X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jean1
    started a topic On Wait List

On Wait List

I recently received an application for an apartment off of the most recent lottery. I am so excited. I do have a few questions. As a parent, I see that some buildings zone for PS11 and some for PS33. I'm not sure if I'm even able to request specific buildings (I know this will only increase my wait time), but could someone tell me the exact buildings that are zoned for PS11? Thank you very much!

• KellyDNYC
    replied
    Re: On Wait List

Originally posted by CatNYC View Post
    If my experience is any indication, you wont have long to wait! I got the app, completed and returned in in late September. Received a letter from MRH last week to come look at 12 apts in various Penn South Bldgs. There are just eight people ahead of me, so I was told I *will* be able to get in on this round since the number of apts avail exceeds how many are ahead of me! I was in shock! I applied for a 1 bdrm with or without a terrace. It also looks like I was the 20th person picked in the 1 bdrm postcards, so I was pretty high on the list in terms of order picked, so that helped too. I can't wait!
    This gives me hope...thanks so much for sharing! My postcard was drawn in the 1BR lottery and I got a number in the low 50's. I'm thinking I should be called within a year, or sooner based on your number! I selected "balcony only" apartments on my application. I'm sure that will make my wait a bit longer, but worth it to me! I'm very anxiously awaiting a phone call from Penn South! My info does not yet show up on the online waiting list, but I figure it will take them a few months to get everyone entered on there.

How were the apartments? You get to look yet? Any idea how soon you'll get to move in?

Leave a comment:

• mollybloom
    replied

CatNYC, that's amazing!!! I would be in shock too. They have cashed our check, but when I log in on the site, it still says "not found" on the waiting list. Do you have a waiting list number when you log in on the site?

Leave a comment:

• kafkaesque
    replied

Originally posted by CatNYC View Post
    If my experience is any indication, you wont have long to wait!
    wow, they sure do it different now! I waited 12 years before I got called to see an apartment. Then I didn't get called for one whole year after that. I think I saw three or four apartments in total, one at a time, said yes to all of them, finally got that last one.

Perhaps they're more respective of the people moving in nowadays, they're paying more.

Leave a comment:

• momjo526
    replied

good luck CAT- must be a lucky person- keep in mind penn south isnt perfect but you will find plenty of friendly faces here- it is a real community and you can love the fact lots of friendly people here. everything from wood shop to pottery classes and exercise room

Leave a comment:

• CatNYC
    replied

If my experience is any indication, you wont have long to wait! I got the app, completed and returned in in late September. Received a letter from MRH last week to come look at 12 apts in various Penn South Bldgs. There are just eight people ahead of me, so I was told I *will* be able to get in on this round since the number of apts avail exceeds how many are ahead of me! I was in shock! I applied for a 1 bdrm with or without a terrace. It also looks like I was the 20th person picked in the 1 bdrm postcards, so I was pretty high on the list in terms of order picked, so that helped too. I can't wait!

Leave a comment:

• momjo526
    replied

good luck on your wait- by the time you get your apt, you may be surprised to see your kids grown and in college by then, we were on that list but we originally were on one bedroom list since we were recently engaged but never changed it over to a 2 bedroom list until we were married and had kids in pre school, elementary school- at that time they gave priority to families so as soon as we switched to the 2 bedroom list we knew we would be called and we were- at the time we were not in a hurry to live in penn south as we had a 2 bedroom in stuy town but prices were rising there and by the time we moved we were payinghalf for rent- how sweet-

Leave a comment:

• mollybloom
    replied

I too am now on the wait list. Or at least I hope I will be -- they cashed my check a couple of months ago. Not sure when we'll get to see our number on the list, but anecdotally, I'd love to know how many years people tend to wait for a 2-bedroom. It appears the list turns over approximately every 10 years or so lately -- is it realistic to think that we could get offered an apartment (2 bedroom) in that span of time? Is it possible it will happen sooner?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts. So excited about this!

Leave a comment:

• hkcg
    replied

Originally posted by momjo526 View Post
    yes how true as just today we got the papers under the door and it does look like a lot of people arent returning their applications and the co=op has decided to give extra time in returning them now
    If someone has not returned the application by the due date, and they are given an extension to do so, do you know if they still retain their original spot on the wait list? I should think that if you want an incredibly inexpensive apartment in a desirable neighborhood, that you would make it a priority to return the application on time. Also, it wasn't until we received the application that we found out that the fee was $50.00, not the originally stated $200.00, so if you fully expected to pay $200.00, then I should think that $50.00 would be a pleasant surprise and that would mean that more applications would be turned in on time. Just a thought and no judgement on anyone's financial situation, but I feel bad for the people who did not receive applications but were willing and able to follow the rules.

Again, thank you to all who are responding to all the wait list questions.

Leave a comment:

• momjo526
    replied

I agree lexington- probably the fee- maybe they should draw again- one of my kids isnt interested in applying and its too late now- what if she changed her mind? she doesnt think she will live in the city much longer so she didnt apply- wasnt going to listen to me

Leave a comment:

• Lexington
    replied

Originally posted by coop member View Post
    The application fee is only $50, used to be $200 with $150 back when you were called. Doubt the fee has anything to do with it, maybe people can't afford the new prices which are still WAY below a market price and a bargain for today's real estate market.
    I forgot that the fee was lowered. Thanks for the reminder.

Leave a comment:

• coop member
    replied

The application fee is only $50, used to be $200 with $150 back when you were called. Doubt the fee has anything to do with it, maybe people can't afford the new prices which are still WAY below a market price and a bargain for today's real estate market.

Leave a comment:

• Lexington
    replied

How unbelievable is it that people went to the trouble of obtaining postcards and mailing them in and then not filling out the application and returning it? I'll bet that it is the application fee that is stopping many from applying. They just can't see the forest for the trees. Too bad that a back up number of cards were not drawn and held in abeyance for a situation like this.

Leave a comment:

• momjo526
    replied

yes how true as just today we got the papers under the door and it does look like a lot of people arent returning their applications and the co=op has decided to give extra time in returning them now

Leave a comment:

• coop member
    replied

I was told that the last numbers on your application will give you an idea of where you are on the wait list. Your number will only improve since not everyone will return their applications. Good luck!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X