Villa Chauvin Salon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Villa Chauvin Salon

Sorry to slam this establishment, but I feel that my complaint is warranted. A stylist cut my ear during a trim (honest mistake, I know) and I asked the manager (and later the owner) for an incident report. I simply wanted proof of the injury, in case I developed an infection. The owner refused. Of course, this was unprofessional, but it is not the reason that I posting this alert. While my wife was talking to the owner via the receptionist's telephone a stylist approached her and called her "b*tch". We remained calm, as he smelled strongly of alcohol. My wife is a trained clinician and she thought that he appeared to be very unstable, so we tried to ignore him as best we could. He huffed and puffed--growing redder by the minute--entering a manic fit.

Interestingly, he had it out for my wife, who had been in the salon for less than 1 minute, and not for me. He was probably three times her size. Oh, all the more bizarre--he was not the stylist who cut my ear! Beware of this place. No names here, but the guy is tall, blond, slim and has a ruddy/pink complexion. We have filed the appropriate complaints and an investigation is underway. During the entire time he was screaming, not one staff member attempted to calm him down. My wife asked the owner to talk to him, via the phone. Thankfully the owner got him to leave (I assume).

My wife got back on the phone but the owner refused to offer any professional courtesy. All we wanted was a letter stating that my ear had been cut and that I had bled. He went on and on about "his word". By that point we were terrified of the smelly, muscular, unstable stylist and we just wanted to get out of the salon. This could have been so much worse, but I guess the guy was lucky that we are highly refined, and not impulsive. The place is on West 23rd. (between 7th and 8th Ave).

I do not care if this is aberrant behavior for the staff at Villa Chauvin, so staff need not respond. It only takes one rotten apple to sour a pie. In all, not cool to call someone "b*tch" simply because they want a letter stating that their spouse bled in your salon. The behavior was particularly heinous, considering that we were so pleasant and mild-mannered about the incident. By the way, the receptionist/manager was very kind and professional. The same cannot be said about the other stylists, who watched in horror as this man displaced his rage onto my wife. I would hate to have to work in such an environment. One can only imagine that this is not the first time that this guy acted inappropriately.

Re: Villa Chauvin Salon

Thanks for letting us know about this. That sounds awful! And just the kind of thing we should all know about. Sounds like a place to avoid - especially with the crazy guy intimidating customers like that.

Comment

What an awful story. Any responsible store has an insurance policy in place and incident forms at the ready to fax to one's insurance agent immediately. It's trouble free.

You know, I used to frequent Headlines on Eighth, and quite a few of the staff went over to Villa Chauvin (and I always loved Jay) but you know what? There are plenty of salons in Chelsea with no attitude and no "bitch" crap going on.

Comment

Originally posted by girlfriday
        used to frequent Headlines on Eighth, and quite a few of the staff went over to Villa Chauvin (and I always loved Jay) but you know what?
        I also used to see one of the folks at Headlines -- but when the staff went to VC, the prices doubled. Even that person said to me the pricing was outrageous....and this was many years ago.

Comment

The staff turns over so frequently, that it cannot be a good place to work. I know all of my favorites who were there when it originally opened (the Headlines crew) all great stylists, have all left. Erica, Tommy and Fred. That says a lot to me about the way it has been managed. Sorry about your ear, tough break. I would say try Anthony Gianzero on 17th Street between 8th and 9th. Fred has moved there and you cannot get a better haircut.

Comment

Originally posted by Wheresfuton
            The staff turns over so frequently, that it cannot be a good place to work. I know all of my favorites who were there when it originally opened (the Headlines crew) all great stylists, have all left. Erica, Tommy and Fred. That says a lot to me about the way it has been managed. Sorry about your ear, tough break. I would say try Anthony Gianzero on 17th Street between 8th and 9th. Fred has moved there and you cannot get a better haircut.
            Jeez! What a horrible thing to happen. I've been going to V.C. for about 2 years now. L.L. is right. The receptionist is a doll. So are the others I've personally dealt with. I cannot speak for the entire staff however. That said, I've always gone to Fred. (Just love him to death!) But, I DO know to whom the injured gentlemen is referring, and to tell you the truth, I've always been a bit leary of him. About a month or so ago, I wanted to get my hair trimmed as well. Fred wasn't available so, I went to that blonde guy (If it's who I'm thinking of, his name starts with a P). OH MY GOD! What a freak. He wouldn't allow me to get a word in edgewise, in addition to moving my head around like a Raggedy-Anne doll. At one point, I asked him to be a bit more gentle and not thrash my skull around. He sucked his teeth and kept cutting my hair; which I might add, actually ended up looking great. My own experiences over the past 2 years have been okay (whew!). I'm just so sorry for LemonLime. What a horror. I do hope his ear's okay. There ARE many other salons in Chelsea. I'm so sure it'll be no problem to find someone else much more fabulous. Good luck to all. : )

Comment

[This response is posted by the owner of Villa Chauvin]:

Tommy moved back to NC with his dying mother. Erica went on to work for One Life to Live and is now freelancing because she is being baggered by the state to pay old debts and her wages were being garnished. .Fred is still working at Villa Chauvin Hair Studio several days a week and working with Anthony. Have you worked for the same company for the last 5 years?

These stylists change of employment had nothing to do with Villa Chauvin. Also, the episode above concering the injured ear was not as dramatic nor explained correctly. Please note that we will be posting a reply to these false acusations soon!

