Villa Chauvin Salon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Villa Chauvin Salon

This will be my last reply concerning this issue which has been consuming me and my family for weeks. I can only say that I am again sorry for Lemon's husbands ear. I am not the arguing kind and do not like the going back forward. I believe that this whole incident has completly been taken to a different level and will not participate in these dealings any longer. I have the highest respect for my clients and myself as a person so I refuse to entertain this subject any longer. I am sorry that some of you feel the way that you do and I wish that you would give us the oppurtunity to show you otherwise.
    Thank all of you for your opinions and have a great day.
    Jay Chauvin
    owner

Comment

Villa Chauvin Salon

For the last six months, I have been trying local salons to get my haircut versus traveling downtown to a salon which I have done for years.

After reading the "publicity" Villa Chauvin Salon had on CYB, I decided to give them a try for the first time. I have to say it was the best haircut, I have had in six months (5 salons) and everyone there was very pleasant.

My worse restaurant experience was a restaurant rated no. 1 for five years by Zagat. So, every establishment has some off incidents that is why I decided to try Villa Chauvin Salon.

What is that saying? bad publicity is better than no publicity at all.

A new customer of Chauvin Salon.

Comment

Very interesting blog I must say! I think LemonLime sounds totally reasonable. And like Alexis pointed out - Jay didn't sound quite so reasonable. I guess it's time that retailers wake up and realize they can't go on treating us as rudely as they have in the past - because we have the internet now where any of us can post anything anytime.

I'm sure Jay runs a decent salon and obviously incidents like this don't happen often or he'd be out of business I would guess. But he definitely has something to learn about treating customers well. After reading what goldengirl posted and her tone being much as LemonLime describes happened that day in the shop I'd have to lean towards LemonLime's version here.

I hope Jay and other Chelsea retailers will see this is a new day and learn to treat their customers with a little more respect.

Comment

I'm not going to weigh in on this issue, except to say that I've never had a better haircut than at the cheapest, diviest barbershops - usually located inside a subway station - and I have to wonder what compels a man to drop so much money at a fancy salon when a simple barber will do. But to each his own, I guess

So... are there any cheap barbers in Chelsea? I've lived here over a year and I haven't seen a single barbershop in the neighborhood.

Comment

The reason I go to a salon is I fin dthat barbers have no sense of style whatsoever.

Comment

There's the one on 17th (?)off 8th. near the laundromat on the corner. There's the one in London Terrace on 23rd at 10th, there's the one on 9th Ave around 22 or 21st street, I think, just down the street from alvin's alley video.

Comment

Cool, 17&8 is near me, I'll check it out.

The reason I go to a salon is I fin dthat barbers have no sense of style whatsoever.

Fair enough. I'm kind of anti-style myself, so I guess that explains my confusion.

Comment

Hi Bob, thanks for your recommendation - that carries a lot of weight as we know you've been here for a long time and didn't just join so you could post something nice. That's a good recommendation.

Comment

The experience that LemonLime had at Villa Chauvin sounds unfortunate and probably unpleasant. But would it be fair to advise an entire neighborhood to boycott a business because things went south on one particular occasion? Yes, LemonLime probably won't want to go there again; fortunately many folks in Chelsea have known Jay and the staff much longer and have a better view of the salon.

The remarks that one person posted about staff turnover seem misinformed and a bit nasty. I've been a customer of Fred and Jay's (and Tommy's) since the Headlines days, starting back in 1996. The staff turnover has been due mostly to the fact that Jay is very particular about positive attitude and a high level of skill among the staff. Yes, Tommy left--to be a help to his family back in Virginia--but he still has strong ties to his Villa Chauvin family in New York. The manager of the salon has been with them for several years now and is a delightful, capable woman. Fred has been a constant at the salon, although during various periods of time he has chosen to branch out to other salons a few days a week. He is probably the most skilled haircutter I've ever seen anywhere. As for Jay, he's an artist--he can interpret a client's requests and turn them into a unique, striking style. The gorgeous haircuts he has given me have been largely responsible for much of the work I get as a print model and commercial actress.

Accidents happen, and mistakes are made. LemonLime certainly had a right to make a complaint to the management and to whatever governing organization they felt needed to be alerted, if that was truly necessary. But remarks on the internet are something else--accusing someone whom you don't know of drunkenness (even if they did behave in an allegedly unpleasant way towards you) amounts to libel. Yes, you've protected yourselves by writing under a user name, but the issue of responsible, reasonable communication still stands.

It would be unfortunate for a solid Chelsea business to be hurt by the comments of one dissatisfied customer and the hearsay of a few others. And I'd be sorry to think that potential clients might miss out on the extraordinary work that is the standard at Villa Chauvin.

Comment

Hi Jay,

Thanks for your post. I am strictly a DevaChan girl but I thank you for the kind offer and thoughtful reply.

