ALLERTON HOTEL closing!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ALLERTON HOTEL closing!!!!

I was just talking to the woman at the Allerton Laundry, and she was telling me they're closing...the building has been sold and the new owner plans to convert to condos!

Now...THAT's the best news I've heard in YEARS!

Re: ALLERTON HOTEL closing!!!!

Whoo Hoo or..."Ding, Dong The Witch Is Dead..."

Comment

PLEASE let it be true!
      But...hey...who's gonna do my laundry!!!??

Comment

Our Building's web site also has it posted, the Allerton is closing in January per a member of the block association. It reportedly sold for 17M and of course will be converted to Condos.

I am sure some of the members of this site will say, sure another SRO in Manhattan closes and what about the homeless residents. Well, after living across from the Allerton for 10 years and as I type this hearing someone screaming out their window, I say celebrate.

Please let the deal go through..............

Comment

Hmm... wonder if they'll retain the name, "The Allerton Condominium" ?!

Anyway, they should do a Feng Shui clearing ceremony before restoring the building, to get the bad vibes out: I know there have been murders etc. there.

Comment

This is indeed great news. Now if they can just do something with the "My Old Lady" building on 22nd and 7th, and maybe the old coffee shop building across the street...

Comment

So, I stopped in the Allerton today and asked at the front desk (which is behind bullet proof glass) if they are closing?
              He wouldn't comfirm anything but said they are not taking any reservations after 10/31.
              The laudromat manager said she is out of a job on 11/01 and was happy about it.

Comment

YES! I can stop crosing the street to avoid that corner..hopefully the new condo building can also do away with the HORRIBLE subway sandwich smell from that corner that wafts in to my apartment!!!

Comment

I wouldn't break out the champagne yet. I am seeing more and more of the "Allerton Denizens" now hanging out in doorways and on the sidewalks in the nabe.

Comment

There is a god!

Comment

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Wow, this really is the best news I've heard all year. I can walk my dog down that beautiful block without the worry of harrasment. Now if only they would finish the 8 month long construction on my building(300 w23rd) life would be perfect!

Comment

Hallelujah!! I am so tired of that sketched-out corner and people shouting up to residents in the apartments... Staggering cracked-out bands of hangers-on be gone! Good riddance!

Comment

I will probably not be popular for saying this, but I like the Allerton. It's funky, the same way the old 42nd Street was funky. Now 42nd Street is pristine, devoid of character. Pretty soon this whole city will be a sleek, gentrified island of rich people. What a shame. I'll take a crack ho over an overpriveliged, elitist yuppie any day!

I was on the 34th Street bus the other day in deep rush hour traffic, so naturally it was pretty slow going. The driver was a nice, friendly guy. Some pampered yuppie got on at around 6th Avenue, and began screaming (literally) at the bus driver that he had been waiting for the bus for a half hour- like it was the driver's fault! I told the guy to go get a limo if he didn't like the bus service. The other folks on the bus agreed with me!

The point I'm making is that everything doesn't have to be all smooth and perfect. Imperfections, vulnerabilities are interesting and endlessly unknown. Perfection is boredom.

Comment

Not everything is so black and white. There is always a good middle ground. I agree about some of the character changes to this city for instance I hate how 23rd street has become like a strip mall on Long Island. Manhattanites don't need an Olive Garden! But come on, the families on 22nd street would surely rather not see a 'crack ho' as you put it. Besides most of the 'elitest yuppies' are on the upper east side. The important fact of the matter is people feeling threatoned on that corner, and at least now that threatning presence will be gone. Hallelujah!!

Comment

Working...
                              X