Comment

SORRY TO CALL YOU A LIAR!!HOW DARE YOU MAKE SUCH FALSE STATEMENTS TOWARDS THIS SALON.BY THE WAY, IS THIS NOT THE WIFE WRITING FOR THE HUSBAND WHO COULD NOT BARELY SPEAK ENGLISH.SO FROM ONE WOMAN TO THE NEXT, I WAS GETTING MY HAIR BLOWN OUT AND THERE WAS NO UGLINESS GOING ON CONCERNING THE INJURY TO THE EAR. IT WAS MERELY A SCRATCH THAT DID NOT EVEN RQUIRE BANDAGE AND WERE ASKED ON SEVERAL OCCASSIONS IF THERE WAS ANY MEDICAL TREATMENT NEEDED FOR THE SCRATCH TO THE EAR THESE GUYS ARE THE NICEST PEOPLE YOU EVER WANT TO MEET. IF I WERE THE OWNER I WOULD SLAP A LAW SUIT ON YOU SO FAST THAT IT WOULD MAKE YOUR HEAD SPIN. I AM SURE THAT THEY KEEP A LOG OF THERE CLIENTS AND CAN FIND MANY WITNESSES FOR THIS INCIDENT.REMEBER: WHAT GOES AROUND WILL COME AROUND.VILLA CHAUVIN IS THE BEST SALON IN THE AREA.AS FAR AS Anthony Gianzero Salon, HIS PRICES ARE EXTREME AND NEXT TO THE PROJECTS.OH, BY THE WAY,I HAVE NEVER SEEN THESE GUYS DRUNK.
                WHAT AN EXAGERATION OF THE STORY TOLD ABOVE!!!!! I BELIEVE THAT YOU ARE BREWING UP A HATE CRIME WHICH IS UNACCEPTABLE IN THIS NEIGHBORHOOD.

Comment

That is a hard one to swallow. The comments made have to be an over exaggeration of the actual facts.

I have been a customer of The Villa Chauvin Salon since they opened at there original location on 21st st over 4 years ago. I have followed them when they moved over to the now location on 23rd street between 7th and 8th. I will not go anywhere else. The mood in this salon is always friendly warm and inviting.

The stylists are extremely professional and very attentive to all your needs. As for the owners they could not me more accommodating. They really make you feel welcome.

Just keep in mind when reading any negative comment posted about this terrific salon, there are ALWAYS two sides to every story.

You should really judge for your self and I'm sure you will find that this is a professional, upbeat, cutting edge salon that is hard to beat!!!

Keep up the good work!!!

Faithfull Customer

Comment

Hello Neighbors
                    Our names are Tito Villa and Jay Chauvinand we are the owners of Villa Chauvin Hair Studio. We would like to take this opportunity to explain to you what happened on that "Ear Cutting Day".

On May 8th, a client walked in for a haircut and we performed the service. During that service, our stylist did accidentally cut the side of his ear. There was minimal bleeding. At that point, the stylist cleaned off his ear with antiseptic and he rushed off to the restroom. The client’s wife then walked in to the salon as he was exiting the restroom. He did not speak English well, so his wife intervened. Another stylist did enter the conversation only to help and to assist with any attention that he may have needed concerning his cut. Our receptionist then called me and I did speak to the wife about the situation and expressed my concern for them and their fears. I told her that if he needed to go to the doctor then we would take care of his medical bills along with any medication needed for any infection that may occur. She declined. I had apologized to her several times and all she kept saying was that she would report us. Our main concern is for our clients and I feel awful for the small cut on his ear. These things happen in most salons and barber shops from time to time. This is no different than cutting yourself shaving. The offer that I have made to the client before regarding us paying any medical still stands, if there are any.We did not charge him for his haircut and I again do apologize. Also, the stylist that was being spoken of to as being an alcoholic does not DRINK and is very corgal towards our clients just as all of our staff is. This has taken me some time to respond to because I felt it to be necessary for me to investigate the issue before I could make a statement.

I would also like to add that we cherish our clients as our clients are our main concern. We also pride ourselves on our work and customer service skills. It takes time to get the perfect staff and I must say that our staff is perfect. Tito and I work very hard to make this an enjoyable salon to visit and we do hope to see all of you soon.

Thanks to you all
                    Tito Villa & Jay Chauvin

Comment

I'm confused GoldenGirl. Who are you exactly? I don't understand where you fit into this story.
                      Shirley

Comment

Geesh, This got hot fast! I'm sad to report that I've had to ban goldengirl as "she" is apparently the same person as "Jay and Tito", the owners of this salon. They both were using the exact same internet connection at almost the same time, and I'll leave it up to you guys to figure out what that means.

Also, "her" tone was way too abusive and "attacking" for what I like to see on this site. And "she" seemed to know way too much about the running of this salon - about how they must keep customer logs and all. Typically when you see someone who's that hostile jumping to the defense of someone else, and they just happen to be using the same internet connection - it typically means they're the same person.

The evidence strongly suggests that that message was posted by the owner of the salon himself. And if not the owner himself, it's safe to say it was posted by someone who was in the same location as the owner at the time they posted.

The reason I'm telling you this is since that post was ostensibly made by someone else - in defense of the salon, you should know that that message was more than likely posted by the owner. And I'll leave it to you to form your own conclusions from there.

Comment

What's "corgal" ?
                          hehehe

Comment

I came across this blog today and felt it neccessary to reply. I have been going to the Villa Chauvin since they opened 4 years ago. I have never been unhappy with a haircut here. These guys are great, when my wife was pregnant they made sure she was comfortable. When I've had to bring in the kids they ran out and got them some candy. I feel like they've become old friends. Try the salon out for yourselves, you'll be happy you did.

Comment

Originally posted by Vidis
                              What's "corgal" ?
                              hehehe
                              Vidis: As they say, you're a hoot! : ) "Cordial" perhaps? (Ya think?)

Big belly laugh from -

CC69

Comment

Working...
                              X