I do agree with others who have posted here...everyone's experiences with businesses are personal; and every good establishment has a bad day now and then. I'm not going to condemn Villa Chauvin or wish them ill, but neither do I think this matter was handled appropriately from what I have read here.

If you live far from the salon, that is understandable that you couldn't get there. However, why wasn't anyone else in the salon...a manager or head stylist...able to fill out an incident log or an accident report? On my customer service/public-related job, every single shift had at least one individual, if not more, who knew how to properly fill out an official accident or violence report and file it. And it had to be done immediately, or as soon as the person was conscious and alert (we had a few fainters) so that people couldn't come back later claiming injury.

it would seem especially important in this case...even if it was a minor nick, if there was blood it would still have had to result in certain safety procedures and checks, such as the razor/scissors/etc. being sterilized, yes?

Also, the post I was referring to was not the one about the turnover, but the one about the patron who had to ask the stylist to stop batting around her head. It did not seem that he was responsive in that situation.

Again, I wasn't there, I don't wish anyone harm, and hopefully everyone has learned something from this incident. Best wishes to all.

--alex

Comment

I don't see anybody really addressing LemonLime's original complaint which as he has reminded us wasn't about the nick on his ear but rather about the rude way he was treated by one of the employees and the fact someone there called his wife a b*tch.

Suzy you say it's unfair for LemonLime to call for a boycott but I don't see that he ever used the word boycott. You also say LemonLime shouldn't have complained on this web site. I for one am glad he did. I'd rather hear what people have to say and judge for myself than for people not be able to say what's on their minds. It was certainly perfectly proper for him to make his complaint here. I think the response to his complaint has been very revealing.

I think it's very strange that you would have so much to say against LemonLime for complaining and yet absolutely nothing to say against goldengirl for her really rude and inappropriate remarks. What she said here was far worse than anything LemonLime has said. She was outta control. And she was writing at the behest of the owner!

The fact that she did that from his computer suggests that he supported her remarks. If he would support those kinds of remarks here it's not a stretch to imagine that same attitude towards his customers filters down to his employees and it's easy to believe that one of his employees may have been verbally abusive.

I'm sorry, but it's just easy to believe after reading everything that has happened here.

If I had a run in like that with someone here in Chelsea I'd sure post it here. And by the way, nothing LemonLime said amounts to libel. It's his opinion about an event and you can't lie about your own opinions. For you to try to intimidate him by suggesting that he's somehow breaking the law by complaining, I find to be actually quite outrageous. You people who support these guys (with the exception of you BobW22), are completely overlooking what has happened just in this blog.

The owner of this salon had someone post a really nasty threatening type message and the you supporters of the owner have not said a word about that. Yet you accuse LemonLime of being really bad for daring to post a complaint here! If we can't complain here - where can we complain?

When someone asks for an incident report the point is that the report needs to be made at that time. If the merchant says "I'll do it next time I'm in" a customer would have to assume that that means it's never going to happen. The point of the report is that it's created when the incident happens. I'm still not sure why LL wanted the report exactly, but it's certainly his right to ask for one when something like this happens. I can imagine LemonLime going back a few days later and being told they don't know anything about what he's talking about. That's why you get the report when the incident occurs. Their stall tactics don't leave a good impression.

He didn't accuse the guy of being a drunk - he said he smelled alcohol on him and he said he was being threatening and abusive. Why should he not be allowed to say that on clickyourblock? If the merchant doesn't like it maybe he should have thought to tell his employees to be a little more respectful of their customers. Based on what I've seen the mercahnt do here - I think he has a nasty attitude towards his customers. Maybe he should just apologize for what happened. I haven't seen him apologize for the abusive manner in which his employee acted. That might be what's missing here.

And it doesn't leave a good impression that his supporters are trying to intimidate anyone who might dare complain by suggesting that they are committing libel. If that's the case we may as well just close down the whole internet!

Comment

Hi Charles,
                          I have to reply that if this is what really happened then I do apoligize but this is not the story that I recieved from anyone on my staff. So who's to say that there is any truth behind what we are being accused of. I have never been approached with such a complaint. As far as golden girl , she did and does use my computer and I was not home at the time. She also baby sits for me on occassion. As far as the incident report, I never said that I would not take care of that for her nor was it brought up. She never gave me a chance to even speak.In all actual,how many salons do you know that keep accident reports on hand.Also, Her only concern was to complain about the cut to her husbands ear and how she was going to report my salon and rudely hung up. If my stylist did offend her in such away,then she should have made me aware of that during our phone conversation.I can also assure you that I am far from being a nasty person. I guess that it easier to pass judgement on some one you do not know. Back to my apoligizing, I have apologized on several occassions and will do it again. I do not believe in being nasty. I have never been and never will be. I Know that I did state in my last response that I was not responding again but this really hurts me to know that someone really has it out for me and my salon. This is definately it for me.This topic is done for me. It is draining me. I am finished!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jay and Tito
                            As far as the incident report, I never said that I would not take care of that for her nor was it brought up. She never gave me a chance to even speak.In all actual,how many salons do you know that keep accident reports on hand.
                            well...

