On Wait List

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On Wait List

I recently received an application for an apartment off of the most recent lottery. I am so excited. I do have a few questions. As a parent, I see that some buildings zone for PS11 and some for PS33. I'm not sure if I'm even able to request specific buildings (I know this will only increase my wait time), but could someone tell me the exact buildings that are zoned for PS11? Thank you very much!

Re: On Wait List

When I applied, I was able to indicate which building I'd like to live in.
    But, that was 20 years ago, so I don't know how things have changed.

Did the application say how long you had to wait?

Comment

It used to be all of the buildings from 23rs Street to the south side of 26th Street, or buildings 1 through 5. I suggest checking with DOE to be certain.

Comment

well p.s. 33 and p,s, 11 are both in school district 2- actually at the time I would never send my kids to p.s 33 but there has been a very very big turn around of late and they are actually bussing in children from tribecca because of their gifted program- you should just take a look one morning and you will be pleasantly surprised as I was to see the difference. who would think a parent from tribecca was waitingfor his son to get off the bus- he saidhe could havesent him to the zoned school in hisneighborhood which is very very good p.s. 86- he was just wanting to see what time the bus arrived at the school. the assitant principal is wonderful- i know her because she taught mydaughter at another school. i am sure building 3 is eleven while i know my building 7 is 33

Comment

That's what I said.

Comment

Hate to be a "down-er" but the wait list can sometimes be so long your kids might be in college (or married) by the time you get called. What I did was, after I got a number assigned to me, I would send a letter every year at the same time asking what number I was now. That way I could figure out how many apartments changed in a year. For example, if I was 700 and the next year I was 600 and the next year I was 500 I could estimate that every year it would be 100 less. It wasn't an exact science because even using my system I got called two years before I expected to. Good luck.

Comment

what magpie said is true- when i was on the original list we were an engaged couple- by the time I got in- although we were on hold a lot of that time my kids were already in pre school, elementary school- I actually kept my children in same schools since they were good district 2 schools and we commuted by city bus every day until both graduated- so i never put my younger child in the neighborhood school since my older one was already at that school and there wasno need for gifted program- thats why i never switched schools to a chelsea school but there was the gifted programs at both schools which meant the regular classes were not up par while my kids stayed at a good neighborhood district 2 school where everyone did well with no gifted schmifted program- they survived the nycschool system and went on to a good SUNY colleges

Comment

Thank you, everyone, for the insight!! Much appreciated

Comment

As I understand it, you will not be given a choice of building at all. In addition, coming soon is the fact that you will be offered one apartment, take it or leave it. Sorry.

Comment

wow when did that change? we got to put what building and apt. lines we wanted- i think even preference on low or higher floors-i think you can still get on a list for big balcony or switch to balcony. boy that sucks- we put all buildings down except 2 buildings

Comment

Originally posted by Barbarinna44 View Post
                      As I understand it, you will not be given a choice of building at all. In addition, coming soon is the fact that you will be offered one apartment, take it or leave it. Sorry.
                      Sounds draconian! Is this verified?

Comment

Originally posted by momjo526 View Post
                        wow when did that change? we got to put what building and apt. lines we wanted- i think even preference on low or higher floors-i think you can still get on a list for big balcony or switch to balcony. boy that sucks- we put all buildings down except 2 buildings
                        Yes, that's what I remember.

Comment

What I remember is that on the initial application, there was no choice of apartments. I was sent to look at the one bedroom apartments that were available in all buildings and on all floors. It was on the apartment transfer application that we could choose building, apartment line, high or low floors.

Comment

lexington so that changed after I guess- so maybe the list kind of moves in a different direction now because when i applied everyone wanted building 3= most popular= next to subway - school etc. but the graphics have certainly changed and now 9th and tenth ave more desirable and even ps 33 better-

Comment

I never did a transfer so I don't know what that application says -- but on my initial application I could choose what size apartment, balcony or no balcony, and then there was a list of what floors, e.g., 1-5, 6-10, 11-15, 16-21. When I was called I was given a choice of two apartments, neither of which I liked so I turned them down and figured I'd have a long wait, but I got called again within maybe six months and saw an apartment I liked. I was told I was #11 for that apartment, but somehow within a week or so I got called that I got it. However, that was for a studio and maybe those apartments turn over faster.

Comment

Working...
                              X