penn south

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• penn south

ok the votes are in and i think the results are quite good- mostly all ofthe candidates I voted for got in- only one person switch but thats ok i guess- good luck to all the new people on the board-sure glad you all stepped up this time-needed strong young blood to carry on- congrats to our new board members,sasha, lloyd and Rocco

Re: penn south

I agree with you, Momjo. I think the new Board members will add a lot, and they all seem to project the feeling that they will be more approachable and want to hear from cooperators. Lots of luck to all who won. Those who didn't win should also be congratulated for all their hard work and dedication.

Comment

I'm very happy that Feist & Rocco & Sasha are in. Yes, we need new and independent people to remember that the Board is supposed to be running this show. And that shareholders are the owners of Penn South, and not just here to "cooperate". I hope these three and the other strong voices for democratic representation on the Board, finally can prevail. They have my support, and now the support of the majority of the voters, yea!

Comment

yes transformer I am glad these hard working cooperators finally decided it was time to run. I do not know what took them so long or maybe they were so comfortable on co -op council they didnt want to leave- I do think its important to be active in the co-op before running for the board and boy oh boy LLoyd and Sasha have years of experience and Rocco just one but that certainly helped him to win this time around- I think on the other hand Kim has the experience needed to be on a board of directors but to me she needed to be active here first in some way- people may need to know her- she is still fairly new here. I understand Brian did some wonderful work on the board and I hope in some way his ideas will still be used to save us money

Comment

Years of experience here could be very good or very bad. Hammerstein got what he deserved. If you attended any of the candidate meetings, he essentially said it didn't matter that all that money was embezzled, as long as we got it back. Ha, I think not, as in how could have gone on so long and not have been noticed? And then he skimmed along on HVAC. Shareholders got his number, instead of answering he spins it, or throws it back, never giving a straight answer. Keep him in the laundry room!

As for the others with experience, Lloyd didn't have much to say at all, and in never volunteering and saying as little as possible......I'd keep an eye out there............and I don't exactly think the Co-Op Council is getting a lot of input from shareholders. Why didn't he encourage that?

As for the rest, I think Kim would have been just fine. All Boards face the same or similar issues and I think she is smart enough to handle the ones that are particular to us. I think it was name recognition that held her back and too bad, she has a lot to contribute and I hope she runs again next year.

My congratulations to the new people serving on the Board, fresh blood to keep Penn South honest.

Comment

well although Kim may have experience it wasnt in our co-op and people don;t know her.Best to run after volunteering here. It doesnt matter how much experience she has with other boards .she seems like a nice lady but that doesnt make you on the board. She also isnt in the co-op too long.Rocco ran last time and lost but this time he got more votes then some of the others you would expect to do better

Comment

Dear Transformer,

Thank you for expressing your opinions. More cooperators should feel comfortable doing so. Let me address your concerns.

Of course it matters that money was embezzled. We fired the gentleman involved, his manager resigned, and we got the money back as well as our legal fees. Additionally I personally spent several hours in meetings reviewing a new payroll service provider with enhanced security controls that will prevent any repetition of similar embezzlement.

Regarding HVAC, no one on the Board spent more time addressing this problem than did I. I spent several days traveling all over the New York area with Management, Walter Mankoff, and Morris Benjamin to visit and evaluate every major Mechanical Electrical Plumbing (MEP) contractor when we sought to replace our original vendor. I alone among all Board members travelled down to the Trane factory in Georgia to share my combination of software experience and Penn South familiarity to help set their engineers straight about our unique environment. In the final moments approving the revisions I caught a specification area that would have worn out hydrostatic valves prematurely from use of an excessively narrow deadband.

We borrowed more money to afford the quality of contractor our consultant should have recommended in the first place. We are suing the consultant, our consulting engineer, and the original contractor. The new Board members seem to be excellent individuals who will help drive this matter to a satisfactory conclusion.

Thank you for your recognition of Kim Oliver's potential. I advised her to run for the Coop Council to gain more Penn South experience.

Anyone who had questions or concerns about my 9 years on the Board or any other aspect of Penn South life may continue to contact me via email and phone listed at http://psbrian.com.

Sincerely,
              Brian Hammerstein

Originally posted by Transformer View Post
              Years of experience here could be very good or very bad. Hammerstein got what he deserved. If you attended any of the candidate meetings, he essentially said it didn't matter that all that money was embezzled, as long as we got it back. Ha, I think not, as in how could have gone on so long and not have been noticed? And then he skimmed along on HVAC. Shareholders got his number, instead of answering he spins it, or throws it back, never giving a straight answer. Keep him in the laundry room!

As for the others with experience, Lloyd didn't have much to say at all, and in never volunteering and saying as little as possible......I'd keep an eye out there............and I don't exactly think the Co-Op Council is getting a lot of input from shareholders. Why didn't he encourage that?

As for the rest, I think Kim would have been just fine. All Boards face the same or similar issues and I think she is smart enough to handle the ones that are particular to us. I think it was name recognition that held her back and too bad, she has a lot to contribute and I hope she runs again next year.

My congratulations to the new people serving on the Board, fresh blood to keep Penn South honest.

Comment

I, for one, would like to commend Brian Hammerstein for adding his comments here. Whether there was approval or disapproval of some of his actions, I think it took courage for him to address his actions here. I wish some of the other Board members or Council members, etc. would read this bulletin board and address some of the concerns cooperators post on here. This is such a wonderful place to air some of the things that can't be discussed as freely elsewhere.

Comment

I am new here and just saw the youtube video on all the candidates. I like Kim. I will vote for her next year if she runs for the board again.

Comment

How do I submitted a complaint to remove the ginkgo tree in the middle of 25th street between 8th and 9th ave. During the ginkgo season the tree smells horrible.

Comment

[QUOTE=...
                      Regarding HVAC, no one on the Board spent more time addressing this problem than did I. I spent several days traveling all over the New York area with Management, Walter Mankoff, and Morris Benjamin to visit and evaluate every major Mechanical Electrical Plumbing (MEP) contractor when we sought to replace our original vendor. I alone among all Board members travelled down to the Trane factory in Georgia to share my combination of software experience and Penn South familiarity to help set their engineers straight about our unique environment. In the final moments approving the revisions I caught a specification area that would have worn out hydrostatic valves prematurely from use of an excessively narrow deadband.

We borrowed more money to afford the quality of contractor our consultant should have recommended in the first place. We are suing the consultant, our consulting engineer, and the original contractor. The new Board members seem to be excellent individuals who will help drive this matter to a satisfactory conclusion.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps the HVAC overrun is the result of having virtually no person on the PS Board or senior PS management with a construction or civil engineering background.
                      -- It is a myth that performance of major remedial work while the tenants still occupy the premises is a rarity in NYC...the majority of tenants in most buildings in NYC cannot just simply move to a hotel or stay with family when major remedial work over several months is being performed on their residence.
                      -- Also, a $40 Mil overrun on a $100 Mil project suggests mismanagement, as many a professional property manager will report that a 10% or 15% overrun is possible due to unforeseen circumstances...but a 40% overrun is way out of the ballpark of prudent management and prudent Board oversight.
                      ===============

Comment

ALL 311 AND FILE A COMPLAINT. IT'S NOT A pENN sOUTH TREE SO THE CITY WOULD NEED TO REMOVE IT IF THEY SEE IT AS A PROBLEM.

Comment

WHAT A HELPFUL SUGGESTION!

Comment

Working...
                          X