Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peeling Paint - esp on ceilings?

Hi neighbors -

Has anyone gotten maintenance to correct the peeling paint on their ceilings? They've told me it's our responsibility, which I find crazy. If that's the case, anyone have recommendations for reliable painters?

Thanks!

Re: Peeling Paint - esp on ceilings?

how long since it was painted?

Comment

Thanks for responding, since I moved in it has not been painted. (8 years)

Comment

supposed to be painted more often although i havent either so who am i to say- painting is expensive

Comment

Originally posted by debbo212 View Post
          Thanks for responding, since I moved in it has not been painted. (8 years)
          That's why it's not the co-op's responsibility if it's the paint that is cracked from age rather than leaks or structural damage.

My ceilings are the same, and I haven't painted in even longer than 8 years. Now it's a bitch to have to fix the ceilings and paint, very labor intensive. A few years ago, I asked several people to give me a quote on the job, they said they'd get back to me and none of them ever did. Apparently, they didn't want to work that hard. I'm going to end up doing it myself when the HVAC is done. But it will probably take me the rest of my life to get it finished.

Comment

Have you tried asking one of the maintenance painters how much he would charge to do a private job for you. They would have the experience and the paint and unless you want to try and do it yourself I would think this might be the better solution.

Comment

I agree with Magpie. I do understand you dont want the place fully painted until after HVAC project. I am in the same boat but unlike you the peeling paint in my bedroom was caused by the shower above and has been fixed before- we painted our bathrooms but it was hard work and we never did get to the ceilings because it was too hard at the time for 2 girls to do the work while the men were unable to

Comment

I prefer not to ask the maintenance guys to do private jobs for me. If the work that they do on the clock is equivalent to the work that they do off, then no thank you.

Whenever I need something fixed, it takes two appointments: one for the first guy who doesn't get the job done, the second for the next guy who will hopefully have more success. Last week, I had an appointment for someone to come fix two small plumbing issues in the bathroom as well as another small thing (to fix something that another maintenance guy had messed up.) He was able to fix the thing that the previous guy had done, but I had to make another appointment for the two plumbing issues. I can give several instances in the last year when I called maintenance and I received subpar work done in my apartment, and in some cases, needed a second appointment. At one point, I was so pissed that I was ready to call for a supervisor, but then I really didn't want to get these guys into trouble. I doubt that Penn South is a nice place to work, and I wouldn't want to be the one to make it more miserable for someone. A lot of these guys are old-timers, so I don't think it's because they don't know how to fix things, they just have gotten lazy.

Comment

well if it is from a leak penn south will fix it- just dealing with our maintaince staf on phone or in person is enough if you know what i mean- so step one is dealing with the nasty person and then step 2 hopingthe job is done right- this reminds me only one area of my bedroom ceiling needs a repair job but i must ay that same area over the yers has been plastered and repainted too many times

Comment

Thanks folks. Yeah I agree, I don't want to hire the maintenance folks, I was NOT happy with the work they did for HVAC and when my bathroom had a leak, they painted and them had to come back and do it all over again b/c it peeled off. I think the paint they use is really cheap, or they are using the wrong kind on top of old stuff.

Guess I'll just hire someone.

GOOD LUCK everyone who is going through HVAC, it's a real nightmare.

Comment

the HVAC guy cameto show me which walls will have stuff that have to be moved- my headboard is connected to the base of my big bed and may have to be taken apart. the guy said no problem- all i have to do is empty stuff out and put in boxes- - yeah right- i know it isnt goiing to go that smoothly- we have til january to worry

Comment

Originally posted by debbo212 View Post
                        Thanks folks. Yeah I agree, I don't want to hire the maintenance folks, I was NOT happy with the work they did for HVAC and when my bathroom had a leak, they painted and them had to come back and do it all over again b/c it peeled off. I think the paint they use is really cheap, or they are using the wrong kind on top of old stuff.