1. I would expect any business which deals with the public--particularly one where the employees are dealing with objects such as razors, scissors and chemicals--to have some sort of official procedure for reporting, in writing, accidents and injuries to staff and patrons. An accident report could just be a signed, written statement on a legal pad stating the details of the case and the witnesses; it doesn't have to be a special form. That's legal protection for you and for them. Even the McDonald's and the Duane Reade down the block do that.

2. In your earlier post you said that you spoke to the wife and " expressed my concern for them and their fears. I told her that if he needed to go to the doctor then we would take care of his medical bills along with any medication needed for any infection that may occur. She declined. I had apologized to her several times and all she kept saying was that she would report us. " now you are saying she wouldn't let you talk.

3. You said that GoldenGirl babysits for you and uses your computer, and you live two hours from Chelsea. But she was in the salon the day of the incident? And how did she find out about this thread or site, or how to register, without your help if she doesn't have a computer?

--alex

Comment

Wow, this all seems to be getting way out of hand.

If I were to read LL's post (broken down to: something went wrong - no one would help us) then read J&T's first reply (broken down to: you are a liar), I would have to say I would never go to this salon. There are so many choices in Chelsea, why go somewhere that responds in such a way to a customer's complaint?

I am in the customer service business, have been for years. I know some days are bad and most days are great. However, if anyone complained about any service my company or I had provided, I would never respond in such a way. And if I did, I wouldn't expect that person or 5 of his friends then 5 of his friends then 5 of his friends and so on to ever use my service again.

So, take out all the replies to this specific subject, break it down to the core of the problem:

1. LL had an issue with the company - be it true or untrue.

2. the company responded with: you're a liar - be it true or untrue (quote: “the episode above concering the injured ear was not as dramatic nor explained correctly. Please note that we will be posting a reply to these false acusations soon!”).

I would and will never support a business that feels this way about their customers, end of story.

And what's with everyone and their all caps replies? This is a civilized blog here people, no need to shout!

Comment

Originally posted by LemonLime
                                Sorry to slam this establishment, but I feel that my complaint is warranted. A stylist cut my ear during a trim (honest mistake, I know) and I asked the manager (and later the owner) for an incident report. I simply wanted proof of the injury, in case I developed an infection. The owner refused. Of course, this was unprofessional, but it is not the reason that I posting this alert. While my wife was talking to the owner via the receptionist's telephone a stylist approached her and called her "b*tch". We remained calm, as he smelled strongly of alcohol. My wife is a trained clinician and she thought that he appeared to be very unstable, so we tried to ignore him as best we could. He huffed and puffed--growing redder by the minute--entering a manic fit.

Interestingly, he had it out for my wife, who had been in the salon for less than 1 minute, and not for me. He was probably three times her size. Oh, all the more bizarre--he was not the stylist who cut my ear! Beware of this place. No names here, but the guy is tall, blond, slim and has a ruddy/pink complexion. We have filed the appropriate complaints and an investigation is underway. During the entire time he was screaming, not one staff member attempted to calm him down. My wife asked the owner to talk to him, via the phone. Thankfully the owner got him to leave (I assume).

My wife got back on the phone but the owner refused to offer any professional courtesy. All we wanted was a letter stating that my ear had been cut and that I had bled. He went on and on about "his word". By that point we were terrified of the smelly, muscular, unstable stylist and we just wanted to get out of the salon. This could have been so much worse, but I guess the guy was lucky that we are highly refined, and not impulsive. The place is on West 23rd. (between 7th and 8th Ave).

I do not care if this is aberrant behavior for the staff at Villa Chauvin, so staff need not respond. It only takes one rotten apple to sour a pie. In all, not cool to call someone "b*tch" simply because they want a letter stating that their spouse bled in your salon. The behavior was particularly heinous, considering that we were so pleasant and mild-mannered about the incident. By the way, the receptionist/manager was very kind and professional. The same cannot be said about the other stylists, who watched in horror as this man displaced his rage onto my wife. I would hate to have to work in such an environment. One can only imagine that this is not the first time that this guy acted inappropriately.

I HAVE BEEN HAVING MY HAIR DONE AT VILLA CHAUVIN FOR SEVERAL YEARS BY SEVERAL DIFFERENT STYLIST AND HAVE NEVER HAD A BAD EXPERIENCE AND HAVE BEEN MORE THAN HAPPY WITH EVERY HAIRCUT AND COLOR. IT'S HARD TO BELIEVE WHAT'S POSTED ON THIS SITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X