ALLERTON HOTEL closing!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ALLERTON HOTEL closing!!!!

It's a fine line to walk. You don't want to see the city gentrified, but you also want to feel safe walking down the street. The problem that most people have with the Allerton and related properties is not that they *exist* but that people are frequently accosted and made to feel unsafe when walking in the area. One should be able to walk down the block without being hit up by panhandlers and hustlers.

Where is the happy medium? I don't know. It would be nice if areas could be improved without having the life and the character of the city sucked out of them. I'm not pleased with the direction the city is taking, that's for certain. If I wanted to live in a neighborhood of strip malls, Starbucks and such, I'd move to the 'burbs.

Unfortunately, the self-centered, self-entitled yuppies *are* here, and there's no end in sight to that. I've had the misfortune of running into too many of them in Chelsea already.

I for one would rather have neither crack ho nor yuppie. I'd prefer a neighborhood of old-school New Yorkers: hardworking, diverse people who are unique and contribute something positive to the city!

Comment

I couldn't agree more Alexis! This city is being proliferated by just those types of "self-centered" people you described. It's no longer about NYC being the hub of artisans, creative types, character and unique quality. Now, it's ALL about $$$$ and more $$$$.

Growing up here (on and off), I have seen first-hand the "gentrification" that is and had been taking place. To me, this is NOT gentrifcation if you will, this is a pure and simple case of stripping us of our most basic and valuable (and I don't mean monetarily!) asset: our neighborhood pride! Just because you spend $$$$ on commercial endeavors, does not "gentrify" the area. It just becomes one more cookie-cutter part of our city. I for one mourn for the "Old Chelsea." The one where my friends,family and I who lived here "back-in-the-day and moved back here for those reasons, "used to be."

Oh well..."progress."

Comment

PHPT2, you stated you like the Allerton. I am curious what is it you like about it? If you lived on 22nd st, I am sure you would be pleased it is closing.

I too am not happy with the gentification of Chelsea and when I moved in across the street from the Allerton, people questioned my sanity. My response then was, it is part of what makes NYC-NYC. But after years of screaming people and sirens in the middle of the night I now understand why residents prefer living across the street from a condo.

Comment

Bobw22- I understand what you're saying about living across the street from the Allerton. I live in Penn South, and years ago (1993) when I first lived here, some questionable kids used to hang out on my corner, and one night when I was going out, they threw a large glass bottle at me when I was getting into a cab that just missed me. It was scary. Fortunately that problem has been taken care of! How? Better policing? I'm not sure... I think all of the replies to my original post (chelseachick69, alexismckinnon, princeofchelsea) said it better than I did. I was trying to make the point that I prefer to live in a New York that doesn't feel like a bland suburban mall, and offers affordable housing to people of all economic levels. The gentrification I've been seeing all over NYC saddens me. However, that doesn't mean we also have to live with crime and disturbance, as with the Allerton. There should be a happy medium.... I hope all these politicians who keep talking about affordable housing finally do something about it one of these days!

Comment

This is not just closing as a reflection of a gentirifying neighborhood, it is also a reminder of poor ideas in affordable housing. This is the last surviving welfare hotel left in the city, one with a disturbing history, no less. The others closed long ago for reasons other than gentrification and there have been a lot of changes in housing since (for better or worse). I am curious where the city will house the current residents. Anyone know details?

Comment

The Twilight Zone

Just wondering....

Does anyone else here feel like you went to bed in Chelsea and woke up on the UES?

bad attitudes to the right of me...bad attitudes to the left of me...slowly I turn...step by step...inch by inch...well...you know the rest.

Comment

I walked by the Allerton last night and the laundry is still open, which made me happy because I often drop my clothes off at that location.
                www.hotelchelseablog.com

Comment

As I walked by the Allerton this morning, I overheard two men saying the whole building is coming down for the new condos. So, the laundry, Subway, and the frame store will all be gone. I believe the construction starts in January.

Comment

If you want to find out more about the Allerton please come to our annual meeting at 315 W 22 St 7:00 pm Monday Dec 4 St Paul's Church

The 300 W 23,22,21 Street Block Association is open to everyone and there are flyers on the blocks with details.

We will also have Christmas caroling Dec 18 at 6:30 meet in the lobby of 360 w 22 st
                    (from the 300 West executive board)

Comment

Any new information after tonights CB meeting? (i couldnt go)

Comment

We have notes from the meeting on our blog at www.blogchelsea.com

Comment

It was pretty informative...
                          It started off with a police officer just talking about basic stuff going on in the 'hood, and then there was a little Q&A.
                          They will start construction to make Allerton into a nice hotel, with construction starting in January. Most neighbors were particularly concerned with potential rodent problems. It was interesting to see what kind of people turned out. It was a mix of types of all sorts of people, which I thought was nice to see.
                          There were some other things discussed (High Line and Theological Seminary stuff), but nothing too urgent. Tomorrow I will try to make sense of some of my few notes and post them here.
                          xo
                          v

Comment

Wow, AHCB, you're good! Thanks for that so fast!

Comment

Originally posted by AHCB View Post
                              We have notes from the meeting on our blog at www.blogchelsea.com
                              Thanks so much for posting that, I wasn't able to attend. Good news about not tearing down the Allerton, and going hotel instead of condo!

And it seems the "formerly anonymous" of the Hotel Chelsea Blog are also the "formerly anonymous" of BlogChelsea.

http://www.blogchelsea.com/arts-cult...hotel-chelsea/

Comment

AHCB,

Great work on the minutes of the meeting and thanks for posting them so quickly!! Sorry I wasn't able to be there.

I don't know if I'm supposed to be laughing, crying or outraged at the following:

Question: What is the financial structure of this deal? How does a for profit business such as the Brodsky group use this non-profit organization to make money?

Answer: The answer is too complex and it would take too long.

Well, golly, I reelize that us what that live here in this Chelsea place ain't all that tereble brite, but jest maybee one of us no's sombodie what that couldive transilated us pixilated souls to a understanding and de-complexitized a anser fer us if they hada gave one.

I truly hope that the "Answer" above is your own shorthand and that no one had the nerve to actually say that!

Comment

Working...
                                X