Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towerstream is building out a dense Wi-Fi zone

FYI:
    Towerstream is building out a dense Wi-Fi zone in our neighborhood. I ran into a tech at 327 21st who was installing another antenna for coverage in the courtyard.

To read more:http://community.comsoc.org/blogs/aj...e-data-offload

Re: Towerstream is building out a dense Wi-Fi zone

I tried to read that article to figure out what it means for us everyday folks. I could really understand it.
    "this Metro WiFi project is different. It's intended to be used for mobile data traffic offload from 3G and 4G networks. Data traffic that's offloaded to a Wi-Fi network doesn't use local cell towers or capacity on cellular backhaul connections…"

Anyone?

Comment

That means they're building this network to take the load off of the cell phone networks. So when someone walks through this area, their phone will automatically connect to this new WiFi network (if they've already configured it to do so), and whatever data that is sent through their phone over the internet will go through the Towerstream network instead of the cell phone network.

The cell phone networks are totally bogged down right now with the massive amount of internet data people are using from their phones. So I guess they're looking for any and every way they can find to get that traffic off their cell networks and onto some other network. Maybe they're paying Towerstream something to do this - I don't know.

Comment

Newsbuoy - for some reason I couldn't get to this article by clicking on the link you posted - so here's another link I found that seems to go to the same article:

http://community.comsoc.org/blogs/al...e-data-offload

Comment

Gowex wi fi is a free network available to all throughout our area. they earn part of their money by doing some kind of offloading stuff. it's beyond me how it works.

they have free spots on 25th off 8th and 28th and 8th among other places

Comment

Don't even know why I'm replying to that stupid phone jammer post -- but suffice it to say that those things are illegal, and I guess I feel I should address that.

Comment

reported the spam this morning magpie

Comment

Working...
              X