HVAC: MICE & WHATEVER

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HVAC: MICE & WHATEVER

Well, things are in full swing in my building. Haven't been able to sleep all week; but, of course, everyone is being affected. Now, mice have decided to visit. One came in through the opening in the wall by the convector. He left the same way. Now, another has come in, but I haven't seen him leave yet. Called in the exterminator, but he really wasn't able to do anything except put down a glue trap. The mouse came in and left. 2 days later he or another one of his friends came through the opening by the convector.

Never had a mouse before. I think he's hiding somewhere in the stack of furniture where the workman positioned them. Yikes!
    Last edited by Melian; 06-22-2014, 12:45 AM. Reason: typos

Re: HVAC: MICE & WHATEVER

yes embarrassing as it is we had not seen a mouse in quite awhile and then boom last week all of a sudden they appeared. I was quite upset. I guess through the convector. We used the snap trap available at home depot as we find it works better then glue traps. now they are working in my apt. for HVAC and they appear gone as fast as they came/ hopefully now that old convector is out and they patched the wall I wont have that problem again-glad you wrote about this Melian as I wondered if I was the only one

Comment

Originally posted by momjo526 View Post
      . now they are working in my apt. for HVAC and they appear gone as fast as they came/ hopefully now that old convector is out and they patched the wall I wont have that problem again-glad you wrote about this Melian as I wondered if I was the only one
      Well, they've only started working in my apartment, when I saw one. They came out of the hole that's in the wall and only in the living room. The workmen didn't put it back carefully one day.

I watched him run back and forth today. Too fast to catch. (My grandmother would have swatted him with a broom! ) Hopefully when they come tomorrow he'll find a way back out. In the meantime, I'll go to the Home Depot to get a snap trap as you suggest.

By the way, the exterminator said he had had calls from various apartments. So, it isn't just you and me.

Comment

yes not just us- i know the exterminator was recently above me as he rang the wrong apt- door one day- not sure if it was m=for mice- many people have cats to prevent it but i guess even thats not fool proof

Comment

Until the walls are back up, you are at risk (no matter what they tell you.) When I had a mouse problem, when they were coming through the convector because there were holes that I didn't know about, a Rat Zapper worked best for me. I caught my first mouse in an hour.

Comment

I was talking with some other co-operators about this yesterday and one mentioned the convector holes as well. I haven't seen another mouse since I last reported, but maybe I'll look for that Rat Zapper anyway.

Comment

we just caught a baby in trap- hopefully last one- guess holes in wall like usaid

Comment

I now have this problem. After 14 years of living here and not a one (as you can tell, I can't even mention the word - that paranoid, can't even sleep). Has anyone done anything to prevent the entry from the convectors? I didn't have any through the entire construction, so I assume that is where they are coming from. Next door neighbors also have the problem after the HVAC construction and new convectors put in and started functioning. Right now, I have the vents blocked with a piece of wood board, but the HVAC is turned off since I have not had the need to use them yet. Has anyone done anything to block the holes inside the convector or the vents. Maintenance says that they can't come in this way, but I can clearly see where there is an opening. Is blocking the bottom vents allowed? Not sure if these are intake vents or if blocking would be a problem. The old convectors were covered up. I don't want to create an obstruction to the vents, but I can't live with this problem!

Comment

I haven't had a problem but I also noticed the open vents and had some second thoughts. I think (altho' I would still want confirmation) that the floor and the wall behind the convector are sealed. However, to calm any fears, what I was thinking of doing is buying some screen materials in the hardware store and attaching it behind the opening vents. It wouldn't block anything except unwanted critters. I have to find out if it's OK to do and even whether it's necessary if the floors are sealed.

Comment

I find it discusting about the mice- I'm still catching them all because of HVAC- i hadnt seen one in a longtime before this so i am mad as hell

Comment

Can you catch them and drop them off in the HVAC office??????? A present for them which you would like to pay forward

Comment

LOL- i wish- I'm having enough issues with them breaking my lock but it now seems isolated and not same issue as other neighbor. it was fixed today- at least that- its not like I', not catching them- we r- should be gone soon- i hope

Comment

Thankfully, I haven't seen anymore mice.

Comment

Working...
                          X