New to HVAC Mechanical Period

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to HVAC Mechanical Period

When the Board or whoever decided to implement this HVAC program was there any consideration for co-operators who work at night and sleep during the day? I haven't heard anything about this.

It's finally come to my building. They are here bright and early at 6:30am. I who have sleep problems am going to have a big problem when they start work in my apartment. I have to go to work too.

I tried asking one of the House Committee persons, a former school teacher, who talks to other co-operators as if they were his students. He wasn't very helpful. So, I'm asking here before I go to the HVAC office and ask there. It will give me an idea of what to expect.

Re: New to HVAC Mechanical Period

I had to get out of my apartment and stay somewhere else when I had pneumonia! However, don't let me discourage you from asking for special consideration. I think they want everyone from a certain line to be out at the same time because they have to work on that line. But you can certainly ask them to give you another time because of your special circumstances. They just might be helpful. Let us know how it works out for you.

Comment

never thought about it-good question- i noticed people on the A line sitting on those chairs downstairs today- like they didnt want to go far- going to building 5 comfort room isnt convient when you live in 7- now i am mad about the laundry room-its open now but will close again most of the daystarting monday and we can only use it in our building late afternoon- what about peoples work schedules? some people work evenings and cant use our laundry room during the day meaning they will have to go to bldg 6 as recommeneded although most people arent going to that building and are going to 8 more likely

Comment

I'm not sure what you are asking for. If you're asking for them to come at another time then when they are scheduled for, I suspect you will not be happy with the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Melian View Post
          When the Board or whoever decided to implement this HVAC program was there any consideration for co-operators who work at night and sleep during the day? I haven't heard anything about this.

It's finally come to my building. They are here bright and early at 6:30am. I who have sleep problems am going to have a big problem when they start work in my apartment. I have to go to work too.

I tried asking one of the House Committee persons, a former school teacher, who talks to other co-operators as if they were his students. He wasn't very helpful. So, I'm asking here before I go to the HVAC office and ask there. It will give me an idea of what to expect.

I thought that I heard at the initial HVAC meeting that the coop is setting aside empty furnished apartments for people with special circumstances. I would call Management and ask about this. I don't know if this is what you are asking but, as far as being able to get an alternate time, with the scope of the work and the number of workers involved, I can't see how this could be done.

I am in Building 7B, Apt. 1A. The work started Thursday of this week. Security rang my bell at 6:30 on the button. I left my apartment immediately. I tried to get back in at 1:30 to put something in the refrigerator and was denied access as they had to kitchen sealed off with plastic. The convectors were removed that day, so I think it was also a safety issue not to have people in the apartment. I got back in at about 5pm. Convectors gone, plastic removed from furniture, debris removed from floor, blue carpeting from front door to convector in living room and then on to hallway and down to convector in bedroom. The carpeting not removed.

On Day 2, I left at 6:30 but came back to drop off some shopping at about 2:00 and was let in. I think I could have stayed, but didn't want to. I came back in at 4:00. The area was sealed off where the convectors were. The new convectors were in place, but not connected. Again, plastic removed from furniture and blue carpeting still down.

I don't know what Day 3 and beyond will bring. Day 1 seems to be the most work intensive. The Comfort Room is a nice destination to drop into and relax throughout the day.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Comment

thanks for the info- won't get to me until mid june

Comment

My experience was that they came on time the first day and you really needed to be out of there on the day they ripped out the convectors, but after that, they didn't always arrive at 6:30am on the dot. That said, you always needed to be prepared to let them in at 6:30am and if their presence upsets you, to leave; otherwise you would essentially be relegated to your kitchen if you can handle the noise and people marching in and out at any time throughout the day.

I usually left rather than to mill around and wait for them to arrive and do whatever they had to do. Some days they did more than other days. I often came home before the end of the day and the workers were gone, but Penn South would send someone around later in the day to do (very) quick clean ups and remove plastic sheeting. And security would check the place out later in the day as well. Sometimes, I would lock the door when I got home and they would open the door with a key without knocking, so don't run around naked until you know they are done with you for the day.

