amazon) provides many helpful features at no additional cost, including forwarding to one or more phones simultaneously, separate messages for different callers, and very effective spam filtering. No more marketing calls interrupting dinner! Everything is controllable from a Google web interface.

We had about 30 cooperators show up for the meeting. We might do it again during the Summer.

Comment

I have an OBI box and it works 60% of the time. For some reason on local calls, it can be bad.

Comment

Here are two possible causes of the problem you can fix:
                1. If you are using a wireless connection, connect it to your router with a wire instead.
                2. If you are using an OBI100 or OBI200, switch to a OBI202 which will prioritize phone traffic over everything else. You connect it between your router and your computer or between your router and a wireless access point.

Email me from the web page at http://psbrian.com if you want more help.

Comment

It is connected to my router with a wire.
                  Good suggestion about the OB 202 I don't think I can do a trade-in though.

Comment

Sell your existing obi on ebay.

Comment

Working...
                    X