Guess I'll just hire someone.

GOOD LUCK everyone who is going through HVAC, it's a real nightmare.

The HVAC people are different than maintenance people. And supposedly, they are using different HVAC people.

But since you've been through it, can you report more fully on your HVAC experience? They just did my building's asbestos removal, next we move into the HVAC phase. I don't know what is more disturbing: having people traipsing in and out of my apartment or the sheer thought of living without air cooling.

Comment

I was one of the first buildings to go through the HVAC fiasco. What kills me is that we have to pay a pass-along for ten years. They should be paying us for putting us through this torture!

I have to say first that the workers I had were very cooperative. No complaints on that score. And the first phase went very smoothly. It's that second phase that begins the nightmare, and if I remember correctly there are seven phases. You'll get paper work to let you know what they'll be doing each step of the way. They say you can stay in the apartment during some of the work but I wouldn't trust that since the noise, the disruptions, the men in and out of the apartment, the heat (because all the buildings will be done during the summer when the heating is off, and you don't have the convectors for cooling) and furniture and floors will be covered with plastic -- and the noise -- and the noise -- and the noise, and oh, did I mention the noise???? Most mornings during the work in your apartment you'll be asked to be out by 7AM and a security guard will knock at your door to make sure you're out. The workers will usually be out of your apartment by 5PM.

HVAC will provide cooling centers but some people will come in there annoyed and angry at being displaced and it just won't be a very relaxing place to be. One of the few times I felt that people who still went to work were blessed.

I would suggest that if you have things you want protected to take the offer of having a lock put on the bathroom door. They won't charge for putting a lock on if you have the lock removed when all the work is finished. If you decide to keep the lock then they'll charge $11. I would also suggest that you take pictures of your apartment because if there's any damage you'll need to have some evidence.

At the end of the entire process HVAC will send someone to check with you to see if there's been any damage and they'll report back to HVAC. I didn't have any damage to my floors but I hear from neighbors who did that their floors were repaired.

I must warn (though I hope none of you have a problem) that some apartments did have leaks because HVAC made some errors in installation. So pray all goes smoothly, and very well might, since you will have a new company doing the work.

At the end of all the work there are still convectors in the first three buildings that were done that are as yet not working properly. I have no idea how mine will work during the summer, since we're not at the cooling stage yet, and I don't know when we'll be notified of an inspection from HVAC when they know what they're doing and how to correct the problems.

Since these machines are digital they'll be somewhat daunting for those tenants who are not particularly tekkie savvy. You have to set the thermostat and hope you press the right buttons -- though you should get used to the process after a few tries. You'll get a lesson before you have to use the convectors and you'll also get a printed sheet with instructions.

If you have any further questions don't hesitate to ask. And if you get through the whole process and feel that the convector is not working properly don't hesitate to ask HVAC to come to you as many times as you need them. I had several maintenance calls and still the convector didn't work properly so finally I got someone from HVAC and he told me it needed to be insulated. I can't tell you how many inspections I had before then, and how many HVAC people were supposed to have checked the convector, so don't be quiet if you feel the convector is not working right.

My final review -- In all my years (and I'm a senior citizen) of living in different places this was the worst improvement???? I've had to endure. I can't even say I feel these convectors are better than the old ones we had. I never had a problem with those, but I've sure had problems with the new ones.

Don't mean to scare you, and maybe you'll fare better than we did, but better to be prepared for the worst and hope for the best. Lotsa luck.

Comment

I just thought of something else -- if you're anything like me then you probably have a routine and do things in a certain way. However, since your stuff will be moved around I would strongly suggest that you make notes where you put things so you don't have to worry that anything was stolen if you can't find what you need. It can be a very disorienting few months.

Comment

yeah they have made changes so its good to be not the firt few buildings. i hesr there are still issues with some ofthe single buildings- andthey arw not yet resolved

Comment

Working...
                              X