The scope of the project is such that they can't be so giving about working around the needs of individual tenants.

Comment

The schedule sheets that were given to us a few weeks back no longer apply. You should refer to the one page sheet that is posted (or will be posted) on the front door of each apartment for an accurate picture of what has been done and what needs to be done. Viewed this way, the project doesn't appear as daunting. A checkmark indicates completed work.

Comment

Originally posted by kafkaesque View Post
                  I'm not sure what you are asking for. If you're asking for them to come at another time then when they are scheduled for, I suspect you will not be happy with the answer.
                  I don't expect to get special consideration. The reason for asking is to prepare. To know what to expect from those who have gone through it. Obviously, the planners didn't prepare a Q&A to help us prepare.

A friend works nights and sleeps during the day. She asked me if I knew what to expect. Now, I can tell her from these responses that she'll need to make arrangements and not expect to dress and shower at times when these workmen may be walking about.

I asked a House Committee member how this was going to work. The response was like one you would give to a child. Well, you just have to do what you are told! He is retired and, of course, went off to stay with his sister so he wasn't in when they came at 6:30am last week. Easy for him. I heard it all from my door that first morning. The team home leader knocked at each door to get people out. I was listening to know what to expect when my turn comes. I heard who was in and who was not. I have sleep issues. I'll probably have to spend money to go to a hotel to be in good shape to meet the pressures at work that first day. If I get up at 4am to get out by 6:30am, I'll fall asleep at my desk by 3pm.

Thanks all for your responses. It helps.
                  Last edited by Melian; 05-19-2014, 07:58 AM. Reason: Typos - last minute thoughts

Comment

I am on week two of HVAC, and find it a nightmare. There are fumes, holes in the wall that go to the outside where the old convector was. I have been prepared and out by 7am each day, only to find out from neighbors the workmen didn't come until after 10am, or one day, after 12pm. I heard a rumor that they wouldn;t be in my apt tomorrow, called office who confirmed that. About an hour later there was a sign on my door with that info. If I hadn't called, or opened my door to put out garbage, I would have been expecting them at 7am. I think the HVAC office should contact us if there is a significant change in the schedule re time or dates.

Comment

You think this is a nightmare??? Wait until you have to use the convector. Make sure you get them to explain how to set the temperature and how to turn it on and off. It's digital and works differently than the old "on and off", "low" "medium" and "high". Once you understand it, it's not a bad system but it can be a bit daunting for older folks and those who have to get used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodstock View Post
                        I am on week two of HVAC, and find it a nightmare. There are fumes, holes in the wall that go to the outside where the old convector was. I have been prepared and out by 7am each day, only to find out from neighbors the workmen didn't come until after 10am, or one day, after 12pm....
                        Well, this is good to know. I have to get out everyday in the morning for work. At least, then, I'll know that may not have leave, but be ready for it. This will reduce stress for me. Thanks.

Comment

It looks as if the contractors are ahead of schedule. I was scheduled for work today (Wednesday) and tomorrow. I went out to throw the garbage out at about 7 last night and there was a notice posted on my door that no access to my apartment was needed for those two days. I now have to stop by the HVAC office to see if the schedule for Friday and all of next week will remain the same when I am not scheduled for any work. For me, the worst is over. It seems that there are 3 l/2 days of major work for 1 bedroom apartments. It sure is great sleeping until 7 instead of getting up at 2 or 3 because I had to go to bed at 8 from sheer exhaustion.

Comment

well that is good news- i know chris salmon was on my floor yesterday- he is HVAC supv. making sure everything was going smoothly- i am not surprised because i overheard some workers talking something about your apt. the other day- maybe that is what they were saying = who knows- you were outside

Comment

Originally posted by Lexington View Post
                              I went out to throw the garbage out at about 7 last night and there was a notice posted on my door that no access to my apartment was needed for those two days.
                              That happened several times. Get in the habit of checking the outside of your door for announcements. Sometimes things just go ahead of schedule.

Comment

Working...
                              X